Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Periwinkle (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5760)

mycrofte 08-18-2009 03:58 AM

Periwinkle

2 Attachment(s)
Thought I would put up a build photo of her PERIWINKLE rocket. The people she works with didn't believe she designed and built her own rocket. So, I took a couple of pictures to prove it.

And you get to see the fin alignment guide I made from a piece of paneling with a C6-5 mounted on it...

foose4string 08-18-2009 12:17 PM

Who is "she"?

mycrofte 08-18-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Who is "she"?

She would be, Mary, my fiancee. We have been together for about 2 years now. And the proud builder/owner of a Pink Goblin mentioned in other posts here!

And, the Periwinkle is something she drew up on a napkin one morning while we were drinking coffee.

jadebox 08-18-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
Thought I would put up a build photo of her PERIWINKLE rocket. The people she works with didn't believe she designed and built her own rocket. So, I took a couple of pictures to prove it.

That's a very nice looking design. I wonder if it'll whistle in flight. :-)

-- Roger

mycrofte 09-03-2009 05:26 PM

The Periwinkle is about done. Did a swing test today and had to glue a penny in the nose end of the tube. I hope to do some touch up sanding tomorrow and apply a final coat of primer.

jflis 09-03-2009 06:25 PM

That is a very cool little design there.

I have one concern though... It may just be me, but it looks as though the balsa grain direction is parallel to the body tube instead of the leading edge of the fin. If that is the case (especially with those cut-outs), you are highly likely to break a fin while transporting, flying and/or recovering...

mycrofte 09-04-2009 04:34 AM

No, that's just the direction she sanded it. If I remember, the leading edge was the edge of the balsa sheet.

Because of the cut outs, I made it 1/8th inch balsa with two coats of clear varnish. So, what you see has been sanded a lot.

I just looked at it again. The grain actually goes somewhere in between the tube and the leading edge. So, I have no idea how I laid it out now...

mycrofte 09-07-2009 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would put up a near complete on the build.

It has a handful of flaws, but it is only her second rocket . Well, the penny nose weight is my mistake. But, I hope I can get it out and glue it farther down so the nose cone doesn't hit it.

mycrofte 09-15-2009 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The fully "armed and operational" Periwinkle. Now we are just waiting on the farmer to harvest our launch site!

DaveR 09-15-2009 08:53 AM

For some reason, I didn't notice the tail cone before. Nice touch. :cool: