Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Why pick Old Krylon???? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9266)

dyaugo 05-18-2011 11:16 PM

Why pick Old Krylon????

Today I thought I would go out and see if I could fine some of the most sought after "Old Krylon" paint. Not much luck...checked Wally World, Home Depot, Autozone and Kragen. Rustoleum seems to have dominated the market and the paint I have been using is Duplicolor, but I'm always willing to try something new. Wally World did have the Krylon Fusion paint, with the indented cap, but I don't know much about that paint. I know you can buy the stuff online, but before I'm forced to buy a case I like to try a can first and see then if I like it?

How come the Old Krylon is so much better? Is it because you don't have to wait "x" number of elapsed time to reapply? Does spray out nice compared to most? I always been happy with Duplicolor and some of the Rustoleum automotive formulas, aside from their Gloss White.

I'm sure back in the day I used the Krylon "old" brand, but not on any rockets...maybe something else? Anyway just looking for feed back.

Thanks

Tau Zero 05-18-2011 11:27 PM

Re: Why pick Old Krylon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
Today I thought I would go out and see if I could fine some of the most sought after "Old Krylon" paint. Not much luck...
[SNIP] Anyway just looking for feed back.
(Rhetorical question) Because you can't get it anymore? :eek: :rolleyes: :p :o

dyaugo 05-18-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
(Rhetorical question) Because you can't get it anymore? :eek: :rolleyes: :p :o

LOL I know it's like a wild goose chase or a treasure hunt?.... :)

pantherjon 05-19-2011 07:11 AM

I THINK the only way to get the OLD formula is online..It is now the 'industrial' line???

tbzep 05-19-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:
How come the Old Krylon is so much better?

It's more forgiving. Recoating can be done almost anytime. You can lay it on a little thicker without running so you don't have to apply as many coats. You can apply a final heavy coat without running to make it look nice and slick. It was available just about everywhere. There were many colors to choose from. It is compatible with a wider variety of other paints.

dyaugo 05-19-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It's more forgiving. Recoating can be done almost anytime. You can lay it on a little thicker without running so you don't have to apply as many coats. You can apply a final heavy coat without running to make it look nice and slick. It was available just about everywhere. There were many colors to choose from. It is compatible with a wider variety of other paints.

It seems when there's something good they have to get rid of it

ghrocketman 05-19-2011 09:35 AM

Paint Companies usually only reformulate paints that have a good customer base due to their quality/solvent package when some over-reaching ******* gubmint agency forces them to do so for some mamby-pamby whacko reason.
The BEST solution to combat paint formulation changes would be to de-fund the gubmint branch forcing the changes by refusing them any $$$ in the nat'l budget.

luke strawwalker 05-19-2011 03:46 PM

You won't find "old" Krylon outside of industrial supply houses anymore... Grainger's and such... it was the formulation that made it 'so good'... Old Krylon was a lacquer, so the solvents were really "hot" (evaporated quickly) and therefore the recoat times were nil and the paint dried fast enough and hard enough that folks masking off the rocket to put down many different two, three, or four tone paint jobs could get the job done quickly-- shoot the first color, give it an hour the paint was dry, ready for masking for the second color, shoot it, let it tack up good, peel the masking, wait a bit, ready to mask for the third color, etc... The hot lacquer solvents were also it's Achilles heel-- the EPA has really come down on VOC (volatile organic chemicals) including spray paint solvents, due to their contribution to smog and pollution (if you believe that sort of thing). At any rate, the "consumer" spray paints are all pretty much limited to the 'gentler' solvents found in enamel paints... which take longer to dry, and have 'recoat' windows which one is well advised to obey if they don't want the first coat to alligator or wrinkle or do other really nasty things to ruin the entire paint job when you apply the second or subsequent coats. Also, if you're doing multi-tone paint jobs, you'd better not get in any rush to finish the rocket-- you'll have to wait usually 24-48 hours for the first color to harden up enough to take masking tape without marring the finish or lifting when you peel the tape off. Waiting 2 days between colors hacks a lot of people off, but it is what it is.

