Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nike Hercules Build Progress (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1852)

zeke1312 06-11-2007 10:52 AM

Nike Hercules Build Progress

9 Attachment(s)
Attached are photos of the Nike Herc I'm building. Much to go but I've got the booster group close! :) The 1st photo shows the different length of the booster and motor tubes. The subsequent photos show the motor tubes from different angles and finally the fitting of the booster cluster. Oh, I should have mentioned this is a Sandman Nike Herc kit! Sandman has been very helpful, explaining some kit build techinqes.

sandman 06-11-2007 05:34 PM

This is GREAT! Zeke!

Now, Zeke, you got the only kit with the short motor tubes. (Sorry!) At least so far it looks like yours is the only one.

This isn't exactly an error...it was a design change. :o

The original design called for the funky looking tube alignment tool (that's what we are going to call that thing now! :) ) to be glued onto the base of the transition but I've since dropped that idea as unnecessary

It has to to with the motor tubes extending a bit bast the 4 main booster body tubes so that there is more of a glue surface for the booster tubes to glue into the transition.

It looks like you got it!

I was concerned about the sometimes "overzealous" ejection charges that Estes has in a few D12 motor. :rolleyes:

I didn't want to see the transition suddenly seperating from the boosters.

zeke1312 06-12-2007 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The booster cluster with its 4 motor tubes is assembled. The transition is mated to the booster but additional work to be done on the transition itself. So far the transition is the most "labor intense" with a lot of sanding the get the boosters to mate with the transition. I think I need more stock removed where the transition joins the rocket itself.

sandman 06-12-2007 11:17 PM

That looks good so far.

You really didn't think you could shake the box and a Nike Hercules would fall out. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-12-2007 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
You really didn't think you could shake the box and a Nike Hercules would fall out. :D

Without a parachute..... :rolleyes: :D ;)

sandman 06-13-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Without a parachute..... :rolleyes: :D ;)

OUCH! That hurt! :mad:

zeke1312 06-17-2007 11:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished sanding the transition and one fin. Fins will take a while (at least for me)! :)

zeke1312 06-25-2007 06:23 PM

I've gotten the four booster fins completed. I did cover each fin with ca then used Elmer's white glue to adhere the card stock to each fin. The fins are rock hard. Now to paint the booster cluster and attach fins. The Herc is beginning to take shape! Once again, Sandman has done an excellent job designing/fabricating the fin parts. I think I'll use my Dremel to drill small "rivet" holes in both the booster body and fin root. When I've gone that far, I'll post pictures. Maybe I should not be posting the "step by step" build of the Nike Hercules here. Let me know if that's the case and I'll back off, only posting pictures of the end result. I'm sure most here have built many rockets and this is "ho hum". For me this is my 2nd rocket build since the mid 70s and I'm enjoying it. Anyhow, back to my Herc.................. :)

Ltvscout 06-25-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke1312
I've gotten the four booster fins completed. I did cover each fin with ca then used Elmer's white glue to adhere the card stock to each fin. The fins are rock hard. Now to paint the booster cluster and attach fins. The Herc is beginning to take shape! Once again, Sandman has done an excellent job designing/fabricating the fin parts. I think I'll use my Dremel to drill small "rivet" holes in both the booster body and fin root. When I've gone that far, I'll post pictures. Maybe I should not be posting the "step by step" build of the Nike Hercules here.

Zeke,

This definitely IS the place for you to post your build steps. Keep the posts coming!

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-25-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
OUCH! That hurt! :mad:

Nah, it just bounced and cracked a fin. :D