Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Roachwerks 1/12 Scale Nike Hercules (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1707)

barone 05-05-2007 12:09 PM

Roachwerks 1/12 Scale Nike Hercules Build

1 Attachment(s)
Gordon was nice enough to allow me to Beta test his new kit and to document the build here. Just got the package today and I'm really eager to open it but my wife has plans for me and if I open it, I'll never get to her things ;) . Anyway, the first thing I noticed is that Gordon is taking lessons from Carl (SEMROC) as to packaging. Remeber how Carl got all the parts for the Saturn 1B into a really small box? Well, Gordon appears to have done the same..... :rolleyes:

barone 05-05-2007 01:30 PM

I couldn't wait....

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I opened it......here's a picture of the parts laid out.....

sandman 05-05-2007 05:45 PM

Hmmmm....did I forget the engine hooks on your kit?

And one centering ring?

barone 05-05-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Hmmmm....did I forget the engine hooks on your kit?

And one centering ring?
LOL......**** you looked close. No, the engine hooks were there, just sitting on my desk when I took the picture. And, of course, I didn't notice till after the picture and I figured....what the hell, there're small.....no one will notice.

But yes, there were only three CR50-55s. I wasn't worried because I figured I could dig one up somewhere.

sandman 05-05-2007 06:09 PM

LOL...I guess I just opened and closed you "beta" kit too many times.

I knew I would forget something.

That's why they call it a test. :D

barone 05-06-2007 10:18 AM

Booster Motor Tube Assembly

3 Attachment(s)
Started to assemble the motor boosters. The first pic below shows the parts needed for this portion. I used an expended motor casing to install the engine block.

I marked the motor tubes 1.25", 3.5" and 11" from one end of the motor tube (this end is the aft end)(Picture 2). Glue is applied 3.5" inside the motor tube and then the motor block is inserted so that the motor extends from the motor tube .25". I then drew a line parallel to the body tube, connecting the marks made at the 1.25" and 3.5" locations. Cut a slit for the motor hook where the line intersects the 3.5" mark. I then applied a line of glue on the line, installed the motor hook, setting it into the line of glue. Once this set up, I wrapped masking tape around the tube at the 1.25" mark and installed a laser cut centering ring at the masking tape (1.25" mark). A paper CR50-55 is glued in place so the forward edge of it is flush with the 11" mark. Picture 3 shows the completed motor tube assembly. This then is glued inside the BT-55 booster tube. I applied glue 1.5" inside the aft end of the booster tube and slid the motor tube into the forward end of the booster tube (motor hook end first). Once the aft CR was inside the booster tube, I applied glue to the inside forward end of the booster tube and completed installing the motor tube. The motor hook will be flush with the aft end of the booster tube and the forward end of the motor tube will stick out of the forward end of the booster tube by .25" (this part will provide the glueing surface for mating to the really fantastically handmade transition).

Next installment will be the booster assembly.......

barone 05-18-2007 05:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay....Booster tubes have been assembled and are ready to be put together. For these steps, you need the assembled booster tubes and X spacers. I deviated from the plans somewhat, well, nt really deviated but added some stuff to make it easier to assemble. Below is a picture of what you need.....

I added alignment lines on the X spacers and along the booster tubes (in line with the motor hooks) so I could align all the hooks in the center of the booster assembly.

barone 05-18-2007 06:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next, I used the transition section and an additional yet un-named tool to help align the booster tubes while gluing on the X spacers. Notice I'm only glueing on one spacer at a time....I don't want the yet un-named tool to be between the spacers and not be able to get it off with out cutting it. :rolleyes: Gordon and I have found another use for it later on....Once these two tubes are glued together, I'll post info for the remaining tubes....Not that it's going to be much different but I like pictures of things laying on top of others.... :eek:

sandman 05-18-2007 06:08 PM

I may use your pictures in the updated instructions. :D

barone 05-18-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I may use your pictures in the updated instructions. :D

Oh you flatter me... :o