Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bummed! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9376)

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-03-2011 06:56 PM

Bummed!

Just went by B6-4 Field and noticed that my Argus II is no longer hanging around. :mad: I stopped this morning and checked on it, and everything looked fine then. I did see a kid chucking rocks at it one night this week. I beeped and startled him. He was pretty young and was tossing the rocks toward the parking area. Nothing good can come of that.

jeffyjeep 06-03-2011 08:32 PM

If he has it, he has to fly it somewhere.

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-03-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
If he has it, he has to fly it somewhere.

In that case, I'd be thrilled. :cool: He'd be more than welcome to keep it.

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-05-2011 09:51 PM

Tonight I had a box full of first timers and a couple of bigger birds that I hoped to attach my keychain camera to. Almost 8:00pm and there was still a ball team on the field. It was starting to get slightly overcast, but I still think there would have been enough light to get some flights in. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and hot, so I'm hoping to get up there when I wake up. Games usually don't start until around 5 or 6.

blackshire 06-05-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Tonight I had a box full of first timers and a couple of bigger birds that I hoped to attach my keychain camera to. Almost 8:00pm and there was still a ball team on the field. It was starting to get slightly overcast, but I still think there would have been enough light to get some flights in. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and hot, so I'm hoping to get up there when I wake up. Games usually don't start until around 5 or 6.
There's an easy way to reserve B6-4 Field for your use at will. Just walk around the edges of the field while holding a piece of cabbage in one hand, turn your head left and right with a concerned expression on your face, and ask people: "Has anyone seen my pet skunk?"

jeffyjeep 06-05-2011 10:53 PM

What's the cabbage for?

blackshire 06-05-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:
What's the cabbage for?
A fellow I knew in Georgia who had a pet skunk gave her cabbage as a treat.

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-05-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
There's an easy way to reserve B6-4 Field for your use at will. Just walk around the edges of the field while holding a piece of cabbage in one hand, turn your head left and right with a concerned expression on your face, and ask people: "Has anyone seen my pet skunk?"

:eek: :D

jeffyjeep 06-05-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
A fellow I knew in Georgia who had a pet skunk gave her cabbage as a treat.

Really? I thought skunks (and all other mustelidae) were strictly carnivorous.

I've learned something new.

blackshire 06-05-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:
Really? I thought skunks (and all other mustelidae) were strictly carnivorous.

I've learned something new.
Like dogs, skunks seem to become more omnivorous in domesticity (my mother had a Beagle who also liked cabbage [actually, all fruits and vegetables except lettuce]), just as some domestic horses like meat (the racehorse Kelso liked hot dogs, and a mare I rode as a teenager liked pepperoni and Vienna sausages).

The man in Georgia didn't have a problem with curious crowds when he walked Penelope, his skunk, on a leash--when they got close enough to tell what she was (she was brown rather than black, with a white body stripe), they usually took several steps back. She was de-scented (her "skunk musk" glands had been removed), but he didn't advertise that fact in order to prevent curious crowds from forming around them.