Duplicolor can be either enamel or lacquer, so be sure you know what you're getting before you shoot it! Enamel can be sprayed over lacquer paints/primers, but if you put a lacquer over an enamel it usually wrinkles and takes the underlying coat right off! SO be careful, ESPECIALLY if you use one brand of primer and another brand of paint over it. Some paint brands have better reputations than others... "New" Krylon has been reported to be a rather 'tempermental' brand in that sometimes it doesn't "play nice" with its own primers or first coats-- even when one religeously follows the recoat time warnings, or even waits longer, which means the first coat should be even MORE cured and resistant to bad things happening. Additionally, new Krylon uses a rather cumbersome and IMHO poor nozzle tip, a flat fan pattern (like a spray paint gun) but the atomization is rather poor and it tends to overapply paint if you use it like a conventional "cone" pattern spray can nozzle. You have to modify your painting style a bit to make up for the differences in the nozzle, and if you're the kind of painter that sometimes get runs in the paint from a regular 'cone' nozzle (usually from moving too slowly or applying too heavy of a coat) you are MUCH more likely to get a run with the flat fan new Krylon nozzle-- you MUST spray with the flat fan perpendicular to the direction of the spray pass, and you MUST move the can much more quickly than you would with a cone nozzle.

I've had good luck with Walmart Colorplace paints, and the price is right. I prefer them to new Krylon, but the colors are quite limited. I've done almost all my rockets with Colorplace, because most of the stuff I've been building has been semiscalers which predominantly use black and white. Their red oxide primer was excellent-- not a true "high solids" primer but it had a LOT of solids in it and filled well, but they discontinued it. Their gray primer is good, though, and fills well with 3 or 4 coats. The paint goes on smooth and dries really nice, and I haven't experienced any incompatibility problems or recoat problems with it, even when not paying particular attention to the recoat instructions. I've heard good things about Valspar-- it's widely available at places like Lowe's and also they make a line of tractor paints in spray cans with a wide variety of colors available at Tractor Supply Co, Rural King, and Big R among other ag-wallyworlds. I'm kinda fond of "Allis Chalmers Orange"-- sort of a "General Lee" bright orange.

Duplicolor is a good brand-- it's designed to be an automotive touch-up paint, and it comes as either a lacquer or enamel, often on the same shelf, and so BE SURE of what you've got before you shoot it! Incompatibility between formulations can ruin your whole day!

Rustoleum is good paint. I've heard good things about Plasti-kote. I'd stay away from the Krylon "fusion" stuff as it's made for applying to and bonding to plastics, so I'm unsure of it's spraying qualities, durability, or bonding characteristics... might be worth trying it on a few small sport rockets though to find out if one were so inclined...

Other than that, that's about it... I've noticed that SOME paint manufacturer's don't even put what the formulation is on the can... MOST modern paints you can be 95% sure are enamels, BUT there's always the exception to the rule! In case the can doesn't say what the formulation is, if it says "recoat anytime" and/or "dry to the touch within one hour- fully cured in 24 hours" (or something close to that) you can be pretty sure it's a lacquer, so DO NOT apply it over enamel primers/paints! If the can says "recoat within one hour or after 24 hours" and/or "dry to the touch after 6-8 hours, fully cured in 48 hours" (or something to that effect) you can be almost certain it's an enamel and can go over anything. IF IN DOUBT, SPRAY A TEST OBJECT WITH THE DESIRED PRIMER/UNDERCOAT/TOPCOAT. Better to see it ruin the finish on the test object than the prepped and sanded rocket!

Good luck and hope this helps! OL JR

scigs30 05-19-2011 04:15 PM

I have used different brands of paints over the years and so far Krylon has been the best. Not to say I did not get good results with other brands, but the Old Krylon just fits me better. Wal Mart and other places sell .99 cent spray paint that is Enamel and it works pretty good for the price. The problem is it takes forever to dry, I usually wait a week before masking or recoating especially if I missed the 3 hour recoat window. You can still buy old Krylon and there is a pretty good choice of colors but you have to buy a 6 pack at 4.20 a can. Still not a bad price when compared to Testors new Lacquer Model Masters paints that run 6 bucks for a much smaller can. I was lucky and bought a bunch of the old Krylon when Walmart was dumping it off for the new stuff, I bought boxes of old Krylon at .99 a can. I was buying it at Grainger, no shipping since I could buy it at a local store but I think they are discontinuing it. I don't know if this means that Krylon stopped making it or what. Right now Grainger is selling it for under 5.oo a can.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KR...AVX7?Pid=search
http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/j...-exterior-paint

jharding58 05-19-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:
It seems when there's something good they have to get rid of it

Thank CAL EPA for that. The required reduction in VOC forced the reformulation. Hence the old formula is only available to professional users by the case. And the colours are quite reduced.