Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   D/E powered Big Bertha.. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=8244)

Bill Gibson 12-19-2010 06:22 AM

D/E powered Big Bertha..

Im sure somebody here has done this...i was thinkin about buildin one.....is it SAFLEY doable?? Thanks! Bill

CPMcGraw 12-19-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson
Im sure somebody here has done this...i was thinkin about buildin one.....is it SAFLEY doable?? Thanks! Bill

It should be OK, since a Big Bertha is just a simplified Ranger. Three 18mm engines weigh more than a single 24mm "D" engine, so the static margin should be something in-between the margins of those two models. You might be tight on the "E" engine with the margins, though.

tbzep 12-19-2010 08:46 AM

I've chad staged D12-0's out the back end of the Bertha with 100% success. I haven't checked the CG in that configuration, so I've always just quickly slapped in a quick link to the nose cone to add a bit of nose weight. If it works with a D12 hanging out the back, it will do fine with a 24mm in normal configuration. :cool: Just check your CG so you know how much nose weight to add, if any. I doubt it will be needed with a D12, but it might with an E9.

Jerry Irvine 12-19-2010 09:09 AM

They fly great on Aerotech F10-4 and U.S. Rockets G008-4. Both 29mm.

To answer the original question, definitely yes.

Jerry

Doug Sams 12-19-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I doubt [nose weight ] will be needed with a D12, but it might with an E9.
I think it's OK with an E9, too. I've flown my Better Bertha on one.

If I had the opportunity (ie, if I worked at Estes :)), one thing I'd push for, to leverage the Bertha brand, is a Hot Bertha, with a 24mm mount. It's perfect for Estes D's and E's. Maybe add some nose art ala Don Magness' (Squirrel Works) Betty Page rocket. (Sorry, can't find the pic, but it was a small HPR bird, as I recall.)

Anyway, we've seen a variety of Berthas over the years, why not a hot rod one?

Heck, why not offer a three motor cluster Bertha? Again, put some nose art on it, this time a hot babe with a forest ranger's hat on. Call it Ranger Bertha.

Not all such ideas merit productization, but surely some sort of limited edition, hot rodded Bertha would be successful.

Doug

sandman 12-19-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I think it's OK with an E9, too. I've flown my Better Bertha on one.

If I had the opportunity (ie, if I worked at Estes :)), one thing I'd push for, to leverage the Bertha brand, is a Hot Bertha, with a 24mm mount. It's perfect for Estes D's and E's. Maybe add some nose art ala Don Magness' (Squirrel Works) Betty Page rocket. (Sorry, can't find the pic, but it was a small HPR bird, as I recall.)

Anyway, we've seen a variety of Berthas over the years, why not a hot rod one?

Heck, why not offer a three motor cluster Bertha? Again, put some nose art on it, this time a hot babe with a forest ranger's hat on. Call it Ranger Bertha.

Not all such ideas merit productization, but surely some sort of limited edition, hot rodded Bertha would be successful.

Doug

AND! a different decal scheme. Maybe even one of the old ones.

The latest version of stickers is just ugly.

As for nose art, just type "Nose Art" in your search.

Most are "R" rated at best.

BoosterDude 12-19-2010 12:41 PM

The stock Bertha flies great on D12-5's, perfectly stable. I have one I fly often, it gets up there with the D motors.

Jerry Irvine 12-19-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
As for nose art, just type "Nose Art" in your search.
Most are "R" rated at best.

Here's how I dealt with that.

Jerry

sandman 12-19-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Here's how I dealt with that.

Jerry

Jerry, for the market they are after I really don't think Estes would go with something like that. :rolleyes:

STRMan 12-19-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Jerry, for the market they are after I really don't think Estes would go with something like that. :rolleyes:

Didn't they try that approach with the Double D?