Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Camping - Springbar Tents (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10127)

Ltvscout 10-25-2011 09:13 AM

Camping - Springbar Tents

Any of you out there do a lot of camping? If so, anyone own a Springbar tent? I'm looking to get a nice canvas tent, and this seems to be one of the best out there. Just looking for others that own one to see what they think of it.

kurtschachner 10-25-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Any of you out there do a lot of camping? If so, anyone own a Springbar tent? I'm looking to get a nice canvas tent, and this seems to be one of the best out there. Just looking for others that own one to see what they think of it.

Ugh, camping. Right up there with double leg amputations using no anethestic.

Having said that, you're going retro with the canvas?

Ltvscout 10-25-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner

Having said that, you're going retro with the canvas?

Retro, ya, that's it. ;)

Actually, my latest collecting craze has been old Coleman products. You should see all the lanterns and stoves I have now. :D Nothing like the hiss of an old Coleman lantern while camping, vs the glare of the fluorescent or LED lanterns so prevalent nowadays.

I have a nice Coleman nylon tent. It's an older style, back when they were made better and with more room. But, no matter how much you waterproof nylon, they still tend to leak. Also, with all the different fiberglass poles you need to put together and then erect, it takes at least two people and 30-45 minutes time to set the tent up.

The Springbar tents can be erected by one person, and generally only take about 15mins to setup. Canvas is a lot more waterproof than nylon, and it breathes better in the summer and keeps you warmer in the cool months. The Springbar is a 4-season tent should we ever be crazy enough to camp in the winter. ;)

Doug Sams 10-25-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:
Nothing like the hiss of an old Coleman lantern while camping...
Nothing like the blister on the tip of your finger from touching the nut on top of that @#$ $@&%#* @#*$% %@*($% hot lantern ;)

Doug

Doug Sams 10-25-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:
My family used to camp when I was a kid. We had a boat, and wanted to stay at the lake during the holiday weekends. Lacking funds for a hotel, cabin or houseboat, we would set up our old, second hand house tent, cook on our second hand Coleman stove, and sleep on our second hand cots :) But my mom would cook the best meals and that made you forget you were roughing it. And getting to boat and ski all weekend were a real treat.

We didn't camp for the sake of camping - I agree it's got its negatives ;) - but it enabled us to ski and boat all weekend without spending our college savings :) It was a reasonable compromise. If I ever get a boat - which I'm saving for - I may be looking for a used tent to go with ;)

[Edit] And if my wife doesn't like camping...well, that opens the door for the girlfriend who does :D

Doug

kurtschachner 10-25-2011 02:03 PM

We have an Eureka tent. Tanya and I set it up the first time, together, in the dark at our campsite. I mean we're still married, sure, but that did some damage ;)

We bought all the Coleman stuff like lanterns, stoves, etc. and they are all gas powered. I didn't want any of the propane ones either. We also have a Coleman automatic coffeemaker that fits on the stove. We used it once. It works great but it doesn't keep the coffee hot, so unless you can drink a whole pot at a time it is of limited use. It is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5008C...k/dp/B0009PURJ0

Yeah I will have to visit sometime, it has been a while :(

Quote:
Retro, ya, that's it. ;)

Actually, my latest collecting craze has been old Coleman products. You should see all the lanterns and stoves I have now. :D Nothing like the hiss of an old Coleman lantern while camping, vs the glare of the fluorescent or LED lanterns so prevalent nowadays.

I have a nice Coleman nylon tent. It's an older style, back when they were made better and with more room. But, no matter how much you waterproof nylon, they still tend to leak. Also, with all the different fiberglass poles you need to put together and then erect, it takes at least two people and 30-45 minutes time to set the tent up.

The Springbar tents can be erected by one person, and generally only take about 15mins to setup. Canvas is a lot more waterproof than nylon, and it breathes better in the summer and keeps you warmer in the cool months. The Springbar is a 4-season tent should we ever be crazy enough to camp in the winter. ;)

PaulK 10-25-2011 07:13 PM

No knowledge of Springbar, but have you looked at Laacke & Joys Wildwood tents? They're retro, and made right here in Milwaukee.

So, you collect Coleman stoves, eh? I just fixed mine up this summer, an early 60s model, I think. Before I realized these were collectible, a few years ago, I tossed the original cardboard box it came in, complete with the Gimbels address & price. Isn't it great you can still get parts for these things?

A Fish Named Wallyum 10-25-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
My family used to camp when I was a kid. We had a boat, and wanted to stay at the lake during the holiday weekends. Lacking funds for a hotel, cabin or houseboat, we would set up our old, second hand house tent, cook on our second hand Coleman stove, and sleep on our second hand cots :) But my mom would cook the best meals and that made you forget you were roughing it. And getting to boat and ski all weekend were a real treat.

We were never campers, but until 1975 we vacationed almost exclusively in Kentucky State Parks. Carter Caves, Kenlake, Kentucky Dam Village and Pennyrile Forest were some of the better ones, but they all had something we liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
[Edit] And if my wife doesn't like camping...well, that opens the door for the girlfriend who does :D

:eek: Well, I guess we know Doug's wife doesn't have in interest in rocketry forums. :rolleyes:

Mark II 10-25-2011 08:42 PM

Coleman gas lanterns are the only way to go! We used to do a lot of camping awhile back, and now that my wife can walk again we might resume doing it.

bernomatic 10-25-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:
We have an Eureka tent. Tanya and I set it up the first time, together, in the dark at our campsite. I mean we're still married, sure, but that did some damage ;)

We bought all the Coleman stuff like lanterns, stoves, etc. and they are all gas powered. I didn't want any of the propane ones either. We also have a Coleman automatic coffeemaker that fits on the stove. We used it once. It works great but it doesn't keep the coffee hot, so unless you can drink a whole pot at a time it is of limited use. It is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5008C...k/dp/B0009PURJ0

Yeah I will have to visit sometime, it has been a while :(

Should of bought the old tech version coffeee pot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...=sporting-goods
cheaper and keeps the coffee warm. I had one and the last time I used it was when we had the great electricity blackout. the neighbors came over asking about some coffee.