Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MPC Flare Patriot (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17142)

Initiator001 03-03-2018 09:39 PM

MPC Flare Patriot

1 Attachment(s)
As my Semroc/Centuri Spartan model has been sprayed with primer and is now awaiting a good day for painting, I decided to begin another model.

I chose a MPC Mach 10 Series Flare Patriot.

Balsa fins with the pattern printed on the wood.

If I can't find a better 'factory' paint scheme I will just have to come up with my own.

stefanj 03-04-2018 11:57 AM

I had a couple of these back in the day. Long lost!

The body tubes sand down really smooth, and take sanding sealer well. Good hard balsa, as I recall.

Man, yeah, the box art for those MPC kits doesn't help much when it comes to paint-job guidance. They often show metallics, which are hard to pull off.

P.S. It looks like they put in a sheet of alternative fin patterns! Can you scan that in or take a picture?

Initiator001 03-09-2018 01:28 AM

The body tubes are really smooth and don't really have any visible seams.
Even so, I applied one coat of FNF and sanded the tubes. They're ready to go.

The balsa fins took four coats of FNF with sanding after each coat.
Balsa sucked up the filler like a sponge does water.
I can still see wood grain but four coats are my limit. A couple of coats of primer should help.

Initiator001 04-07-2018 11:06 PM

Done

1 Attachment(s)
The MPC Flare Patriot build is done.

I chose a paint scheme that reminded me of a French sounding rocket (I think).

The body tubes sanded very smooth after minimal filling, primer and sanding. The paint looks very clean.

I used the kit included parachute and shroud lines but I had to replace the 'shroud tabs' as these parts did not 'grab' any longer.

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-07-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I had a couple of these back in the day. Long lost!

The body tubes sand down really smooth, and take sanding sealer well. Good hard balsa, as I recall.

Man, yeah, the box art for those MPC kits doesn't help much when it comes to paint-job guidance. They often show metallics, which are hard to pull off.

P.S. It looks like they put in a sheet of alternative fin patterns! Can you scan that in or take a picture?

Pretty sure I included the alternate fin patterns when I scanned my Flare Patriot. Check YORP.

mojo1986 04-07-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

I chose a paint scheme that reminded me of a French sounding rocket (I think).

The body tubes sanded very smooth after minimal filling, primer and sanding. The paint looks very clean.

I used the kit included parachute and shroud lines but I had to replace the 'shroud tabs' as these parts did not 'grab' any longer.

Wow! Looks very sharp! great color combination!

leftover 04-07-2018 11:29 PM

Looks great!
I love these old MPC kits been buying them as I find them.

Wonder how many different models there are.

John Brohm 04-08-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

... The paint looks very clean.

Bob;

The model looks great! Very sharp lines. Well done sir! Will this one earn a car ride to Pueblo?

Initiator001 04-09-2018 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Will this one earn a car ride to Pueblo?

It's a possibility. ;) :D

Blastfromthepast 04-09-2018 08:41 AM

Nice looking Flare Patriot! Really great color scheme. That was the problem with the old MPC kits back in the day. The box illustrations were artist renderings of the models, and there were no real standard recommended color schemes. All of the decals supplied were the standard MPC designs. They pretty much left it up to the individual rocketeer to come up with their own paint pattern and markings.
I had an original kit back in the early seventies. A close copy (Estes tubing) is on my near- future build list as well as a MPC Theta Cajun.
I also like the display stand you built for this model!