Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Saturn 1B 1/100 centering ring card scan? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16822)

aeppel_cpm 09-10-2017 07:50 AM

Saturn 1B 1/100 centering ring card scan?
 
Good morning modelers,

I'm looking for a scan of the centering ring card for either the Estes or Centuri 1/100 Saturn 1B. Neither the YORP or Jimz seem to have that part scanned.

My EBay found Estes 2048 was missing some rings. I've worked my way around most of them, but thought I'd ask for help on the display motor mount card. It's trickier to recreate.

Charles

the mole 09-10-2017 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Good morning modelers,

I'm looking for a scan of the centering ring card for either the Estes or Centuri 1/100 Saturn 1B. Neither the YORP or Jimz seem to have that part scanned.


I don't know if this will help you out or not but I make two of these Saturn Star Tank Rings in place of the centering rings you're talking about I think. After you make them you may have to do a little sanding to make everything fit but it works nice.

aeppel_cpm 09-11-2017 08:37 AM

Do you use those instead of the central Jupiter missile tube?

I'm actually looking for the disk that the 8 nozzles mount to. This looks like a nice reference item, though. Thanks.

I've had a generous offer of a spare card - I'll post a scan.

Charles

Doug Sams 09-11-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Do you use those instead of the central Jupiter missile tube?

I'm actually looking for the disk that the 8 nozzles mount to. This looks like a nice reference item, though. Thanks.

I've had a generous offer of a spare card - I'll post a scan.

Charles
In case that doesn't work, let me know. I have a 1/100 kit that I can scan if necessary.

Doug

.

scott_mills 09-11-2017 10:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here are the scans also, I recommend using foam core for the centering rings, it works great.

aeppel_cpm 09-26-2017 08:10 AM

Thanks so much, Scott. (!!)

I flew my S1B this past weekend. I made a mistake with the shock cord mounting, resulting in a melted cord and a booster return to earth tail first - like SpaceX, but without the landing burn.

I'd post a picture, but I mostly do rocketry work off my phone, and it's become increasingly difficult to post to YORF. No more photobucket for hosting. Native camera files are too big. Favorite resizing app no longer supported. <sigh>

LeeR 10-01-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Thanks so much, Scott. (!!)

I flew my S1B this past weekend. I made a mistake with the shock cord mounting, resulting in a melted cord and a booster return to earth tail first - like SpaceX, but without the landing burn.

I'd post a picture, but I mostly do rocketry work off my phone, and it's become increasingly difficult to post to YORF. No more photobucket for hosting. Native camera files are too big. Favorite resizing app no longer supported. <sigh>


Charles,

Hope the damage is not too bad, and repairs are possible. I mostly use my iPhone or iPad to post, and the gyrations to post a picture are irritating.

Iím mostly visiting the FB rocketry groups now for this reason. I still come back to YORF to see whatís up, but the decline in posts here is dramatic.

aeppel_cpm 10-01-2017 07:32 PM

Thank Lee.

The Saturn 1B is all repaired. I lost more decals than anything else. Just having a hard time getting the little ones to stick on the flat paint. I should do a little touch up painting, but all is well again.

Now, what's next... a 1/100 space shuttle? Or a 1/35 S1B?

Charles

the mole 10-01-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Thank Lee.

The Saturn 1B is all repaired. I lost more decals than anything else. Just having a hard time getting the little ones to stick on the flat paint.


You might want to try using these next time you build an S1B.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...00+Saturn+wraps

LeeR 10-01-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Thank Lee.

The Saturn 1B is all repaired. I lost more decals than anything else. Just having a hard time getting the little ones to stick on the flat paint. I should do a little touch up painting, but all is well again.

Now, what's next... a 1/100 space shuttle? Or a 1/35 S1B?

Charles


Charles,

It may be too late, but note this for future decal use on flat paint. I use Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic Clear Gloss over flat paint, apply decals, then use their Matte clear to return the finish to flat. Really works well to hide the edges of a decal.

A number of my favorite paints are flats, so I do this a lot. I've used this technique on lots of different paints, both enamels and lacquers. Just make sure you use several really light coats. The UV-Resistant formulations can be found in the Art Dept. Of Hobby Lobby, it's not stocked with the spray paints, at least in Colorado stores. Michaels may have it also.

I've got an Estes Saturn 1B built, but no paint yet. I think I've waited too long, it's been rainy and cool and not sure it's going to get much warmer for awhile. I've got both a Semroc 1B and the Apogee 1B -- may do the Semroc one over the winter.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.