Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ODD RODS a bit of nastalgia (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14717)

Closet Astronaut 01-24-2015 05:24 PM

ODD RODS a bit of nastalgia

5 Attachment(s)
I was sitting at the table today...with my red head... and she was bringing out her collection of hot wheels and said "I will giver you a quiz" she wanted me to identify the cars with out looking at the bottom, well hey, I'm up for that challenge. While I was naming the cars I flashed back to my child hood, remembering when I was about eight and nine my step mothers brother (a year younger) and me would take off for the two mile hike down to the Speedy's convenient store loaded with our two dollar a week allowance, where I would get my bag of Taco flavored Doritos, 32 oz bottle of Coke and of course a couple of packs of Odd Rods bubble gum card, stickers. I can still remember smelling the pack when opened, the smell of the bubble gum mixed with the aroma of the plastic card and adhesive backing mmmm...mmm.

How many old timers out there remember these? Boy..time were sure simpler then.

dlazarus6660 01-24-2015 06:06 PM

I kinda-sorda remember those. I really wasn't into cars. What were the goofy product ones called? :confused:

ghrocketman 01-24-2015 06:27 PM

The goofy 'product' ones were Wacky Packages by Topps.
They are still made every few years and I still collect them.
See my 'Beanball' Icon/Logo by my name.
That is my FAVORITE Wacky Package of all time; I think that one first appeared in like 1973.

jeffyjeep 01-24-2015 07:00 PM

Wow! Those do indeed bring back memories!

I definitely remember Odd Rods, Silly Cycles, and Wacky Packages (Wacky Packages were my favorite.)

Besides GH's avatar, I remember the Wacky Packages stickers of Vomit (Comet), Crust (Crest), and Boo Hoo (Yoo Hoo.)

IIRC Wacky Packages were replaced by Garbage Pail Kids.

ghrocketman 01-24-2015 07:19 PM

Wacky Packages were never replaced by anything and are still produced.
Garbage Pail Kids were produced concurrently for a few years, but I don't think Topps was their producer.

Three of my other favorite Wacky Packages are BRUTE 88 by Jungle' (parody on Brut 33 by Faberge') deodorant for Apes, Kongsford Charcoal for gorillas (parody on KingsFord), and Gutterade Fetid Sewer Water (parody on Gatorade).

Note the following features on the "Beanball" Wacky Package (parody on Topps own baseball cards)
1) Brand logo reads sTupid, in the 'Topps' font
2) Team name of the Gorilla character is the "Apes"
3) Thrown ball bores a hole clean through the bat, knocking the players helmet CLEAN OFF HIS HEAD leaving a gigantic 'knot'/'bump' on his head.
4) Crazed look on Gorilla player's face after getting beaned
5) Note at bottom of sticker that reads "Cardboard Bubble Gum, All Cards The SAME" which parodies the lousy hard stale stick of gum and number of 'repeats' found in packs of Basebawl Cards.

I once saw a MLB Playoff game in the last 15 years where the batter got beaned in an almost exact manner; the ball hit him squarely in the head, knocking his helmet CLEAN OFF, knocking the player THE FRACK OUT with his eyes rolling back before he even hit the ground.
It was obvious on replays it was not intentional by the pitcher; he slipped on the mound.
Don't remember the teams unfortunately or the players involved.
The batter was okay a few innings later.

Call my sense of humor 'sick' or 'warped' but I distinctly remember laughing uncontrollably for almost fifteen minutes after this and thinking about the relevance of this to the Wacky Package.

As an added side note to Jeffyjeep, in all my many years as an Electrical Engineer, I have NEVER ONCE had to use ANY of the Calculus I was forced to take courses in during College.
In my opinion it was a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME and would never be used unless specializing in R&D.
The collegiate curriculum needs to be drastically revised to where the ONLY courses that should be required should directly apply to the chosen major/career field, especially with the astronomical cost per credit hour.
One should be able to get a Bachelor's degree with HALF the credit hours required.
I took MANY courses that were a required waste of time for both BS in Engineering and Business Administration. The days of the 'luxury' of 'well-rounding' collegiate education are LONG over.

kurtschachner 01-24-2015 07:45 PM

Reminds me of Plop! magazine, I got a letter to the editor published in that one when I was about 10.

Plop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That is my FAVORITE Wacky Package of all time; I think that one first appeared in like 1973.

Joe Wooten 01-24-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

As an added side note to Jeffyjeep, in all my many years as an Electrical Engineer, I have NEVER ONCE had to use ANY of the Calculus I was forced to take courses in during College.
In my opinion it was a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME and would never be used unless specializing in R&D.
The collegiate curriculum needs to be drastically revised to where the ONLY courses that should be required should directly apply to the chosen major/career field, especially with the astronomical cost per credit hour.
One should be able to get a Bachelor's degree with HALF the credit hours required.
I took MANY courses that were a required waste of time for both BS in Engineering and Business Administration. The days of the 'luxury' of 'well-rounding' collegiate education are LONG over.

I'd agree with a lot of that, especially the useless liberal arts courses. Technical writing is a must though. Calculus, though most engineers will not use it very much, is still a must for a true understanding and grounding in physics. In 35 years as a mechanical engineer, I can count on one hand the times I've used calculus in a work related calculation. Hell, most of my work is in thermal hydraulic analysis and heat transfer. The basic equations in fluid mechanics and thermo are calculus based, but the empirical relationships developed for quick engineering work are much quicker. Heat transfer is even worse as the basic equations are partial differentials, but again, the empirical experimentally derived equations are faster, and in many cases, more accurate.

Closet Astronaut 01-24-2015 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

OH WOW! Wacky Packages, I totally forgot about those, I never paid attention to your avatar, too small and blurry. Man I've been sitting here laughing my a88 off looking at these, of course my wife has never seen them before being German, she's laughing too.

ghrocketman 01-24-2015 08:46 PM

There was a later version of the parody on Eveready instead of Neverready it became EverDeady.
I think I have both somewhere.

Hawaiian Punks is hilarious too.

ALPOO is another good one that is an Alpo parody.

Oscar MORON Bacon is good also.

I seem to recall either Mangler and/or Strangler Jeans as a parody on Wrangler Jeans as well.

dlazarus6660 01-25-2015 08:49 AM

OMG

ghrocketman can hold a conversation without including fecal matter in the subject! :eek:

KUTGW