Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Vern's original Big Bertha (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5751)

GregGleason 08-17-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc

John Dyer - Red River Rocketry
Gordon Agnello - Roachwerks & Excelsior
Bill Spadafora - CMASS & S&T

Thanks, Carl.

So I assume that John is the one wearing the hat with the logo of that fine institution of Higher Learning based in College Station, TX (Whoop! Gig' Em Aggies)?

Greg

GregGleason 08-17-2009 09:42 AM

Speaking of hats ... it looks like Vern is wearing a Semroc hat? Do we have one of Carl wearing an Estes hat! :D

Greg

sandman 08-17-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Cool. Carl, thanks for sharing this. Wouldn't it be great if a decal set was available so we could decorate our Bertha's like this? (Hint to those with an Alps...).

Actually Vern asked me if I could do a decal set for it.

That is NOT going to be easy!

How do I do all those signatures???

billspad 08-17-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
I imagine that 'Bill' is Bill Stine.
John? No idea, but I'm sure I'll do a 'Doh' when we find out............

Allen

I'm better looking than he is.

BEC 08-17-2009 10:57 AM

Carl,

I've tried to watch that video both from home (Mac) and work (Win XP)....and gotten the same result both times - it freezes/fails to download somewhere around 20%. Perhaps you can repost at some point? At least on my Mac I could see the first 20% before the download froze.

Neat stuff, this.

Royatl 08-17-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte

P.S. I can't play your video. I can only guess you did it on a Vista system.

That's probably not it. I can't play it on either Vista or Win7. Media Player seems to now come with vastly fewer codecs, and no automatic way of getting the codecs it needs.

Leo 08-17-2009 11:32 AM

Video fails to complete the download using "Save as..." with me aswell.

jetlag 08-17-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
I'm better looking than he is.

LOL!!!
Most excellent!
Allen

Carl@Semroc 08-17-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Speaking of hats ... it looks like Vern is wearing a Semroc hat? Do we have one of Carl wearing an Estes hat! :D

Greg
Back in the 60's we placed the odds of Vern wearing a Semroc hat at 0.0000%. Me wearing an Estes-Cox hat is probably in the same ballpark. But I DO sleep sometimes and there is Photoshop. :chuckle:

Vern and Gleda are good friends and have been very supportive of us. We sure look forward to being able to spend time with them.

von Braun 08-18-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
One of the highlights of NARAM-51 for me was the launch of Vern's original Big Bertha. I had seen it many times over the years, but did not realize that it was the original. The nose cone is a REAL BNC-60L, probably one of the first off the Ranger grinding wheel. It has a more complex shape than the later more elliptical cones with the same designation. It will probably be released as BNC-60LV.

Prepping the Big Bertha was more than I had bargained for. I had an A8-3, but Vern insisted on a B6-4. The field was smaller than I liked for that piece of history to get lost. As usual, Vern knew better. It landed less than 50 feet away.

Original Big Bertha
Vern and Gleda Checking in Bertha with John, Gordy, and Bill
Original Big Bertha Flight at NARAM-51

I've been test-flying my recently-built Big Bertha with A8-3s,and it's almost too heavy for that engine. The other day,it hit the ground before the ejection charge ignited. No damage,fortunately,except the parachute got scorched a little. I wish they still made the A5-2.