Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ok (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10228)

tbzep 11-14-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
It doesn't take much to design rockets...there's a lot of builders out there that put together some nice "ORIGINAL" scratch builds in other forums.

It doesn't take much to design a rocket. But it does take a lot of talent to design a rocket that makes me want to buy it after being exposed to the classic Estes and Centuri exotic kits for all these years. Most of the scratch kits I see on "other forums" are not that interesting to me.

dyaugo 11-14-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It doesn't take much to design a rocket. But it does take a lot of talent to design a rocket that makes me want to buy it after being exposed to the classic Estes and Centuri exotic kits for all these years. Most of the scratch kits I see on "other forums" are not that interesting to me.

That's where you have to go with your imagination and capture the excitement...don't6 be afraid to take risks and try something completely out of the box :)

tbzep 11-14-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:
That's where you have to go with your imagination and capture the excitement...don't6 be afraid to take risks and try something completely out of the box :)

Most of the scratch designs I see are fairly normal, but even the more exoticly constructed rockets usually don't jump out at me because they often have gaudy paint schemes and no decals. A good base coat with one or two small accent colors and a creative set of decals really make a difference, even on 3FNC rockets. That's where the talent comes in. :cool:

raohara 11-14-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
[Spoiler]
http://www.payloadbay.com/article-shrox.html
[/Spoiler]

-- Roger

Thanks, Roger. Without your reference, and based on earlier posts, I thought shrox was either an expert at priming and painting rockets (A Dark Art) or the designer of the Estes Star Wars Episode I kits.

- Rich

dyaugo 11-14-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Most of the scratch designs I see are fairly normal, but even the more exoticly constructed rockets usually don't jump out at me because they often have gaudy paint schemes and no decals. A good base coat with one or two small accent colors and a creative set of decals really make a difference, even on 3FNC rockets. That's where the talent comes in. :cool:

You are 100% spot on with the color selection...I think people get carried away with the painting and get too elaborate. I like my paint jobs to blend and tie with not just the color, but the actual graphics themselves.

dlazarus6660 11-14-2011 06:18 PM

Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox
If I can get my shatner together, I'd like to get back into rocketry.

Nope...Too late, that rocket launched! :chuckle:

shrox 11-14-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take much to design rockets...there's a lot of builders out there that put together some nice "ORIGINAL" scratch builds in other forums.

With a lot of the software out there today you are only limited to your imagination. There's nothing more rewarding than designing, building and flying your own rocket you built from scratch. The thing that is so cool you don't end up spending a small fortune on a kit.

Most of the designers out there do some variation of existing kits and they slap their name on it and say its theirs..what a joke.

Most of the kits out there today are way over priced anyway. I would never shell out $50 for balsa and cardboard..if the kit used plywood parts such as rings and fins or fiberglass...then yeah it would be worth it!

Just my two cents :D

OK friend.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...highlight=shrox

dyaugo 11-14-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox

OK what?? LOL I have seen your designs before and ... ??

Vanel 11-14-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

What's your point? Am I suppose to be impressed and bow at the knees? LOL

I'm sorry but your kits all look the same...

Shrox's designs are almost universally liked. Bashing those and the designs of other vendors is hardly going to endear you to your future customer base, especially when you imply that most of us are sheep who blindly buy the "same old thing" over and over. When all is said and done, your success as a vendor will be determined by how we, the customers, feel about your stuff. If we don't like them, you will sell nada and go nowhere.

I look forward to seeing your kits... In the meantime, a little diplomacy may be in order. You can toot your horn without deriding the sound of others, ya know.

shrox 11-14-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Don't edit, it's too late...