Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Newbomb's New Builds (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14260)

BARGeezer 10-06-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
I wanted a quick and easy build, so I selected the recent Star Orbiter. Wasn't particularly quick as I took my time epoxying the body joint and fins as I anticipate stress during flight.

One question: Has anyone flown this one yet? Born without an engine block, the instructions tell us to wrap 6 or so 1/8 inch wraps of masking tape around the bottom of the engine to simulate a composite engine. I've never done this. Does it work? Worried about not having a thrust ring.

(Okay, that was two questions.)

Flew the Star Orbiter on a 24mm E with the Estes plastic adaptor. Nice straight flight, maybe 1200 ft. Used the masking tape flange on a few kits, works well. ASP sells both Tamiya 6mm (approx 1/4") tape and generic 1/4" tape. Difference is the Tamiya is 18 meters long but the generic is 60 YARDS. So more than three times longer, for less. Should last you for hundreds of flights, at $1.99. Cheers.

https://www.asp-rocketry.com/ecomme.....cfm?cat_id=73

Newbomb Turk 10-18-2018 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, BG, and everyone for sharing their knowledge.

Now, I don't believe I've formally introduced what I call my Quadraphonic Blaupunkt of Goblins.

1) A mini, culled from a Mini-Red Max. Hand cut fins, Semroc nose cone and Sandman decals.

2) Semroc Goblin, the kit.

3) Upscale with ST-20, custom nose cone and decals from Sandman. Hand cut fins.

4) Upscale from a Leviathon kit. Tube and internals from the kit. Staggeringly beautiful nose cone and decals from Sandman. Hand cut fins.

Oddly, I'd never had a Goblin as a kid but have really enjoyed them as a BAR. All of these have flown many times, and will continue to.

Newbomb Turk 12-14-2018 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had need to replace my second Patriot clone, having seen it splash down unretrievably in a remote pond. I opened the recent re-release and had at it.
Because of course, I boofed a couple of decals after being almost perfect on my last one, but at least I again have one in my fleet. D-enigine mount for the club, adapting down for the NTMLF.

Newbomb Turk 12-14-2018 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While waiting for some glue to dry on the recent Patriot, I realized that, after kit-bashing a couple of Nova Payloaders early in my BARhood, I had fins and most everything to actually build one. So I set the Patriot to one side of my work space and here we go.

ghrocketman 12-14-2018 06:19 PM

Never found anything in the least bit interesting about the Nova Payloader.
Single stage, weird fins, boring decals, boring color scheme.
Some seem to like the design, but I don't even pretend to understand.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Newbomb Turk 12-14-2018 06:32 PM

Bernard Cawley would like a word with you. :)

Personally, I consider anything, inside or outside of rocketry, that includes both red and black to be devinely inspired.

Newbomb Turk 12-20-2018 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And while waiting for some glue to dry on the Nova Payloader, I sliced open the bag to my other birthday gift: a Mini-Comanche 3. What a fun build! Really enjoyed it and I think it came out okay.

Below find the finished model, then a family shot with its well-worn five flight big brother.

Now that it is finished, I think I'll build 10 or 15 more Nova Payloaders. :rolleyes:

BEC 12-20-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Bernard Cawley would like a word with you. :)

Nah.....some things are just a lost cause. :D

I just hung my most recent NP in a tree at my club's December launch....and it's well and truly embedded so I think even today's windstorm will likely just get it stuck harder. So I guess I need to build another. I like how Estes went back to waterslide decals for the most recent release.

ghrocketman 12-20-2018 04:38 PM

It's an uglified version of the Icarus.

BEC 12-20-2018 04:46 PM

Well, I won't comment on the aesthetic judgement (other than to say that I see it the other way 'round), but the Icarus and the first version of the Nova Payloader do appear to share quite a few parts.