Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Krylon paint does indeed suck (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6563)

rocketpunch 02-08-2010 01:23 PM

New Krylon paint does indeed suck

Well, I have been reading all the talk here, and elsewhere, about how the new Krylon isn't what it used to be. I haven't painted a kit in quite awhile, but thought how bad could it really be. So today I decided to try it. I had previously primed the rocket with a few coats of new Krylon white primer and didn't really have any issues with it. So next it was time to try out the new gloss white.

So, I start spraying the gloss white and everything is fine for a moment and then "pop". The new rotatable spray nozel/atomizer thing pops off in mid spray resulting in my rocket being covered in big goobery globs of paint. Thanks Krylon! :mad:

The paint can be sanded off and fixed, but the bottom line is I'll never use Krylon again.

ghrocketman 02-08-2010 02:44 PM

Don't say you were not warned by a bunch of us here.... :D

That stuff is pure rubbish.

I thankfully live in a state that does not generally require reformulation of anything and most of the people would either ask "What the hell is a VOC ?" and when you told them, most would not care one iota.

Mark II 02-08-2010 03:48 PM

I've never had a problem with it, and I've painted with it many times, using a number of different colors, both for primary coats and for accent colors after masking. Everything has come out fine, and I have received compliments at launches on my rockets' paint jobs. So far, you have bought one can of it, and have tried using it once. That's not exactly a complete trial. But use whatever brand you like - there are many choices available.

MarkII

rokitflite 02-08-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I've never had a problem with it, and I've painted with it many times, using a number of different colors, both for primary coats and for accent colors after masking. Everything has come out fine, and I have received compliments at launches on my rockets' paint jobs. So far, you have bought one can of it, and have tried using it once. That's not exactly a complete trial. But use whatever brand you like - there are many choices available.

MarkII

Compared to the OLD formula, which many of us have used for DECADES, the old stuff DOES suck. We've seen your posts singing its praises and it is very cool that you have learned to get some outstanding results from it, but I'm sorry, compared to the original formula the new stuff is not as good. At some point we may have to learn to use the new stuff, but that will be after I have exhausted every single drop out of the old cans.

Rocketpunch, the old formula is still available under the name "Krylon Industrial". I have been using primarily their Gloss White and have found that the Tamiya and Testors Laquer sprays work well over it and both show similar drying characteristics to the old Krylon. Also, there is no "recoat any time" issue with them. The draw back is that they are kinda expensive.

rocketpunch 02-08-2010 07:48 PM

Thanks Scott, I'll keep an eye out for Krylon Industrial. My complaint, of couse, is less about the paint itself, but the new nozzel that others have complained about as well. I never really got to actually try the new paint because the nozzel blew off the can. :eek: I have no idea where it is and the paint can went in the trash.

I'm going to try another brand and see how it goes.

Mark II 02-08-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Compared to the OLD formula, which many of us have used for DECADES, the old stuff DOES suck. We've seen your posts singing its praises and it is very cool that you have learned to get some outstanding results from it, but I'm sorry, compared to the original formula the new stuff is not as good. At some point we may have to learn to use the new stuff, but that will be after I have exhausted every single drop out of the old cans.

Rocketpunch, the old formula is still available under the name "Krylon Industrial". I have been using primarily their Gloss White and have found that the Tamiya and Testors Laquer sprays work well over it and both show similar drying characteristics to the old Krylon. Also, there is no "recoat any time" issue with them. The draw back is that they are kinda expensive.
I never tried to tout it as the greatest paint ever; I just reported my own experience with it, which led me to believe that it didn't actually suck quite so hard and that it could be worked with. I am being honest here in saying that I have no real idea why I have been so lucky; I have tried putting out some explanations, but really those have just been speculative. I'm just as much in the dark about it as anyone else.

I have never tried either Testor's Acrylic or Tamiya spray paints, mainly because getting to the only hobby shop in my entire region of the state is a bit of a journey, so I only get to it a couple of times a year. But I have heard nothing but good things about them, so I'd really like to check them out. I'm always looking for better paint. I use Krylon more than any other brand because it is the easiest one to obtain in my area.

I just want to add that I have used plenty of Old Krylon in the past, too, and I never found it to be the miracle paint, either. I had a good number of just fair to middling results with it, and in some cases I ended up sanding it all off and starting over. It never impressed me as being especially great paint, any more than the new kind does. I do have more of a feel for painting with spray cans now than I did when the old stuff was still widely available, though.

MarkII

blackshire 02-08-2010 08:21 PM

Valspar spray paint?

How well does Valspar enamel spray paint work on model rockets? My local Michael's carries it (in gloss, flat, and fluorescent colors as well as in clear gloss and clear flat) along with Krylon.

zog139 02-08-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
It never impressed me as being especially great paint, any more than the new kind does. I do have more of a feel for painting with spray cans now than I did when the old stuff was still widely available, though.

MarkII

Really ????????????????

My comment echoes several others and I'll emphasize a couple points.

1. The old Krylon formula was/is a recoat anytime formula. the new stuff is limited ( I dont recall )

2. The one can of gloss white new formula I bought, went on very thin..... ran like crazy ......and did not cover near as well.

3. Compatibility with other paints and even other Krylon colors. I had it happen once , but I keep hearing stories about wrinkling and orange peel issues. Never have had this problem with the old formula.

tbzep 02-08-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
How well does Valspar enamel spray paint work on model rockets? My local Michael's carries it (in gloss, flat, and fluorescent colors as well as in clear gloss and clear flat) along with Krylon.

Valspar makes rattle can paint in lacquer and enamel. Both have been excellent for me, but I really love the lacquer because it dries fast and is very forgiving. They have a good selection of enamel colors, and the red enamel is nice and bright.

Rustoleum also has a limited lacquer line along with their regular line. The Rustoleum lacquer red is nice and bright also. Neither are quite as good as the Testors' Italian red, which I consider the ultimate red paint, but they are very close.

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-08-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire

Great. It sells at the Lowe's that is just across the bridge from my part of town, so it's what I've been using for years. I occasionally slut around with other paints when I want to do something different, but Valspar is my "go-to" brand. (Just look at almost any review I've done. :rolleyes: )