Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Return of the Estes catalog (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17324)

Initiator001 06-14-2018 01:18 PM

Return of the Estes catalog

Yup, it's true. :)

There will be a 2018 Estes catalog.

It should be available in by the end of June.

Looking forward to it, Estes. :D

LeeR 06-14-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

Great!

My wife and I met Ellis Langford and his wife at NSL. I was even more encouraged with the change in ownership and the new management direction after talking with them. Ellis also spoke for a few minutes at the banquet.

Really nice folks! :)

ghrocketman 06-14-2018 02:13 PM

I'll be really impressed if the new ownership brings back port-burning BP SU 18mm and 27/29mm motors that were available in the 60's through 90's.
They ARE wanted; not doing so is just one more baloney excuse.

mojo1986 06-14-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'll be really impressed if the new ownership brings back port-burning BP SU 18mm and 27/29mm motors that were available in the 60's through 90's.

Might as well give it up, GH...............almost certainly not gonna happen. Truth is, YOU and a few others want them back, but it will be a niche business. Are you gonna pay substantially higher prices for them to offset the problem of low volume?

Rocketflyer 06-14-2018 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gh:

tbzep 06-14-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Might as well give it up, GH...............almost certainly not gonna happen. Truth is, YOU and a few others want them back, but it will be a niche business. Are you gonna pay substantially higher prices for them to offset the problem of low volume?

If by "a few" you mean a few thousand, yes. Probably half or more of the current NAR membership would like some B14/B8's and C5's. Just about all of us NAR folks that still fly low power would like to have a box full of them to lift our bulky projects on small fields. The other half probably only cares about HPR. Most buyers that aren't NAR members wouldn't know what they had if they saw them on the store shelves. Unfortunately, that's where Estes makes their profit.

LeeR 06-14-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

Bob,

Do you know if the catalog will be printed, or might it just be PDF?

BEC 06-14-2018 04:39 PM

Glad to hear that about the catalog!

I managed to talk to Ellis Langford for a few minutes outside the theater where the participants' briefing for the TARC final was held. He was there with Angela Everhart and one other Estes person whose name has escaped me. And of course his dad was running around like crazy since models shipped to TARC are sent to his business (Aurora Flight Sciences). Ellis was certainly saying all the right things. It is a very hopeful sign.

On B14s, B8s and C5s. Sure - I'd be happy to see any of these back. I still have a few B8s and C5s I managed to scrounge after becoming a BAR, but only have one B14.....but I'm not going to hold my breath. :)

Initiator001 06-14-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bob,

Do you know if the catalog will be printed, or might it just be PDF?

It's at the printers now. :cool:

Initiator001 06-14-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

In a post over on TRF, John Boren said everything was being looked at.
The only product that was definitely NOT going to return were B14s.

mojo1986 06-14-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If by "a few" you mean a few thousand, yes. Probably half or more of the current NAR membership would like some B14/B8's and C5's. Just about all of us NAR folks that still fly low power would like to have a box full of them to lift our bulky projects on small fields. The other half probably only cares about HPR. Most buyers that aren't NAR members wouldn't know what they had if they saw them on the store shelves. Unfortunately, that's where Estes makes their profit.

Actually I was referring to the B14. If you started a petition to send to Estes, I doubt if you could get a few hundred signatures, let alone a few thousand. And most of the signatories would probably be signing just to support their friends who wanted them............especially GH.

tbzep 06-14-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:
Actually I was referring to the B14. If you started a petition to send to Estes, I doubt if you could get a few hundred signatures, let alone a few thousand. And most of the signatories would probably be signing just to support their friends who wanted them............especially GH.

Whoever's left in the hobby that had real B14's would want them again. Most of us that had B14's actually had the pintle version which was really a B8 initially labeled a B14. The vast majority in the hobby never had any of the core burners so if you never had them, you'd never miss them. As for a petition, we are so spread out, we wouldn't even be able to get a few thousand to sign for the very survival of the hobby unless it was an online petition. BTW, several that want them wouldn't sign the petition in order to thwart GH's quest for the holy B14 grail. :chuckle:

ghrocketman 06-14-2018 10:45 PM

I still have a stash of real drilled-core B14's, some pintle-pressed B14's that are actually B8s, as well as correctly labeled B8's.
I'm VERY stingy when I burn a "real" drilled B14....I used one early this spring in a vintage Astron Sprint.
I have been able to create "pseudo" B14's with B4-2s and B4-4s as the base motor, but that still does not get one a B14/B8 booster motor which is what is really needed.
I'd be happy if Estes would bring back the B8-0 and C5-0/3.
An 18mm booster in B and C flavors with a real kick...the 24mm C11 just is not the same.

I hate the BOGUS "safety" argument against making them. I HATE SAFETY WEENIES.

tbzep 06-14-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:
I hate the BOGUS "safety" argument against making them. I HATE SAFETY WEENIES.

