Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cutting Basswood (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6377)

DaveinMI 01-01-2010 09:30 PM

Cutting Basswood

I need to cut some fins from 1/8" basswood, and the old #2 xacto seems to be a lot of work. Any tips ? I hate to go to the garage and fire up the radial arm saw, it's only 10 degrees F out there today ! I think I can get the job done with a hobby knife using repeated passes as the long side is only about 4", just wondering if there's something better.........
TIA, Dave in MI

Mark II 01-01-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMI
I need to cut some fins from 1/8" basswood, and the old #2 xacto seems to be a lot of work. Any tips ? I hate to go to the garage and fire up the radial arm saw, it's only 10 degrees F out there today ! I think I can get the job done with a hobby knife using repeated passes as the long side is only about 4", just wondering if there's something better.........
TIA, Dave in MI
I use a utility knife and a metal straightedge for cutting thicker basswood. The blade is much stronger and the handle gives me much more leverage. Don't try to cut through in one pass; making the cut with several shallow passes is much less work. Using a brand-new blade also really helps.

MarkII

mperdue 01-02-2010 05:48 AM

I always use a No.1 Xacto knife when cutting basswood up to 3/16" thick. Make sure your blade is sharp and use a metal straightedge.

Mario

shrox 01-02-2010 12:42 PM

A knife is fine for basswood, a saw is overkill.

Green Dragon 01-02-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
I always use a No.1 eXacto knife when cutting basswood up to 3/16" thick. Make sure your blade is sharp and use a metal straightedge.

Mario

ditto

ghrocketman 01-02-2010 04:13 PM

I use a razor saw for cutting basswood fins.
MUCH faster than using any sort of X-Acto blade !

BlackBrant 01-02-2010 06:04 PM

I just cut 4 big fins (TLP Matra magic R550) using laminated 1/8 x 3" basswood ,finished size 1/8 x 6 " . Using my small Olfa knife and a new blade ,it took between 10 -12 passes to cut cleanly through the wood in a "crossgrain" direction.Cutting with the grain took half as many passes.Cutting 3/32 and 1/16 I use a combination og Olfa knife and Exacto w/ " 24 or 11 blade.

BB

o1d_dude 01-02-2010 07:10 PM

What the ghrocketman said.

A Zona razor saw is exactly what you need. They can be found at the local hobby saw and offer a choice of fine teeth, coarse teeth, etc. No self-respecting wood butcher can be without a razor saw.

mperdue 01-02-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I use a razor saw for cutting basswood fins.
MUCH faster than using any sort of X-Acto blade !

A razor saw is a good tool to have but it seems like overkill for 1/8" basswood. To each his (or her) own.

Mario

garmtn 01-02-2010 11:57 PM

Cutting Basswood Fins

Not for nothing, overkill or not but, give me my Dewalt 788 scrollsaw ANY DAY! :D