Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Semroc Nighthawk Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4152)

barone 11-17-2008 05:16 PM

Semroc Nighthawk Build

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all.....

Another great kit! (Yeah, I know I didn't need to say that). ;)

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the parts in this kit but they're all listed here.....

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...Parts.asp?ID=35

The only problem is trying to find a set of plans that are legible. I did some writing to clear that up some. Attached are my written instructions (from a couple of scanned instructions) that might aid you in your build. These are just the words so refer to any plans you might have for the drawings.

Just a couple of notes for you.......

Carl has lasered cut alignment lines for cutting out the slots in the body halves and wings. If you use the method of cutting a 'V' notch for the wing panels, make sure the laser cut line is on the underside of the wing when you glue the two wings together........ ;)

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I had a little trouble understanding the canard assembly but I think I've got it figured out now. I'll post some pictures when I get them taken.

NOTE FOR CARL: Thank you, thank you, thank you........I love BGs! :)

SEL 11-17-2008 08:05 PM

I didn't realize the Nighthawk plans were so hard to read. I'll scan mine and get them in to Scott.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Hey all.....

Another great kit! (Yeah, I know I didn't need to say that). ;)

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the parts in this kit but they're all listed here.....

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...Parts.asp?ID=35

The only problem is trying to find a set of plans that are legible. I did some writing to clear that up some. Attached are my written instructions (from a couple of scanned instructions) that might aid you in your build. These are just the words so refer to any plans you might have for the drawings.

Just a couple of notes for you.......

Carl has lasered cut alignment lines for cutting out the slots in the body halves and wings. If you use the method of cutting a 'V' notch for the wing panels, make sure the laser cut line is on the underside of the wing when you glue the two wings together........ ;)

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I had a little trouble understanding the canard assembly but I think I've got it figured out now. I'll post some pictures when I get them taken.

NOTE FOR CARL: Thank you, thank you, thank you........I love BGs! :)

barone 11-17-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I didn't realize the Nighthawk plans were so hard to read. I'll scan mine and get them in to Scott.

Sean

Well, I am geting old... ;)

barone 11-17-2008 08:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics......

The first shows where I am in the build. The glider body is built and the wings have been put together. You can see where I have one wing tip panel formed to position. The other one is being done now.

I mentioned in the first post about the alignment line for the wing tip panels. I've attempted to capture it in the picture but it's kinda hard to see. This is where the 'V' notch goes so you need to make sure it's on the bottom part of the wing when you put the wings together.

barone 11-17-2008 08:19 PM

Pylon Assembly

1 Attachment(s)
The pylon assembly is almost straight forward. Placement of the glider retaining pin isn't very well detailed. There isn't any dimensions so I guess it just matters getting it close. I put the pin into the glider so I could get the proper angle for installing it in the pylon.

chanstevens 11-17-2008 08:25 PM

FWIW, I submitted a review of this to EMRR a couple weeks ago, so should make the next update any day now. I struggled a bit because it's such a different design. In particular, the airfoils struck me as a pain in the [tuckus], especially since not sanded in until after everything's bonded together.

I think draft reviews are now viewable online if you're curious. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll track it down.

I also flew B-BG in a contest last weekend, and when it was obvious winds were never going to dip under 10-12 mph, I ditched my lightweight higher performance models and pulled this one out of the box. It worked out great--boosted fine (after a little fiddling with those adjustable canards), glided fairly well and held its own against the winds. Recovered both flights within 100 yards and 40 seconds or so apiece.

barone 11-17-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
FWIW, I submitted a review of this to EMRR a couple weeks ago, so should make the next update any day now. I struggled a bit because it's such a different design. In particular, the airfoils struck me as a pain in the [tuckus], especially since not sanded in until after everything's bonded together.

I think draft reviews are now viewable online if you're curious. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll track it down.

I also flew B-BG in a contest last weekend, and when it was obvious winds were never going to dip under 10-12 mph, I ditched my lightweight higher performance models and pulled this one out of the box. It worked out great--boosted fine (after a little fiddling with those adjustable canards), glided fairly well and held its own against the winds. Recovered both flights within 100 yards and 40 seconds or so apiece.

Hey Chan....when it gets posted, post the link here.

I too noticed that they have you doing the airfoiling after assembling. Seemed to me that it would make it harder so I was going to do mine after getting the wings built and prior to attaching to the boom.

Ltvscout 11-17-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL

Thank you, kind sir.

chanstevens 11-19-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Hey Chan....when it gets posted, post the link here.

I too noticed that they have you doing the airfoiling after assembling. Seemed to me that it would make it harder so I was going to do mine after getting the wings built and prior to attaching to the boom.

Just went up today

barone 11-20-2008 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the link Chan.......

Here's my completed glider. Taking Chan's advice, I sanded the airfoils before attaching to the boom. Actually, it would have been easier to do it before assembling the wing.

Sanding went alright. Plans call for using a coarse grit to rough in the shape and then using finer grades to finish. I roughed in using 100 grit (yeah, it did quick work :) ) and then finished with 320, 400, 800 and 2000. I didn't have any 600 or 1000 in the stack of sandpaper.

I turned the wings upside down and propped up the centerline to attach the boom. I attached the boom centered on the wing joint and perpendicular to the surface the wings were set on.

Now to get onto the boost pod. The tube seam is wider than what is normally obtained from Semroc so it's going to take a little more work than the normal spray of Kilz. Now, where is that fill n finish...... :rolleyes: