Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   RSR Little joe II build. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15205)

jeffyjeep 07-03-2015 01:32 PM

RSR Little joe II build.

4 Attachment(s)
I squealed like a little girl when the letter carrier delivered my Real Rpace Rockets LJII kit today!

It looks like it's going to be fun!

TBC

chrism 07-03-2015 04:04 PM

Wow! That escape tower looks delicate!

jeffyjeep 07-03-2015 11:47 PM

It's definitely an Apogee capsule and LES. I don't know if I'm going to put the included clear plastic reinforcement panels on it though.

TBC

Brent 07-04-2015 05:54 AM

I was going to say that it looked like an Apogee capsule.

jeffyjeep 07-14-2015 12:23 AM

It begins.

5 Attachment(s)
"The Vixen" is visiting my BIL in Philly this week and I'm on vacation this week---home alone! :D I'll see if I can put a dent in the RSR LJII build.

I sliced it open and checked out the parts. Everything looks OK so far. The plywood CR's are very nice. While assembling the engine mount I added a Mylar ring as an EH retainer instead of using masking tape. I NEVER use masking tape for something that will never be accessible again (except under unwanted circumstances.) I also replaced the short, 1/8" shock cord with a 48" 1/4" wide cord.

I then mounted the engine mount into the BT 70 with epoxy. TBC

jeffyjeep 07-14-2015 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 3D printed fins are goingto take a LOT of sanding to make them correct, and I'll start on those tomorrow.

Time for a Scotch and an IPA. Good night. TBC

ghrocketman 07-14-2015 11:02 AM

From the look of the fin in that photo, unless the model will be used for Scale Competition, they look PLENTY good to me.

Not NEARLY enough people say "Good Enough, Ity'll Doo" anymore, but it is a hobby and to each their own.

jeffyjeep 07-14-2015 11:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
From the look of the fin in that photo, unless the model will be used for Scale Competition, they look PLENTY good to me.

Not NEARLY enough people say "Good Enough, Ity'll Doo" anymore, but it is a hobby and to each their own.

If the fins are too rough when I paint them silver the finish might end up looking too gray. I'm not going to finish it into a museum grade model, but its a little rougher than I like. Also, the root edge is flat so I'll contour sand the root edge to register it to the BT70. for attachment.

A hobby? A HOBBY?! Remember: there's a fine line between a hobby and mental illness. ;)

Here's some macros of the fin. I think it needs at LEAST a little bit of touching up (plus, the fin in the photos is the smoothest one of the four.) TBC

LeeR 07-14-2015 03:21 PM

Those fins look pretty decent, considering 3-D is still a relatively new technology. And they look smoother than parts from the 3-D printers we were using a couple years ago at a small prototyping shop.

I'm hoping someday we will see budget printers (priced to be affordable to hobbyists) popping out parts that look like they were injection molded.

jeffyjeep 07-14-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Those fins look pretty decent, considering 3-D is still a relatively new technology. And they look smoother than parts from the 3-D printers we were using a couple years ago at a small prototyping shop.

I'm hoping someday we will see budget printers (priced to be affordable to hobbyists) popping out parts that look like they were injection molded.

THAT would be wonderful!