Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Estes launch pad redesign/upgrade (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=8270)

InFlight 12-21-2010 09:00 AM

Estes launch pad redesign/upgrade

@John Boren

Hi John, how about your R&D guys develop a FOLDING launch pad for us who hate taking our E-Pads apart and having the dog steal one of the legs (still can't find it). Or bring the wooden ones back.

I love my E-Pad, just wish it could fold up. Launch equipment is important too! :D

Ltvscout 12-21-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlight
@John Boren

Hi John, how about your R&D guys develop a FOLDING launch pad for us who hate taking our E-Pads apart and having the dog steal one of the legs (still can't find it). Or bring the wooden ones back.

+1 for the old Centuri style wooden pad.

tbzep 12-21-2010 09:23 AM

Hmmm. Which would you folks like to see produced? Maybe this should be a poll.

.............Estes......................Centuri...

jeffyjeep 12-21-2010 09:29 AM

The Estes wooden pad is the one I graduated to (from a 1/8" piece of music wire and coffee can lid stuck into a square of plywood), so I prefer the Estes.

JumpJet 12-21-2010 09:31 AM

I personally love the old wood style launch pad. I buidt a big one for my personal use many years ago. I also attached a Drill Chuck to it so I can easily change between differmt rod sizes. I never use it now since all of my personal flying is done at the club field.

Heck 20 years ago I even built a HUGE wooden version for High Power models but it only lasted one flight before needing to be fix. I used shaped 2x6 construction lumber for the legs and half inch bolts for the pivots. When the K or L motor lite the force split the leg starting at the bolt hole. Only way to fix it was to add metal plates to the sides of each leg where the bolt went through.

So even though I love the wood launcher I don't think it would be practical in todays mass market but I do like the idea of a folded version.

John Boren

Doug Sams 12-21-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlight
I suspect, if there were a market for these, someone would be making/selling them. I agree wholeheartedly that the wooden pads are preferred. They're self weighting - you don't need to pile rocks on the legs to keep them stable :)

But I can't see them ever being cost compatible with 20 dollar starter sets. And if the local hobby stores are selling standalone pads for 20 bucks (same as the ones in the starter sets), how much are they gonna want for a wooden one?

I'd say, and you probably already know this, Ray, that the best solution is to roll your own.

But if you do, make the legs much longer, between 24 and 32 inches. That way, you don't have to bend over or get down on your knees. My buddy calls mine an "old man's pad". I can deal with that :) The only person who calls me young man anymore is my mom :)

Here's mine. The one thing I wish I could integrate is rod stowage. I keep mine in a 4+ foot long piece of threaded PVC pipe. If I could strap that to one of the legs, or replace one of the legs with that, it would make it that much friendlier.

Doug

InFlight 12-21-2010 09:54 AM

Doug, an injected molded version similar to what you have made would be cool. If production cost is an issue then a plastic folding E-pad would work for me.

You know, I seen a wooden shelving set at Target that had twice as much wood and more detail than a launch pad, it was selling for $8 dollars. :chuckle:

Shreadvector 12-21-2010 09:55 AM

The current Estes pad (lightning bolt legs) is the strongest and longest lasting version they have made. The previsou generation had thinner legs that could snap and the leg attach was inferior and broke off.

The current pad does not break. And the deflector is large and has been DFMA'd (2 parts compared to 5 parts on the screw together version and those screws would rust). Rod is better than aluminum rod from the past as well.

If we need another product, let it be an E sized pad inside a launch set so we can get it cheaper.

InFlight 12-21-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
The current Estes pad (lightning bolt legs) is the strongest and longest lasting version they have made. The previsou generation had thinner legs that could snap and the leg attach was inferior and broke off.

The current pad does not break. And the deflector is large and has been DFMA'd (2 parts compared to 5 parts on the screw together version and those screws would rust). Rod is better than aluminum rod from the past as well.

If we need another product, let it be an E sized pad inside a launch set so we can get it cheaper.

I actually agree with you on this, good call! :chuckle:

InFlight 12-21-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Hmmm. Which would you folks like to see produced? Maybe this should be a poll.

.............Estes......................Centuri...

Can I have one in an E size? :D