Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Claremont Rocket Society (CA 1965-92) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15317)

Jerry Irvine 08-13-2015 11:38 AM

Claremont Rocket Society (CA 1965-92)

5 Attachment(s)
The Claremont Rocket Society was formed as a sponsored entity by the City of Claremont Parks and Recreation Department (now Human Services). One of the interesting facts about the club is it held weekly launches with about 20-50 participants over the course of many years. It had a dedicated building at 10th and Yale in Claremont. I am attaching a photograph of the sign from the roof of that building.

In approximately 1969 I was assisting participants with installing motors into their model rockets with club supplied motors. The launch field is a multiple baseball field just to the north of Claremont High School called Cahuilla Park, operated by the City of Claremont. It is named after the local historical Native Indian tribe. We were open to all races and genders and the fact that needs to be said is notable.

As a club 4-5 of us did regular rocket demonstrations at all the schools in the city and most in nearby cities. We did demos at High School football halftimes. We were a major outreach machine. This image is a Tall Tail 10 with a D12-3. It only went about 200 feet or less. It always recovered reliably and gracefully to big cheers! The kids (audience) love to help with the countdown!

In the back yard of the CRS HQ we had a basketball court. It was our static test facility. Here is an image of the test stand in use. It used a BBQ motor to slowly turn a large coffee can with the data paper taped to the outside. The motor is placed on a swing arm with a calibrated spring. When the can rotates to fresh paper we fired the test and got great data every time from the pencil directly writing on it. The spring had a maximum range of about 30 Newtons. Analog.

Historical Jerry

Jerry Irvine 08-13-2015 12:38 PM

The first G motors in California

5 Attachment(s)
The first "consumer grade" G motors in California were generally considered to be the Enerjet G76. These 29mm motors with filament fiberglass case, graphite nozzle and bulkhead, retained with epoxy, and filled with Flexane based APCP, used a design licensed from Irv Wait of Rocket Development Corporation.

The first known G motors in CA were sold by Iron Horse Hobbies in Tustin, CA (Kerry Hoffman) who serviced the Anaheim Model Rocket club whose members included kids Gary Rosenfield and Dave Griffith.

I had the opportunity to go and see the Enerjet motors only two of which were certified for use in CA at the time the E24 and the F52. To obtain an F67 one had to drive to Arizona, which Kerry did and had inventory at his store in the "back room". He even had a sample of a "unicorn motor", the rumored and stealthy Enerjet G76! So off to Arizona I dragged my poor parents in the guise of a family vacation! That's where I purchased my first Enerjet 2250 and 2650 kits as well as a few F67's and of course, G76's, directly from Lee Piester!

This is a report of the first ever published flight of an Enerjet G76 in California. Probably not the very first flight, but close. First published August 13, 2015.

The rocket I built for this "powerful" motor was a 2.25" thick wall tube 4FNC rocket with a 29mm mount. The rocket was prepped as normal and the G76 installed using the Larry Brown at Enerjet recommended tape thrust ring on the rear of the motor and a layer of tape to retain the motor in the rocket. This technique allowed any length Enerjet motor, E, F or G to be used without spacers.

The attached images show Jerry Irvine with the 2.25" (Nike-payload) Enerjet G76 powered "educational" rocket.

Walking the rocket to the pad with Best Friend Dave Goldberg looking on with his traditional yellow hard hat with NAR logo attached. Dave works at Disney now.

Best Friend Eric Ferm assists with putting the rocket on the pad with larger than normal launch rod and wide wood base. He has an orange hard hat denoting RSO. Eric works at IBM now.

Launch! of the first recorded G motor launch in California with launch control officer in clear view. Note the lack of smoke.

Recovery of the rocket in good condition with a happy rocketeer.

Removal of the motor shows the typical label free Enerjet G76 motor in great condition.

Approximately 1970.

Name Dropper Jerry

Current production version:
http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/banshee.htm

dlazarus6660 08-13-2015 04:42 PM

Now that's the kinda stuff I like to read about. 45 years ago.

tbzep 08-13-2015 05:18 PM

I can't get enough of this kind of stuff, Jerry. I love reading old Model Rocketeer mags from the 70's along with posts like this. Keep posting and maybe even pull in some of your old club members to add more to the thread!

BTW, those photos have held up extremely well. Most color that age has considerable fade. The developer did a good job washing and fixing. Storage was probably easy in your low humidity climate.

Jerry Irvine 08-13-2015 05:37 PM

Correct. Actual old skewl. Literally. I have to post before I am dead!

Here is 1970 ish.

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-13-2015 06:50 PM

These are awesome! :cool:

snaquin 08-13-2015 07:09 PM

Wow, Jerry ... Awesome post and pictures! Love that low smoke shot of the boost, so cool.

I never had the opportunity to fly any EnerJet motors.

:(

Thanks for documenting this here.

:cool:

(I think your Banshee link is broken)

Jerry Irvine 08-13-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
:cool:

(I think your Banshee link is broken)
Work at buying a Banshee and a Sonic 3100.

snaquin 08-13-2015 08:39 PM

So about ten years before "Who flew the G?", looks like you flew the G76

..... and came back with a big smile on your face!

:D

Jerry Irvine 08-13-2015 08:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Satellite 62 SL dude.

In the rocket club room. At the launch fields with friends. Getting ready for launch.

Jerry