Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   IRIS-T paint and markings info wanted (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17158)

neil_w 03-16-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I certainly wouldn't encourage you to give up on the clear nose tip. There are clear (diisocyanate) polyurethane casting resins (the Por-A-Kast [originally made by SynAir Corporation] product line included--and may still--a clear resin, and PolyTek, Ciba-Geigy, and Alumilite [and/or other manufacturers] may offer clear casting resins). There are also epoxy casting resins, and clear ones may be available. Bare-Metal Foil also carries numerous resins and RTV mold-making rubber formulations. You could use the nose cone itself to create the nose tip mold, and the nose cone--or a shallow, hardened "pour" of resin poured into another nose cone of the same type, then removed--could (after being sprayed with a wax-based mold release compound) be used as the inner window mold plug.
I confess my ambition stops short of casting my own pieces. Rather, I shall use a "found" piece of clear plastic and graft it on there. I've been scouring the world for items of the appropriate characteristics (hemispherical, clear, rigid, about 1" diameter) and have found a few. The best pieces I could use are these: https://kitkraft.com/products/1-25-4mm-clear-domes. The only reason I'm not jumping at them is the shipping charge, which would make it like $14 for just for that one part. Instead, I've found packaging for some toy items that should fit the bill. I think. :) I will start experimenting with that stuff sometime soon, right now I'm still sand-sculpting a seemingly endless string of balsa parts. :)

eljefe 03-16-2018 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Any idea what the warning box might say between the main fins on my original picture?

Actually, found another picture at Nammo, a large Norwegian defense company that supplies the rocket motor, showing this detail.

https://www.nammo.com/what-we-do/ro.../amraam/iris-t/

WARNING DO NOT ROLL, TUMBLE OR DROP

(always good advice for a multi-million dollar explosive item!)

Quote:
  1. Anyone have any concrete info about the various serno plates all over the missile? I have a reasonable idea about the Guidance Section plate at front (shown in some pictures); the others I'm really guessing at at the moment.
Also shows some detail on this question. Those section details follow a similar format.

neil_w 03-16-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe
Actually, found another picture at Nammo, a large Norwegian defense company that supplies the rocket motor, showing this detail.
[...]
WARNING DO NOT ROLL, TUMBLE OR DROP

By golly you're right, I had that picture but couldn't make out the writing. It is consistent with your wording though.

Interestingly that render shows a hybrid paint job with the yellow and brown stripes but also with the logo.

Would the plates typically be copied on both sides, or just on one? (e.g.: the control section plate)

eljefe 03-20-2018 12:25 AM

Quote:
By golly you're right, I had that picture but couldn't make out the writing. It is consistent with your wording though.

This wording was borrowed from the Sidewinder IRIS-T is meant to replace. I found the same warning on an AIM-9M displayed at work.

Quote:
Would the plates typically be copied on both sides, or just on one? (e.g.: the control section plate)

Based on the American missiles I've seen, these markings only appear on one side of the weapon.

neil_w 03-20-2018 09:16 AM

Thanks, I think I now know enough to do a reasonable job with this. It won't stand up to educated scrutiny, but it should pass the basic sanity tests.

Should I post build updates here? I'm not gonna completely duplicate the build thread, but if folks would like periodic summary pictures here I'd be willing. It is an interesting build IMHO.

jetlag 03-20-2018 09:20 AM

Yes, please!

blackshire 03-21-2018 02:57 AM

Quote:
I confess my ambition stops short of casting my own pieces. Rather, I shall use a "found" piece of clear plastic and graft it on there. I've been scouring the world for items of the appropriate characteristics (hemispherical, clear, rigid, about 1" diameter) and have found a few. The best pieces I could use are these: https://kitkraft.com/products/1-25-4mm-clear-domes. The only reason I'm not jumping at them is the shipping charge, which would make it like $14 for just for that one part. Instead, I've found packaging for some toy items that should fit the bill. I think. :) I will start experimenting with that stuff sometime soon, right now I'm still sand-sculpting a seemingly endless string of balsa parts. :)
You could also vacu-form the entire nose cone in clear styrene (or maybe clear ABS plastic, if there is such a thing), then mask off the tip and spray-paint the remainder. Many PSS glider (and scale sailplane) builders do this, to create canopies (after vacu-forming, they heat the molded canopies moderately for a few minutes, so that the molding stresses are relieved; this prevents cracking of the canopies later). The IRIS-T's rounded nose would lend itself well to vacu-forming.

neil_w 03-21-2018 08:31 PM

Build intro

2 Attachment(s)
OK here's the start of the actual build.

OR model images are attached. The render looks pretty good, but OR limitations preclude many of the details that I'll be building into the actual rocket. I have found no drawings for this rocket so everything is derived from looking at pictures. The end result should be reasonably close but certainly not exact. Sport scale.

The model is BT55 and just under 30" long, for a scale of roughly 1:3.8.

neil_w 03-21-2018 08:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
First bit of assembly is the "conduit" (or whatever) that runs along the bottom of the airframe, almost front to back. Started with 1/8" balsa, hollowed out the bottom and shaped the top. Came out pretty good.

blackshire 03-21-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:
OK here's the start of

OR model images are attached. The render looks pretty good, but OR limitation preclude many of the details that I'll be building into the actual rocket. I have found no drawings for this rocket so everything is derived from looking at pictures. The end result should be reasonably close but certainly not exact. Sport scale.

The model is BT55 and just under 30" long, for a scale of roughly 1:3.8.
Thank you! (I don't know what OR means ["something" resolution?], though). Looking at these images, I wouldn't be surprised if this model would make a good "tail-slider" boost-glider. (Also, a sufficiently lightweight IRIS-T model might even glide normally, having such a large--for a missile--wing area.)