Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Taser Twin, Ricochet, Crossbow, Star Stryker build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5142)

scigs30 04-20-2009 01:24 PM

Estes Taser Twin, Ricochet, Crossbow, Star Stryker build

Well I am going to give this a shot. I am already building the Vintage Blue Bird, and now I am going to add 4 more kits. I have over 300 vintage kits to build and with these new kits coming out it makes it tough to build them all. When I fly my vintage kits people ask where I buy them, and unfortunately I have to tell them these kits are no longer made. Now I can fly these new kits and hopefully attract new rocketeers. These are simple kits and should not take long. Look at the cool white trash bag for a parachute. :chuckle: I will also post the progress of my Blue Bird Zero today. These builds will not delay my Shrike build.

stefanj 04-20-2009 02:48 PM

Thanks for starting this project. I'm very curious about the new kits.

I don't much like the looks of the Crossbow or Star Stryker, but the others I may pick up.

The Taser Twin is such an oddity, like something a kid who owns a Skyhook might put together after losing the upper stage of his Apogee II.

Ltvscout 04-20-2009 05:52 PM

Cool stuff. Thanks for showing us the parts. What's the size of that CPT?

CPMcGraw 04-20-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Cool stuff. Thanks for showing us the parts. What's the size of that CPT?

Looks like BT-20 for the main body and BT-50 for the payload section. Notice the mylar sleeve for holding the engine hook to the outside of the tube?

tbzep 04-20-2009 07:09 PM

Plain white chutes? That ticks me off. :mad:

I'm about ready to slap a few congress critters up side the head.

Davidtmp 04-20-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

Do those Congress idiots know how hard a white chute is to see from 1500ft??

snaquin 04-20-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

Yeah, a white chute is more "sustainable" than say a cool Der Red Max chute ..... :rolleyes:

barone 04-20-2009 07:25 PM

Taser Twin Gotcha........

The motor block is glued into the end of the booster tube......don't matter which end. But, when you glue the fins onto the booster BT, it doesn't tell you where to orient them. If you look close at the drawing, you will notice the hidden lines representing the motor block and that you are marking the booster BT 1/4" from that end. But, if you don't notice it, you could get the fins glued onto the BT in the wrong position.

For those of you who don't have one yet..... :D , the motor block in the booster is used for motor retention so it's positioned in the aft end of the booster BT instead of the forward end.

CPMcGraw 04-20-2009 07:36 PM

I just tossed some parts together based on a quick-n-dirty guesstimate of the components used in the kit, and ran some flight sims of the Star Stryker...

The best 18mm engine is the QUEST A6-4...

Gets 337' altitude with a Dv of 4 FPS.

The Estes A8-3 deploys at 367' with a Dv of 30 FPS, ascending.
The Estes A8-5 deploys at 376' with a Dv of 32 FPS, descending.

Using an adapter, the design gets 432' with a Dv of 6 FPS on the A3-4T. 410' and 20 FPS on the A10-3T.

A B6-6 gets 738' and 30 FPS, descending. The B6-4 gets 726' and 34 FPS. Ouch...
The QUEST B6-4 gets 780' and 37 FPS...

The C6-5 gets 1365' and 21 FPS, aascending.

CPMcGraw 04-20-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Taser Twin Gotcha........

The motor block is glued into the end of the booster tube......don't matter which end. But, when you glue the fins onto the booster BT, it doesn't tell you where to orient them. If you look close at the drawing, you will notice the hidden lines representing the motor block and that you are marking the booster BT 1/4" from that end. But, if you don't notice it, you could get the fins glued onto the BT in the wrong position.

For those of you who don't have one yet..... :D , the motor block in the booster is used for motor retention so it's positioned in the aft end of the booster BT instead of the forward end.

That's exactly the way the Apogee and Apogee II boosters were designed.

Can you give us a root edge measurement on the booster fins?