Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Identify these rockets? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10242)

MonsterRocket 11-15-2011 11:17 PM

Identify these rockets?

A buddy of mine said he had a couple old rockets he was gonna send me. The box arrived the other day. I have no idea what these 2 are and thought maybe someone here could identify them?

Here's the first one -

And a 2 stage rocket with a clear payload section.

Any ideas? I'd like to rebuild that top one myself if it's an actual kit I can track down

MonsterRocket 11-15-2011 11:37 PM

Okay, found out the bottom one is a Estes Warp II (it's old, so it's not the newer Loadstar version)

CPMcGraw 11-15-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterRocket
A buddy of mine said he had a couple old rockets he was gonna send me. The box arrived the other day. I have no idea what these 2 are and thought maybe someone here could identify them?

Here's the first one -

And a 2 stage rocket with a clear payload section.

Any ideas? I'd like to rebuild that top one myself if it's an actual kit I can track down

The 2-stage payloader was released under two names:

Warp II, and Loadstar. The Warp II version was yellow and black.

Ninfinger link to Warp II.

The first one looks like a scratch-built design, made up from the remnants of a Centuri Blackbird. The Estes Blackbird had a more scale-like nose.

Ninfinger link to SR-71.

kevinj 11-15-2011 11:47 PM

The other one looks like it started life as an SR-71, judging by the embossed paper.

kj

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-16-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
The other one looks like it started life as an SR-71, judging by the embossed paper.

kj

Bet that one would make for an interesting flight pattern. ;)

MonsterRocket 11-16-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
The Warp II version was yellow and black.

Yeah, I think I might sand it down a bit and give it the yellow and black paintjob

Quote:
The first one looks like a scratch-built design, made up from the remnants of a Centuri Blackbird

I was thinking it might be a crazy Centuri rocket I had never seen since there was a still sealed Centuri Fireflash kit in there also. I wouldn't doubt it's some kind of custom job though since my buddy that built it was a Special Effects artist in Hollywood.

jharding58 11-16-2011 10:11 AM

I'll fall in line on the SR-71 kit-bash with the corrugated panels and the nozzles with turkey feathers.

chrism 11-16-2011 10:18 AM

The first one looks like it has a styrofoam coffee cup on the back.

MonsterRocket 11-16-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
The first one looks like it has a styrofoam coffee cup on the back.

It's plastic lol. Not saying it's not part of a cup, but not styrofoam. I might have to run out and launch it. Depends on how wet it is out because I'll be lying flat on the ground, just in case. LOL

MonsterRocket 11-16-2011 12:56 PM

Okay, I called my buddy who built it (he's not the same friend that sent it to me lol).
It is indeed a custom build. He worked on a movie called "Spaced Invaders" and it's based on the Martian spaceship from that film. He and another FX artist that worked on the film had a bet going to see who could build a rocket version of the ship that would actually fly.
He told me "It does fly". We shall see sometime soon...

Here's a shot of the ship in the film