Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum Information, Rules, Etc (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "C.ock" isn't vulgar here... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11709)

blackshire 10-08-2012 02:42 AM

"C.ock" isn't vulgar here...

Can the word "c.ock" be removed from YORF's list of "dirty words" that the system automatically expunges? (I deliberately added a period to the word to evade that feature.)

I am, of course, aware of its sexual meaning, but it is also a commonly-used technical term in model rocketry. The words "weatherc.ock," "c.ock" (short for "weatherc.ock"), and "shuttlec.ock" (referring to the Estes "Birdie" kit and its many clones, as well as to "shuttlec.ock stability" of rockets that have conical stabilizers) get used a lot on YORF. To give but a single example:

Just tonight I used the word "shuttlec.ock" to describe the stability of a rotor-equipped re-entry vehicle whose rotor blades would fold up above the capsule to provide aerodynamic stability during re-entry, in the manner of a shuttlec.ock's feathers. Also:

If G. Harry Stine, Vern Estes, and Lee Piester (along with many other rocket kit manufacturers as well as writers in the field of model rocketry) considered those words safe for pre-pubescent children to read in their various publications and printed matter (in a *far* less sexually-permissive culture, let's remember), I see no reason why these words should be forbidden on "Ye Olde Rocket Forum" today.

Rex R 10-08-2012 03:10 AM

I do find it a triffle amusing that the name of this sub-forum is considered vulgar(weather-c.ocked)...there is also that place where the pilots do their job of flying aircraft :). I will second the motion to modify the list of words that shall not be uttered(typed).
rex

Ltvscout 10-08-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
I do find it a triffle amusing that the name of this sub-forum is considered vulgar(weather-c.ocked)...there is also that place where the pilots do their job of flying aircraft :). I will second the motion to modify the list of words that shall not be uttered(typed).
rex

Fixed!

Jerry Irvine 10-08-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Fixed!
You know what's odd about this website and site owner? They listen to common sense and actually take action.

Jerry

ghrocketman 10-08-2012 12:42 PM

Thanks, Scott !

tbzep 10-08-2012 01:01 PM

Testing: South Carolina Gamecocks

jetlag 10-08-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Testing: South Carolina Gamecocks

Beat me to it, Tim!

Sure was fun abusing those Georgia bullpuppies this past weekend ! For the 3rd year in a row!

Allen

tbzep 10-08-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Beat me to it, Tim!

Sure was fun abusing those Georgia bullpuppies this past weekend ! For the 3rd year in a row!

Allen

I was pulling for them just because I'd like to see a different team than Georgia or Florida come out on top of the East, since Tennessee isn't going to do it. I've even mellowed out when it comes to the old ball coach. At one time, I couldn't stand him! :)

It's still a little hard to root for the Gamecocks in general, though. My nephew played baseball for UT in 2000 and 2001 and went to the College World Series. The Cocks were a pretty tough and arrogant team back then in baseball. However, I'll still root for them and any other SEC team when playing out of our conference, no matter what the sport.

(Looks like the test is a success.) :D

A Fish Named Wallyum 10-08-2012 02:24 PM

Windcock! Windcock! Windcock!
:D :D :D

Brain 10-08-2012 03:22 PM

I think it's going a tad overboard to edit any word with the letters c-o-c-k in it.
What about stuff like 'sucker holes'? Where does it stop?