Then go with the "profit" argument. It adds an extra step. That means design and build a machine which costs money, or pay somebody to drill them the old fashioned way, which will cost more than just the salary of the employee.

mojo1986 06-15-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:
Whoever's left in the hobby that had real B14's would want them again. Most of us that had B14's actually had the pintle version which was really a B8 initially labeled a B14. The vast majority in the hobby never had any of the core burners so if you never had them, you'd never miss them. As for a petition, we are so spread out, we wouldn't even be able to get a few thousand to sign for the very survival of the hobby unless it was an online petition. BTW, several that want them wouldn't sign the petition in order to thwart GH's quest for the holy B14 grail. :chuckle:

Well, I don't want them, but I'd sign for GH, if only to silence him on the issue............ :)

ghrocketman 06-15-2018 07:02 AM

The B8/C5 don't require an extra step in production; they just press the propellant around a small pintle.

astronwolf 06-15-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't want them, but I'd sign for GH, if only to silence him on the issue............ :)

Or you can just keep reporting his ridiculous posts. Off topic thread stealer. Maybe eventually he'll just get banned. I'd ban him without any hesitation.

tbzep 06-15-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:
The B8/C5 don't require an extra step in production; they just press the propellant around a small pintle.

Was talking about the real B14. There's no safety issue for the pintle version. :rolleyes:

Shreadvector 06-19-2018 03:11 PM

2018 catalog is in stock and for sale on the Estes website today.

No pdf online (yet...).

BEC 06-19-2018 04:37 PM

Yeah, I keep looking for the .pdf myself and just looked again a moment ago..... :)

ghrocketman 06-19-2018 04:56 PM

They are SELLING the catalog instead of properly GIVING them away ???
Sheesh....

Scott6060842 06-19-2018 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
They are SELLING the catalog istead of properly GIVING them away ???
Sheesh....

Nothing new. They charged me 25 cents for my first one ($1.42 in 2018 dollars).

ghrocketman 06-19-2018 07:31 PM

I have always gotten them for free at the LHS.

Royatl 06-20-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:
They are SELLING the catalog istead of properly GIVING them away ???
Sheesh....

in many of the past few years if you had an account on the website, and you bought the catalog online, they would give you credit for it on a future order.

JediBoss 06-25-2018 12:42 PM

Just got mine today. A few surprises in there, the return of the Multi Roc, the Explorer Aquarius, and the #2157 Apollo XI Saturn V with some kind of a mystery bonus! The Little Joe I is on the back cover and inside too. Listed at $32.99.

JumpJet 06-26-2018 12:19 PM

You should be able to get the Estes catalog at your local hobby shop for free.

John Boren

Shreadvector 06-26-2018 12:33 PM

So buy something when you go in there for your free Estes catalog.

:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
You should be able to get the Estes catalog at your local hobby shop for free.

John Boren

ghrocketman 06-26-2018 01:27 PM

That's actually a good idea.
Maybe I'll go in there and grab another LJII or something.

Newbomb Turk 06-26-2018 05:29 PM

Definitely a good idea. I require another Citation Patriot.

ghrocketman 06-26-2018 06:10 PM

Went to a LHS today to get a catalog.
None to be found and no kits I wanted/needed either.
Grabbed a pack of E12-0s for my Omega and some more F15-4s

turbofireball 06-26-2018 07:52 PM

As we all happily know, Estes surprised us and released a new 2018 catalog last week. What you may not know is that Estes generally only ships to distributors, so you can assume that most distributors won't get the catalogs until around mid-July at the earliest, as they will need to place an order of other rocket stuff to be shipped with the catalogs to meet the minimum order amount. That means your local hobby shops won't get catalogs until around late-July.

LeeR 06-27-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
2018 catalog is in stock and for sale on the Estes website today.

No pdf online (yet...).

I ordered one today. There is no charge for shipping. I did pay 8 cents sales tax, a minor burden. :)

Shreadvector 06-27-2018 08:26 AM

I assume we will all get a copy at NARAM.

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball
As we all happily know, Estes surprised us and released a new 2018 catalog last week. What you may not know is that Estes generally only ships to distributors, so you can assume that most distributors won't get the catalogs until around mid-July at the earliest, as they will need to place an order of other rocket stuff to be shipped with the catalogs to meet the minimum order amount. That means your local hobby shops won't get catalogs until around late-July.

JumpJet 06-27-2018 08:47 AM

Yes, Catalogs will be at NARAM 60.

John Boren

Royatl 06-28-2018 10:40 PM

All this talk of printed catalogs, but I am a website designer/developer, so I looked over the Estes site for anything significant, and I found something. Or rather, I found something missing. Other than the 'Specials' page, there are no airplanes, helis, or drones. Yes, the Zip Disc is still there, but at a fire sale price. So it looks like that "re-focusing" is indeed taking place.

Lots of other bits of the site are out of date, or just poorly styled. Definitely time for an update (By the way, Ellis, I'm available to work on it! :) ).

JumpJet 06-29-2018 11:36 AM

PDF Copy online

The PDF version of the new Estes 2018 Catalog is now online.

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/...WEB_VERSION.pdf

John Boren

tbzep 06-29-2018 12:36 PM

Thanks for posting.

Interesting. The C11-x motors are still listed. There is a thrust curve for a D11.

BEC 06-29-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting.

Interesting. The C11-x motors are still listed. There is a thrust curve for a D11.

Also, the E9s are all still there. Perhaps the reports of their demise over on that other forum were premature?

Royatl 06-29-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting.

The D11 curve has been there for most of the past few catalogs.

eljefe 06-29-2018 01:59 PM

Only the C11-0, C11-7 and E9-8 are still for sale on the Estes website. Until that changes, it's hard to believe the C11 and E9 series haven't been discontinued.