PDA

View Full Version : First flight blues

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-28-2011, 06:02 PM
I was really looking forward to NARAM this morning. Really, REALLY looking forward to it. Several first flight birds to fly, nothing but C, D & E motors to fly on the sport range, I was thinking I had it all figured out. Had the bases covered.
Well, I didn't.
First flight of the day was the Viking 5 that I spent the last few days painting. It turned out looking great in it's HHS Bluebird white and blue livery. Loaded it with an E9-6 within ten minutes of arriving at the field. QUIVERING with anticip-ation! FIVEFOURTHREETWOONE! BOOM! My first real CATO, and WOW, was it ever! Not much to say except HOLY @#$%!, so I'll let the pics take it from here.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/002-1.jpg

On pad glamour shot. :cool:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/006-3.jpg

Ignition.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/007-1.jpg

Lets out a big supplosion. (For the Gary Burbank fans out there.)

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/008.jpg

OOF!

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/009.jpg

Bottom half, launch lugs sheared, motor gone, but mercifully unscathed.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/011.jpg

Top half also lost the lug, but blown clear of the carnage.
Looks like the only real damage was to the motor itself. It's an almost clean burn-through, with only the tiniest bit of propellant still existing insde the tube. Yeah, I'll be sending in a MESS form. At $20+ a pack, I can't afford to let this go by the wayside. Tonight I plan to reattach the launch lugs, replace the broken elastic and have it ready for the first flight of Friday. Hopefully the pics will be happier. ;)

tbzep
07-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I'll be sending in a MESS form. At $20+ a pack, I can't afford to let this go by the wayside.
That won't get you any new motors. Do the MESS and send a separate email to Estes. Better yet, run to the Estes tent, get on your knees and kiss Mary Roberts' feet. You are good at begging, right? :chuckle:

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-28-2011, 06:21 PM
That won't get you any new motors. Do the MESS and send a separate email to Estes. Better yet, run to the Estes tent, get on your knees and kiss Mary Roberts' feet. You are good at begging, right? :chuckle:
:D I knew that. I planned to send an e-mail to Estes. One of the packs that I got from Hobby Lobby last week is all bulged out and won't be able to fit into my rockets without major surgery, so I may also have to see about those. :mad:

Ltvscout
07-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Cool CATO shots!

Swillie
07-28-2011, 08:01 PM
:D I knew that. I planned to send an e-mail to Estes. One of the packs that I got from Hobby Lobby last week is all bulged out and won't be able to fit into my rockets without major surgery, so I may also have to see about those. :mad:

Beautiful rocket, nice to see it survived. I am still amazed at how many great models are out there. Was this from a kit or created from old plans? I picked up 2 packs of E9-6's and an E9-4 from Hobby Lobby last week with the 40% coupons too (plus a Shuttle Express kit and an E- Launch Pad and controller, it's a good coupon) I better check those motors a little closer.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Cool CATO shots!
Yeah, I was bummed about the CATO itself, but I knew I had something that might be pretty neat because the camera was in burst mode to catch the launch. I stopped just because I was stunned or there would be more. :rolleyes:

chrism
07-28-2011, 08:17 PM
It could have been worse..nice job on the rocket though!

El Cheapo
07-28-2011, 08:39 PM
YeeHawwww!!!! Great shots. Luckily no damage. Nice bird. I love the FSI Viking rockets. I modeled my L1 after their tube fins as will my L2.

Gary Byrum
07-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I hate it when that "chit" happens. At least you still have your rocket. Looks like an easy fix though. There was no saving my Sat V from my 1st CATO back in 71-72. Meatloaf recovery.

luke strawwalker
07-28-2011, 09:42 PM
I hate it when that "chit" happens. At least you still have your rocket. Looks like an easy fix though. There was no saving my Sat V from my 1st CATO back in 71-72. Meatloaf recovery.

MEATLOAF RECOVERY??

That's a new one by me... I've heard of rekitting, post-hole recovery, shovel recovery, core sampling, etc. but meatloaf recovery is a new one...

Later! OL JR :)

PS. Nice shots Fish... glad you didn't have your rocket shredded and burned. Nice paint job!

stefanj
07-28-2011, 10:11 PM
The Viking V came out looking a lot like my old one. The payload section might be a bit long, but it has been 18 years since I gave it away so I can't be sure.

I hope you get a chance for a succesful flight soon!

Gary Byrum
07-29-2011, 07:09 AM
MEATLOAF RECOVERY??

That's a new one by me... I've heard of rekitting, post-hole recovery, shovel recovery, core sampling, etc. but meatloaf recovery is a new one...

Aw I musta had food on the brain again. Last time I commented on someones crash I referred to it as "rocket goulash".

ghrocketman
07-29-2011, 09:08 AM
This kind of cato is about the best one can hope for in the case of a cato; spectacular looking but next to no rocket damage.

jharding58
07-29-2011, 10:23 AM
The ten year old pyro in me loves frame three; little bits of propellant trailing flame and smoke, and frame four; big bits of propellant trailing flame and smoke. It looks like the model survived and will fly again?

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Well, I thought scorched paint, dismembered lugs and a broken shock cord were the extent of the damage, but when I tried to put a motor in at the sport range today, I found out different. When I pushed today's E9-6 into the motor mount, the mount moved noticeably. Looks like the centering rings were torn loose and the whole mount will need to be pulled and replaced. :( I was bummed, but the rest of the day went reasonably well. I'll try to post pics later.