Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintage Estes Tomcat Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3125)

scigs30 04-07-2008 09:49 PM

Vintage Estes Tomcat Build

I am starting my next vintage Estes build. I was watching Top Gun the other night so I decided to build the Tomcat. I own a few of these kits and couldn't wait to start to build one. The kit wood is ok and the decals are great. I am going to keep it light by using Aerogloss sealer for the wood, one coat of primer and one coat of paint. I am using my postal scale to make sure the wings weigh the same throughout construction.

dwmzmm 04-07-2008 10:18 PM

I'm gonna be watching and waiting; good luck and keep us posted!!

barone 04-08-2008 07:29 AM

You know, other than my own experience, I have yet to hear anyone comment on flying this model. Let me relate mine and please relate yours.

I built mine when the model first came on the market, early 90s. Maybe my building technique was off then but that thing was heavy and it was all it could do to get in the air on a C6, let alone glide. I switched to flying with a SU D something from Aerotech. Much better flight but still heavy. But it was kinda neat to watch the residual smoke from the ejection charge billowing out the bottom as it glided......yep, it even flew like it was shot down. Maybe I'll try to fly it this coming weekend.......

Eagle3 04-08-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
You know, other than my own experience, I have yet to hear anyone comment on flying this model. Let me relate mine and please relate yours.

I've flown mine once. It began pulling up once it cleared the rod, did a complete loop around some power lines near the launch pad, popped the wings as it was coming down and barely pulled out of the dive before plowing into the ground. It glided for about 40' before setting down. Launching it at a slight angle probably saved it from digging a ditch.

PaulK 04-08-2008 08:04 AM

A fellow from my local club flew his twice this weekend; the first flight was great, pulled into a glide quickly, and had an interesting circling pattern; first one direction, then curved around to the other direction, and landed nicely. The second flight sort of corkscrewed down, until about 50', then pulled out for a nice level glide to the ground. It was quite breezy. He built it very light, no sealer on the wood IIRC, and did not balance it per the instructions (it did not glide well at all using this method). He simply balanced it as one would any glider by hand tossing and adjusting weight. Very nice.

cas2047 04-08-2008 08:48 AM

Theres some great build, trimming and flight info on this model over on EMRR: http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...est_tomcat.html

After reading about this kit there I picked one up off of ebay a year or so ago. It's been sitting here waiting to be built ever since. After coming back to the hobby as a BAR I have developed a "build pile", and it seems to grow constantly, and there isn't any particular order that I follow. Priorities shift all the time. I never wanted a "build pile". It just kind of happened. :rolleyes:

STRMan 04-08-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
I never wanted a "build pile". It just kind of happened. :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean! Here is my current "build pile".

Estes Space Ship One Launchable
Estes Polaris
Estes Wizard
Estes Hi-Flier
Semroc Hyday-7
Semroc Space Shuttle
Semroc Golden Scout (2 of them- 1 for me and 1 for my daughter)
PD Rocketry Trident

I'd love to add a Tomcat to my build list. I better keep my eyes open for one.

ghrocketman 04-08-2008 12:26 PM

This one sounds like a good POWR-PRANGER !
I think I'll let others build them and watch the destructo-launches.
The Estes Soaring Eagle was notorious for this as well unless built almost PERFECTLY.

Eagle3 04-08-2008 12:32 PM

My Soaring Eagle always flew really well and I built that well before I became good with boost gliders. I remember the first Flat Cat I built. Flew great and eventually lost it. Next one I built wouldn't trim and flies like crap. Everything is straight and the CG is right *shrugs*

metalhead100 04-08-2008 07:01 PM

I built one of these came out great ...except it glided like a rock....So i never launched it.

I always thought it was so neat and simple how they did the exhaust valve to pop the wings open.
Keep it as light as possible.it has flat planks for wings,not the best for generating lift.

And if there is slop where the wing stack mounts.they will change positions(angles of attack) and effect each flight different.Making it a bear to trim.

Also after setting the CG as they say.....hang the model (wings open) from the nose (tip) and from the top of the main body tube and lateral ballance for a slight left hand turn.

We balance RC Airplanes both ways...CG and lateral CG(span wise)....that way when you pull a loop or vertical...she goes straight.

If it turns right...it might (in a million years) try to thermal...but im shure its to heavy for that..so it would probably just upset the flight with a bump and a turn.....thermals can take light gliders cross country. Never to be seen again.

Fly over a feild of soft tall grass.

Mine was lost...when i lost interest in rockets,never flown.

Jim