Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Types of Scale Models you like. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=8072)

JumpJet 11-13-2010 11:29 AM

Types of Scale Models you like.

I was wondering what types of scale models you like to build or would like to see come out. Please choose the one you would like to see most. Please choose up to two selections only. I don't want you to choose all of them just because you like ALL scale models. Hopefully the choices are self explanatory. Movie models would be Star Wars, Thunder Birds are Go, Star Trek etc.

John Boren
Estes R&D

stantonjtroy 11-13-2010 11:52 AM

You should have had a selection "for all of the above." :D

sandman 11-13-2010 12:29 PM

The Launch Pad has most of the military models covered and I really don't believe those would be that popular in the mass market.

Personally space models would be preferred but unfortunately there aren't many of those left and the old ones may be too far in the past for the younglings to even remember.

Although the V-2 (2.6" size) and the Mercury Redstone should ALWAYS be a part of Estes line. Never just on a limited basis. Just look at what the V-2 and Mercury Redstone models sell for in Ebay

The movie models would be easier for the kids to identify with.

jdbectec 11-13-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
The Launch Pad has most of the military models covered and I really don't believe those would be that popular in the mass market.

Personally space models would be preferred but unfortunately there aren't many of those left and the old ones may be too far in the past for the younglings to even remember.

Although the V-2 (2.6" size) and the Mercury Redstone should ALWAYS be a part of Estes line. Never just on a limited basis. Just look at what the V-2 and Mercury Redstone models sell for in Ebay

The movie models would be easier for the kids to identify with.

I agree with you 100% on this,almost everyone loves the V-2 and many people like having several in differant scales.

Randy 11-13-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I was wondering what types of scale models you like to build or would like to see come out. Please choose the one you would like to see most. Please choose up to two selections only. I don't want you to choose all of them just because you like ALL scale models. Hopefully the choices are self explanatory. Movie models would be Star Wars, Thunder Birds are Go, Star Trek etc.

John Boren
Estes R&D

Hi John,

Thanks for asking and taking some of your time here on YORF! Since we had to vote for just 2, I voted for U.S. spaceships and movie models.

Personally I 'd like to see Estes make all of the NASA rockets Estes ever produced part of the standard inventory (read as permanent in the line up) and if that's not possible for whatever reason, at least continue with the regular re-issue of those kits on a more frequent basis. Every 10 years is a long stretch. How about 5 years? I'm pretty sure other kits like the Saturn 1B, Columbia Shuttle, Titan, Mercury, etc. would all do well, particularly with us old timers.

As for movie ships, there are many I'd love to see but I'd start with the original BSG Viper and possibly the newer BSG Viper from the remake. The Eagle from Space 1999 and my all time personal favorite, Fireball XLV. There are others but I'm not sure which ones could actually be decent flyers without a lot of R&D. The Star Wars stuff was marginal at best, those I've mentioned are proven flyers.

Again John, thanks for asking! I hope you will become a permanent part of YORF!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

snuggles 11-13-2010 01:44 PM

Scale models

My vote would be for the 1/100 Saturn 1b and the Original Estes Mercuy Redstone with the old school balsa nose cone,I have an original kit I would gladly donate for part dimensions.
My 2 cents......
Mark T

jeffyjeep 11-13-2010 03:33 PM

Nike Ajax and Maxi-Brute Pershing.

chrism 11-13-2010 04:25 PM

Thanks John for the interest in this area. I would like to see the fantasy models make a come back like the Andromeda, Solar Sailer, USS Atlantis, and the Colonial Viper. But as one person said "all the above."

JumpJet 11-13-2010 04:26 PM

Randy,

Thanks for you kind words.

I've been posting here for many years and have been pretty active this last year with my Nike Hercules and Russian GOA missile builds to name just two. I tend to like things that haven't been done before or at least not very often. I am trying to design models that are a little different and that will hopefully have a wide range of appeal. I Hope the selection of models shown at the iHobby show gives you a feeling what I am all about.

Next year if all goes well you will see a couple new scale models come out in addition to the mini engine powered Honest John.

Although I like the good old models of years gone by you will see more and more brand new stuff coming out since in twenty years I am hopeful some of them will be the new classics for the now younger generation.

John Boren
Estes R&D

PaulK 11-13-2010 07:37 PM

Oops, voted before I read the post; I *might* have picked more than two :o

While I certainly like seeing re-releases, I agree scale models that haven't been done a lot, or done in a long time, would be great. While I like the US manned stuff as much as anyone, things like the R7, Proton, or Pegasus would be great. For sci-fi stuff, I like the ones from the *old* movies, just take a walk through the Spaceship Handbook. No need to do stuff like Star Wars or Star Trek. As far as re-releases, the top one for me would be the 2 motor Gemini-Titan.

The 2 categories I'd probably vote for is "Foreign Spaceship" and "US Spaceship", with a preference to launch vehicles. And please use clear plastic stabilizing fins.

Thanks for asking, John!