Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Newbomb's New Builds (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14260)

Newbomb Turk 02-17-2019 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You meet the nicest people in model rocketry.

I was surprised with a Christmas gift from a fellow club member who has become a very good buddy. Because of my affinity for staging, he gave me the new release two-stage Sterling Silver, which I'd already had my eye on. Plus packs of booster and sustainer B engines. I was blown away.

Thank you, Dr. Houchin. Can't wait for you to see it fly.

LeeR 02-17-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
You meet the nicest people in model rocketry.

I was surprised with a Christmas gift from a fellow club member who has become a very good buddy. Because of my affinity for staging, he gave me the new release two-stage Sterling Silver, which I'd already had my eye on. Plus packs of booster and sustainer B engines. I was blown away.

Thank you, Dr. Houchin. Can't wait for you to see it fly.

I met Roy in Alamogordo at NSL-2017. A friend and I were sitting in hotel lobby waiting for a group to gather for dinner. Roy was there, and we struck up a conversation. We talked for over an hour, and when the dinner group never really materialized, the three of us dined together. Roy has family in Colorado, and on annual trips here, he and his wife have gotten together with us twice for dinner since getting to know him.

Hard to find a nicer guy, in the hobby, or anywhere.

I feel fortunate! :)

By the way, nice looking rocket. I’m a big fan of red/white/black color scheme on rockets.

Newbomb Turk 04-05-2019 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Hard to find a nicer guy, in the hobby, or anywhere.

I feel fortunate! :)

I agree. I feel the same way about everyone here.

Now, for my next suppression, I've decided to build #3219, the Estes Air Commander.

Here's yet another hat tip to Jeffy.

Newbomb Turk 04-05-2019 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's a wonderful picture I took yesterday in a parking lot. Anyone know what it is?

Bob Austin 04-05-2019 12:29 PM

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

More at https://genius.com/Monty-python-hol...tioch-annotated

Newbomb Turk 04-05-2019 12:45 PM

I couldn't believe it when I saw it! Laughed immediately. Wonder how many people recognize it.

Seven minutes for this forum, which seems about right.

I included a clue by naming the picture file HHoA.

Newbomb Turk 04-08-2019 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Air Commander built, wood filled and sanded.

Constructed stock, except with a longer braided elastic shock cord annnnnd...
for the sustainer, lengthening the engine mount to accept E12s. Just in case I ever develop the testicular fortitude to fly it D12-E12.

One hiccup. The face card shows the stage fins flown offset, as opposed to the Avenger, Beta, etc. Following the instructions and the paper wrap fin guide, I placed the launch lugs perfectly between two fins, thereby blocking the launch rod with the perfectly offset booster fins. I'd like to fly it offset. Is there any downside to offsetting them slightly less than perfectly? Just enough to allow for the rod? Thanks.

mwtoelle 04-08-2019 10:03 PM

I would just rotate the booster just enough to clear the launch rod. If I was building an Air Commander, the launch lugs would be in a fin-body joint to minimize the drag of the launch lugs. Just my preference in building the smaller stuff.

LeeR 04-09-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk

[…]

One hiccup. The face card shows the stage fins flown offset, as opposed to the Avenger, Beta, etc. Following the instructions and the paper wrap fin guide, I placed the launch lugs perfectly between two fins, thereby blocking the launch rod with the perfectly offset booster fins. I'd like to fly it offset. Is there any downside to offsetting them slightly less than perfectly? Just enough to allow for the rod? Thanks.

Newbomb,

I’ve flown stagers with fins not quite perfectly offset between booster and sustainer, to clear a launch lug. No problems.

By the way, you have perhaps the most attractive rocket bench / rocket room I think I’ve ever seen! ;)

ghrocketman 04-09-2019 01:59 AM

An E12-0 booster exists too.
How 'bout an E12-0 to E12-8 flight ?
Now thaty'll doo !