PDA

View Full Version : I was HACKED

shockwaveriderz
07-18-2011, 08:18 PM
my shockwaveriderz hotmail email account was compromised so I am retiring it.

please use shockwaveriderz at yahoo.com for the time being.

Terry Dean

Jerry Irvine
07-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I was spammed by it.

Sunward
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
my shockwaveriderz hotmail email account was compromised so I am retiring it...
I hope you were using a strong password and one different from all other sites. :confused:

mycrofte
07-19-2011, 04:33 AM
My yahoo account was hacked a month or so ago. I just changed the password and been fine since.

Not sure if it was a password stored on my computer or not. But, when it asks to remember the password I said NO...

Randy
07-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Well now, I didn't realize so many people here were related to the Royal Family. I have to watch BBC America more often.

:chuckle:

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

DaveR
07-19-2011, 10:01 AM
My yahoo account was hacked a month or so ago. I just changed the password and been fine since.

Not sure if it was a password stored on my computer or not. But, when it asks to remember the password I said NO...
Mine too. I changed the password and also exported/imported the contact list and haven't had any trouble since. The hacker SPAMed the CEO of my company with a sex site. (The CEO is female :eek: )

Pem Tech
07-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Mine too. The hacker SPAMed the CEO of my company with a sex site. (The CEO is female :eek: )

Ouch!
:eek:

Bet that went over well....

My Gmail account was hacked in June. So, how are they getting our passwords??
mine is just random letters and numbers.

rocketroar
07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Typically it's some other piece of malware that infects your machine. Then it's nothing for them to watch your keystrokes. The next most common factor is unsecured wireless access points (WEP/WPA does NOT mean unhackable), once I can either crack your WEP keys or brute force your WPA then I am able to sit and watch all of your traffic, or route all of your traffic from your laptop directly through mine. Once that's done, I can see everytime you login, and simply take a clone of one of your login cookies and start my own session.

So at the end of the day:

1) Be careful where you browse. Use as much common sense when launching rockets as when web browsing.

2) Use WPA2 on your home router with a completely random password.

3) Keep your firewall on and some kind of anti-virus.

That'll keep out 80% of the garbage. The other 20% there's nothing you can do about, as they're already stealing from banks and governments :)

Pem Tech
07-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Typically it's some other piece of malware that infects your machine. Then it's nothing for them to watch your keystrokes. The next most common factor is unsecured wireless access points (WEP/WPA does NOT mean unhackable), once I can either crack your WEP keys or brute force your WPA then I am able to sit and watch all of your traffic, or route all of your traffic from your laptop directly through mine. Once that's done, I can see everytime you login, and simply take a clone of one of your login cookies and start my own session.

So at the end of the day:

1) Be careful where you browse. Use as much common sense when launching rockets as when web browsing.

2) Use WPA2 on your home router with a completely random password.

3) Keep your firewall on and some kind of anti-virus.

That'll keep out 80% of the garbage. The other 20% there's nothing you can do about, as they're already stealing from banks and governments :)

Very interesting, thanks for the insight.
Is there malware targeting Mac's? I know our Windows boxes aren't that secure so I may have to stop checking email at work.

rocketroar
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Well not in the same sense as for Windows machines no. However, Macs are still prone to being hacked, so the firewall thing is of utmost importance. Putting a Mac behind a router is also handy so it's not exposed to the internet directly.

DaveR
07-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Ouch!

Bet that went over well....

I've had much nicer conversations with her. She did calm down a bit when I explained what had happened.

Pem Tech
07-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Well not in the same sense as for Windows machines no. However, Macs are still prone to being hacked, so the firewall thing is of utmost importance. Putting a Mac behind a router is also handy so it's not exposed to the internet directly.

Thanks

o1d_dude
07-21-2011, 08:30 PM
The issue with Macs is that there are now more of them online than there are unprotected PC's. Further compounding the problem is that Mac users have become complacent and believe there is no Mac specific malware out there. Macs are now a much easier target than a hardened PC.

Mac Defender is giving Apple fits right now. Apple has very little experience with malware and their various fixes are good for about six hours. That's how long it takes the bad guys to bypass or otherwise circumvent the fix.

Bazookadale
07-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Getting your email hacked is no fun, but today I just got my credit card hacked. Citibank caught it and contacted me and told me they must cancel the card . Great - I am leaving tomorrow for Naram without my credit card - hope the hotel takes my debit card or I will be paying cash :mad: