Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Gemini Titan faux nozzles. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16144)

jeffyjeep 08-02-2016 02:19 PM

Gemini Titan faux nozzles.

3 Attachment(s)
My BT60 based Gemini Titan scratch build is almost ready for decals. The reentry vehicle's black paint is still degassing and will then receive it's UNITED STATES and flag decals and it's red stripe that I'll slit from adhesive film.

As for the engines, the engine assembly will be totally non-functioning and for display only. I have a bayonet mount for the clear fin unit (scrounged from Beta Launch Vehicle kit) glued into the rear of the BT60, so whatever I come up with for the display engines will rotate-mount into that.

I'm kicking around some ideas (most of them pretty crappy) to do the faux engines. I don't think I'll buy the Shapeways 3D printed bells unless I absolutely have to--besides, I believe Shapeways has them for BT70 and BT80 only.

TBC

sandman 08-02-2016 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff, I got this with a pile of rocket stuff (nose cones and stuff) off Ebay a long time ago.

Is this it? I think it may be.

If it"s what you need or can use you can have it...I know your address :rolleyes:

sandman 08-02-2016 05:26 PM

I just checked on JimZ's and I do believe it is the display nozzles of the #1978 Gemini Titan!

It sure looks like it. I don't have the adaptor but that looks easy enough to make out of a centering ring.

It's a two piece part and the glue is old and dried out so it comes apart in two halves. You will need to glue it but the nozzles are already painted flat black. :)

I'll sent it out to you in the morning.

jeffyjeep 08-02-2016 06:13 PM

Yes, that's it! It's also the same assembly that was included with the Titan III kit.

Please send it and I'll remit the postage to you.

Thanks a ton!

sandman 08-02-2016 06:17 PM

OK, I'll ship in the AM.

frognbuff 08-02-2016 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
My BT60 based Gemini Titan scratch build is almost ready for decals. The reentry vehicle's black paint is still degassing and will then receive it's UNITED STATES and flag decals and it's red stripe that I'll slit from adhesive film.

As for the engines, the engine assembly will be totally non-functioning and for display only. I have a bayonet mount for the clear fin unit (scrounged from Beta Launch Vehicle kit) glued into the rear of the BT60, so whatever I come up with for the display engines will rotate-mount into that.

I'm kicking around some ideas (most of them pretty crappy) to do the faux engines. I don't think I'll buy the Shapeways 3D printed bells unless I absolutely have to--besides, I believe Shapeways has them for BT70 and BT80 only.

TBC

I want to see more of that SA-2 "Guideline" missile in the back!!

jeffyjeep 08-02-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
I want to see more of that SA-2 "Guideline" missile in the back!!

Jeez! You guys don't miss a thing.

The SA-2 Guideline is getting it's 3rd coat of sealer tonight. "The Vixen" and I have a special camo job planned for it.

Brent 08-03-2016 12:04 PM

It would be nice if someone source the fake nozzles for the BT 60 Titan on Shapeways. They have both the Titan warhead and the Gemini capsule on there.

jeffyjeep 08-03-2016 12:41 PM

I'll ask them if they'll replicate it if I loan it to them--for the price of a gratis part and return of the original.

jeffyjeep 08-06-2016 07:00 PM

Gordy,

I got the nozzles today! Thank you!

As always, you're a prince!