Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ukraine: What To Do? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=13606)

Earl 03-02-2014 10:16 AM

Ukraine: What To Do?

Looks like a potential powder keg......wonder what Obama/Kerry will do?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/02/world....html?hpt=hp_t1

Earl

dlazarus6660 03-02-2014 10:21 AM

Do nothing and let them get into it!

Earl 03-02-2014 10:26 AM

I'm just afraid it has the makings of a much broader conflict.....

ghrocketman 03-02-2014 11:12 AM

How about not a dammed thing ?
I'm sick and tired of us playing world police without charging for every red cent of it by confiscating natural resources at a minimum.
In the future, I favor that anytime you piss us off bad enough to require US Military intervention, we are going to come in and CONQUER and SUBJUGATE, just like prior to existence of the post WWII POS UN.
If more countries got the clue that is how we operate, there would be a hell of a lot less nonsense. NOTHING would be off the table including the use of Nukes. Citizens of conquered countriex would toe-the-line or would receive a 59 cent 5.56 bullet. The gloves should be off. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

astronwolf 03-02-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I'm just afraid it has the makings of a much broader conflict.....

Yup. When I heard that Russia had massed troops on the border, and Kerry assuring us that Russia is just conducting a military exercise, I told my family - watch. Russia is going to grab Crimea, and those troops on maneuvers are going to roll into eastern Ukraine. No surprise there. The Crimean Peninsula was just annexed by Russia.

I think this Administration has soiled its drawers, and doesn't know what to do. All the western countries are looking to each other while wringing their hands waiting for a leader to step forward. Our ambassador Samantha Powers demanded that "the Russian Military must stand down." Sure. It will stand down just as soon as the troops stabilize the region and establish the new status quo. The West will do nothing. To do anything will be to invite WWIII, and everyone knows it. Look at NATO troop deployments in the region. No one is set up for this.

Earl 03-02-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Yup. When I heard that Russia had massed troops on the border, and Kerry assuring us that Russia is just conducting a military exercise, I told my family - watch. Russia is going to grab Crimea, and those troops on maneuvers are going to roll into eastern Ukraine. No surprise there. The Crimean Peninsula was just annexed by Russia.

I think this Administration has soiled its drawers, and doesn't know what to do. All the western countries are looking to each other while wringing their hands waiting for a leader to step forward. Our ambassador Samantha Powers demanded that "the Russian Military must stand down." Sure. It will stand down just as soon as the troops stabilize the region and establish the new status quo. The West will do nothing. To do anything will be to invite WWIII, and everyone knows it. Look at NATO troop deployments in the region. No one is set up for this.

Yeah, I think that pretty well sums it up. I'm not saying personally we should do anything just yet, was just raising the 'concern' that this thing could really escalate in all kinds of undesirable directions the way it is going.

I do agree with GH in this case that I too am kind of tired of this country being (or trying to be) the world's policeman.

Earl

moonzero2 03-02-2014 02:35 PM

We need to leave Russia and Ukraine alone. USA getting involved in Ukraine would be like Russia getting involved with Canada.

shrox 03-02-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
...I think this Administration has soiled its drawers...

I would too.

This is bad, and it is an invitation to WWIII, plus random other factions taking advantage of the chaos, both foreign and domestic.

If something does go down, our "hobby" will too.

stefanj 03-02-2014 03:09 PM

You have to give the Russians credit: The country that posed no threat to them that they decided to invade is right next door! They can save a lot of money that way!

Meanwhile, Poland is gathering troops at Ukraine's borders.

jharding58 03-02-2014 03:52 PM

Russia wants Crimea back so they will take it. The populace is ethnic Russian so Putin uses the same threat he saw in Georgia/Ossetia. One teacup storm is about it.