Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hexagonal tubing? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1440)

EchoVictor 01-31-2007 04:59 PM

Hexagonal tubing?

After reading through some of the SVDT threads here, I got a sense that some folks would like to see something completely new come out of this endeavor. While a lot of folks are excited about new motor possibilities, I've been brainstorming about what "new" thing could be done on the design side.

We all pretty much work with standard components, such as fins, nose cones, and body tubes. But what if you could really change the shape (and thus the look) of those?

Where I'm headed with this line of thought is changing the look of the body tubes. I've never rolled my own, but would it be possible to do a different shape than a circle? Say, a hexagon or a square?

The look I have in my head is along the lines of Estes #1929 Stealth kit. The only problem with that one was that the plastic body made it really heavy. What if you could have hexagonal paper tubes? You could make some really wild, angular looking designs. I think this would have real visual impact, like how a Cadillac CTS really stands out from all of the other "aerodynamic-jelly bean" shaped cars.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Eric

sandman 01-31-2007 05:57 PM

If you could make a hexaon form out of a piece of wood. Or an octaon...that would be easier...then form the tube around it.

It could be done.

I could make a nose cone that would fit it. :D

Ltvscout 01-31-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
If you could make a hexaon form out of a piece of wood. Or an octaon...that would be easier...then form the tube around it.

It could be done.

I could make a nose cone that would fit it. :D

At one time Apogee sold wood tubes. That endeavor flopped.

SDI sold those laser cut wood rockets. That endeavor flopped as well.

A Fish Named Wallyum 01-31-2007 06:52 PM

Gimmick. Reminds me of the "cheesy foam controversy", and we know where that one went.

barone 01-31-2007 07:35 PM

I think if you're looking for the "angular" look, probably the best way to accomplish it would be to start with a body tube and build a balsa (or paper) body around it. One now defunct company (I think it was FatCat Rocketry) used two body tubes glued side to side and covered them with a paper shroud to achieve a somewhat angular apperance. I wish I had gotten the rocket...... :(

Mark II 02-27-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
I think if you're looking for the "angular" look, probably the best way to accomplish it would be to start with a body tube and build a balsa (or paper) body around it. One now defunct company (I think it was FatCat Rocketry) used two body tubes glued side to side and covered them with a paper shroud to achieve a somewhat angular apperance. I wish I had gotten the rocket...... :(

Still, I think that Eric's idea has some merit. It would be much easier to achieve that effect if the tube already started out in that shape. Might open up new possibilities for designs. Such a part could be used to fabricate some elements of a design (and not be used for gimmicky, cheesy-looking rockets). I'm thinking, for instance, of the Jupiter expedition rocket (the one with HAL) from 2001. The suggestion is worth a consideration, at least.

Mark Kulka

EchoVictor 04-21-2008 10:37 PM

Coming soon from Estes;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LNTZN6&P=G

They been snooping around here and grab my idea? Maybe? ;)

Later,
EV

mycrofte 01-20-2019 04:25 AM

Anyone ever find a hexagonal tube? Only ones I can find online are metal or cardstock shapes. None with the strength of a rocket tube.

Had an idea running through my head but cardstock wouldn't work without massive structural support.

Jerry Irvine 01-20-2019 09:41 AM

My tube company can make those really easy. Ace Rocket Manufacturing circa 1970-2 made a square rocket kit WITH balsa nose cone to fit. If I had 24 kit reservations I would manufacture an approx 2-3" diameter 29mm rocket with all the proper parts for about $99 direct sale only.

No need to wish when it is reality.

Square, hex or oct practical. I prefer octagonal.

Bluegrass Rocket 01-20-2019 10:41 AM

After having some health issues with a short hiatus, I’m working on new kits for release later this year. As such, 2019 marks 10 years of NewWay making square kits. There are many other tube shapes available from the manufacturer, having seen them in person, and I have an octagonal sample. Like any thing, it just takes the investment to have them made. I had looked into other shapes but, the nose ones seemed impossible to make. Now with 3D printing technology it seems like a more realistic possibility to make nose cones.