Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WANTED: Scans and info on the Estes Goblin (1255) (ca. 1975-1982) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16443)

K'Tesh 01-22-2017 12:27 PM

WANTED: Scans and info on the Estes Goblin (1255) (ca. 1975-1982)

Any chance someone has an Estes Goblin (1255), from sometime between 1975-1982?

I want to see how it differs from the K-55 version and the modern version.

I'm doing research now on the Goblin. I've simmed up the (K-55) from prior to 1975, and I've got a modern Goblin (7237) in my hands now (Thanks Mom!), what I haven't seen anywhere is the instructions for the (1255) (from sometime between 1975-1982).

I want to see how it differs from the older and newer versions.

What I'd like is instructions for it, as well as scans of the fins and decals (with a ruler for scaling).

Thanks!
Jim

K'Tesh 01-25-2017 04:45 AM

Bump

K'Tesh 02-23-2017 05:46 AM

Bump again... I'm still looking for that info.

Thanks!

jdbectec 02-23-2017 10:12 AM

I just looked at the 1982 catalog. It still shows a balsa nose cone and has no die-cut fins. Therefore I think It is safe to assume it remained unchanged.

K'Tesh 02-23-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
I just looked at the 1982 catalog. It still shows a balsa nose cone and has no die-cut fins. Therefore I think It is safe to assume it remained unchanged.

While the kit may have not been changed (with plastic nosecone), I'm sure that the instructions must have, if nothing else to change the kit number from K-55 to 1255.

jdbectec 02-23-2017 12:04 PM

I know some of them Wac-Corporal and V-2 for instance only changed face cards and hang tags.Of course they did make a minor change in fin shape for the sky hook and print new instructions,so yes, it could be different.How much different is the new goblin other than the nose come? Are the fins any different shape wise?

K'Tesh 02-23-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
I know some of them Wac-Corporal and V-2 for instance only changed face cards and hang tags.Of course they did make a minor change in fin shape for the sky hook and print new instructions,so yes, it could be different.How much different is the new goblin other than the nose come? Are the fins any different shape wise?

I'm tracking down the history of certain designs that have caught my eye. This is one of them.

Some time after 1982, I picked up a Goblin. For the longest time, I wasn't interested in the design, and I hated balsa nosecones (Yes, I was young, and foolish)... I wouldn't have bought any rockets with a balsa nosecone, and when I came back to rocketry as a BAR in 2013, I didn't have any BNC-55AO's in my collection. Despite my dislike for balsa nosecones at the time, I'm not in the habit of tossing things that might be useful someday (read: I have a lot of stuff (even now, just not at my fingertips)). However, I did have the Goblin's decals (and IIRC the instructions) in my stash of rocketry supplies. I managed to scan some of my decals (including the Goblin's), but didn't think to scan many of my instructions while I was attending PSU. Now I'm in China, and my stash is sitting in a storage unit somewhere in northern Jefferson State.

I've noticed that with the Alpha, the newest version not only has a new shape for the nosecone (it's pointier), the motor mount now protrudes behind the back of the body tube instead of flush. I want to see how the kit has evolved over time. Did it ever come with a PNC-50AO as the 1255? If so, when? For how long? You raised the issue of hand cut fins, did it ship with die crushed fins ever? When? For how long?

As to your question about the fins, I don't know... yet. I haven't managed to print the old template to compare to my current 7237's fins (I've got one here thanks to my mom). The engine mount is certainly at least slightly different thanks to the new engine hook design.

The instructions can help me answer those questions.

Joe Wooten 02-23-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Any chance someone has an Estes Goblin (1255), from sometime between 1975-1982?

I want to see how it differs from the K-55 version and the modern version.

I'm doing research now on the Goblin. I've simmed up the (K-55) from prior to 1975, and I've got a modern Goblin (7237) in my hands now (Thanks Mom!), what I haven't seen anywhere is the instructions for the (1255) (from sometime between 1975-1982).

I want to see how it differs from the older and newer versions.

What I'd like is instructions for it, as well as scans of the fins and decals (with a ruler for scaling).

Thanks!
Jim

I think I still have the kit instructions. Let me see if I was prescient enough to trace the fin pattern....

Joe Wooten 02-23-2017 02:06 PM

BTW..... Whatcha doing in China?

K'Tesh 02-23-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
I think I still have the kit instructions. Let me see if I was prescient enough to trace the fin pattern....

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
BTW..... Whatcha doing in China?

Teaching English as a foreign language, designing rockets, and a whole lot of OpenRocket sims.