Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is it an STM, or is it a Bandit? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17322)

LeeR 06-12-2018 09:50 PM

Is it an STM, or is it a Bandit?

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my latest build. It’s sort of a Bandit, but the parts came out of an STM-012 bag. A friend with perhaps the largest collection of these kits gave me one — with what I think was an ultimatum ... “I want to see what you can do with it”. 😂
I took him seriously. This did not mean that I was just to give it a unique paint job. I chopped the lower tube, used the cutoff for the payload section, and trimmed the stock fins a bit.
This is my first Stickershock build. Mark Hayes does awesome vinyl!

BARGeezer 06-13-2018 12:47 AM

Looks great! The STM is just begging to be converted into a two stage bird. Maybe kitbashed with 29mm motor mounts and gap staging?

tbzep 06-13-2018 09:11 AM

Looks like a tiny hole between both sets of fins. Pop lug mounts? Altimeter? Ant scale doors?

BTW, not being picky. I was zooming to get a look at the stickershock decals.

LeeR 06-13-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
Looks great! The STM is just begging to be converted into a two stage bird. Maybe kitbashed with 29mm motor mounts and gap staging?

Tempting, for sure! Maybe on the next one.

LeeR 06-13-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Looks like a tiny hole between both sets of fins. Pop lug mounts? Altimeter? Ant scale doors?

BTW, not being picky. I was zooming to get a look at the stickershock decals.

Good catch, even zoomed in! They are holes for the mini rail buttons. I pretty much use them on everything if possible. I took picture before applying clearcoat. I normally use a matte finish, but like the glossy look and may just go with Future floor polish.

The application of vinyl takes some getting used to. One of the Bandit name decals is slightly crooked, I let go of the application tape and the decal touched the rocket. With all letters being separate pieces, I didn’t want to risk trying to lift it off. Fortunately, it’s pretty minor.

tbzep 06-13-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Good catch, even zoomed in! They are holes for the mini rail buttons. I pretty much use them on everything if possible. I took picture before applying clearcoat. I normally use a matte finish, but like the glossy look and may just go with Future floor polish.

The application of vinyl takes some getting used to. One of the Bandit name decals is slightly crooked, I let go of the application tape and the decal touched the rocket. With all letters being separate pieces, I didn’t want to risk trying to lift it off. Fortunately, it’s pretty minor.

It looks great! I was only zooming to see how small vinyl details could be. I forgot you use rail buttons.

LeeR 06-13-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It looks great! I was only zooming to see how small vinyl details could be. I forgot you use rail buttons.

I’m not at home today, but I’ll take a picture of the small lettering when I get home tonight. For the little “hatch-like” decals for the Bandit, the text is individual letters. I’m surprised vinyl cutters can cut so accurately. Mark Hayes says some lettering is too small to cut, and must be printed on a solid piece of vinyl, like printing a label. Amazing that is not required on these.

Blushingmule 06-13-2018 03:53 PM

Lee,

I really like that "Bandit"!

Need to check out Stickershock...

Bob

neil_w 06-13-2018 08:10 PM

That looks truly spectacular. I may copy that paint scheme someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingmule
Need to check out Stickershock...

You won't be sorry.

tbzep 06-13-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
That looks truly spectacular. I may copy that paint scheme someday.

Estes has already copied it off Lee. ;)