Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cloning Canaroc (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14935)

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-25-2015 02:23 AM

Cloning Canaroc

I'm about to start on my first Canaroc clone, most likely the Orion seeing as how the decals are already available and the nose cone looks "familiar". Anyone else gone North and have any pics they'd like to share? :cool:

Gus 03-25-2015 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill,

My favorite Canaroc build so far has been the Eager Beaver. Gordy has decals for it and can make you a nosecone if needed.

But if you are really adventurous you might want to try the Antares or Starfighter Scorpion. Those are truly amazing exotic designs. And both are still fortunately available under different names from Sunward Rockets as the Sunward Galactic Wave and Gravity Rider.

Canaroc made some of the most visually appealing model rocket kits ever produced. They were a great company.

Steve

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-25-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Bill,

My favorite Canaroc build so far has been the Eager Beaver. Gordy has decals for it and can make you a nosecone if needed.

But if you are really adventurous you might want to try the Antares or Starfighter Scorpion. Those are truly amazing exotic designs. And both are still fortunately available under different names from Sunward Rockets as the Sunward Galactic Wave and Gravity Rider.

Canaroc made some of the most visually appealing model rocket kits ever produced. They were a great company.

Steve

Nice! It's one of the plans I printed off for consideration. Gord is likely going to be busy this summer. :rolleyes:
I built the two Sunward kits, but I've had iffy success with getting them to fly well. Pretty piggish compared to the originals. I clustered the Gravity Rider and made the Galactic Wave 24mm powered. The Boat Anchor recently had a breakdown, probably a mother board. Once I get that taken care of I plan to print off an upscaled set of Antares and Starfighter Scorpion waterslide decals to give the Sunward kits some color. The stickers didn't work so well.

ghrocketman 03-26-2015 12:40 AM

I agree with Gus and like the Eager Beaver too.
I have a pile of parts to clone that one but it's way down in the queue.

Was not aware those Sunward kits were Canaroc clones.
Going to check em out and pikk em up.
Canaroc was a great company that was around far too short of a time.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-26-2015 02:38 AM

Turns out I've been laboring under the assumption that both the Gravity Rider and Galactic Wave were upscales. WRONG-O! The Gravity Rider is an upscale, BT-50 to BT-56, but the Galactic Wave is a DOWNSCALE, BT-60 to BT-56. I don't know what to think at this point. :eek:

Gus 03-26-2015 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Turns out I've been laboring under the assumption that both the Gravity Rider and Galactic Wave were upscales. WRONG-O! The Gravity Rider is an upscale, BT-50 to BT-56, but the Galactic Wave is a DOWNSCALE, BT-60 to BT-56. I don't know what to think at this point. :eek:

Bill,

I didn't realize that the scales were different. Very interesting. I have no experience flying the originals but I recall reading somewhere that they weren't the best fliers.

Steve

ghrocketman 03-26-2015 09:41 AM

I remember reading somewhere that the Galactic Wave was a bear to get flying 'right' as well.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-26-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Bill,

I didn't realize that the scales were different. Very interesting. I have no experience flying the originals but I recall reading somewhere that they weren't the best fliers.

Steve

If you look at Chan Steven's review of the Gravity Rider, there are three pictures of it struggling to get in the air. I took them with my 2002 model digital camera in burst mode. Never had to move. It was unreal how underpowered it was. I'd already set mine up as a cluster at that point. I don't know where to turn on the Galactic Wave.

ghrocketman 03-26-2015 03:38 PM

I'm thinking a 18mm RMS D21 for the Galactic Wave.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-26-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'm thinking a 18mm RMS D21 for the Galactic Wave.

Yeah, that would probably be more easily balanced than the E9 that's in mine. :rolleyes: Between the weight of the engine and that big ol' butt......... :D