Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rocketflite F104 specs (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4740)

Rocketflite 02-20-2009 07:56 PM

Rocketflite F104 specs

Hi All,

Here is what I remember about the thrust curves for our *modified black powder F104 series motors.

*a fast curing water based elastomer was mixed into the propellant just prior to pressing to intially provide lubrication during the several ton loading process and then later cured out to provide a elasticity type attachment to the aluminum casing.

(6061 T-6 aluminum innner casing with custom made virgin craft outer paper casing.)

F104 plain black powder. (non -SS)

Propellant weight: 62.5 grams
Thrust duration from point of ignition to burnout: 0.9 seconds
Peak thrust reached at 0.5 seconds into the burn.
Peak thrust approximatly 40 lbs.
Delay times: 0,5,7,9

F104SS (Silver Streak)

Thrust duration from point of ignition to burnout: 0.7 seconds
Peak thrust reached at 0.4 seconds into the burn.
Peak thrust approximatly 40lbs.

Greg Dyben
Rocketflite

5x7 02-20-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflite
Hi All,

Here is what I remember about the thrust curves for our *modified black powder F104 series motors.

*a fast curing water based elastomer was mixed into the propellant just prior to pressing to intially provide lubrication during the 5 ton loading process and then later cured out to provide a elasticity type attachment to the aluminum casing.

(6061 T-6 aluminum innner casing with custom made virgin craft outer paper casing.)

F104 plain black powder. (non -SS)

Thrust duration from point of ignition to burnout: 0.9 seconds
Peak thrust reached at 0.5 seconds into the burn.
Peak thrust approximatly 40 lbs.

F104SS (Silver Streak)

Thrust duration from point of ignition to burnout: 0.7 seconds
Peak thrust reached at 0.4 seconds into the burn.
Peak thrust approximatly 40lbs.

Greg Dyben
Rocketflite

Cool!

Greg, can you say what made the awesome sparks?

LeeR 02-20-2009 10:32 PM

I remember using a few of the Fs, but buying a BUNCH of G160 and H220 Silver Streaks at LDRS in Kansas ~ 1994. Those were amazing motors. We brought quite a few home, and usually saved them for flights at dusk, or evenings.

Rocketflite 02-21-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Cool!

Greg, can you say what made the awesome sparks?

Titanium sponge

Ltvscout 02-21-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Great information, Greg! We appreciate learning about the cool motors you used to make.

Rocketflite 02-21-2009 10:08 AM

There is an article written about our F50 motor (later renamed F104) in the 1992 April issue of High Powered Rocketry. You will find it on page 66, it shows a cut a way view of the motor.

Gingerdawg 02-21-2009 11:19 AM

And the next, most important question - when will they be coming back???????? ;)

shockwaveriderz 02-21-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:
There is an article written about our F50 motor (later renamed F104) in the 1992 April issue of High Powered Rocketry. You will find it on page 66, it shows a cut a way view of the motor.

anybody happen to have this magazine issue so they could psst the article?

terry dean

Rocketflite 02-21-2009 01:22 PM

I plan on pressing a few F motors later this summer for personal use & testing. Some of them will be given to a person who has asked for them. He will reveal himself and the project he is working on at the proper time. I will not be able to sell any motors until I have obtained the required Federal, State and local permits needed plus liability insurance. Even though I live on 3 acres of commercial property this could be difficult depending on the resitance I get from the local community. I'm working on a back up plan should this fail.

Rocketflite 02-21-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
anybody happen to have this magazine issue so they could psst the article?

terry dean

I have a photo copy of this article. How do I go about getting it in your hands?