Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Death of an SSV Scorpion (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1470)

rosko_racer 03-08-2012 09:41 PM

Resurection...

Bill: I am building a clone of the SSV Scorpion. do you still have this one? Can you take close up pictures of the connector and post them? This is one part I am trying to recreate but I cannot find any good pictures of the plastic connector except for the one on JIMZ site. Looking to clearly see how the connector/coupler looks and how the raised details are. Thanks.

- RPR

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-08-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko_racer
Bill: I am building a clone of the SSV Scorpion. do you still have this one? Can you take close up pictures of the connector and post them? This is one part I am trying to recreate but I cannot find any good pictures of the plastic connector except for the one on JIMZ site. Looking to clearly see how the connector/coupler looks and how the raised details are. Thanks.

- RPR

Sure, I'll look in the morning.
Did you know that Moldin' Oldies makes this piece in resin? :cool: I plan to pick one up when the urge to clone an SSV Scorpion hits me. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-10-2012 01:58 PM

Connector pics

left side

right side

bottom

rosko_racer 03-11-2012 07:00 AM

Thanks Bill!

Seems like I can replicate that conector with a piece of ST-13, some string to simulate the thin edge, cardstock to simulate the hatches, and small pieces of rounded ends of a dowel. Challenging but cheaper that forking $14 for the connector and the NC at MoldinOldies. I already have the NC. The scan on the instructions from JIMZ show them but I could not figure out if the edge was thick (to the end of the conector) or thin.

Did you know that there is no build thread on the SSV Scorpion? I did the fins with 1/16 basswood and laminated them with 110 cardstock. Probably overdone but only had 4" wide sheet of basswood so I had to make the fins from two pieces. Maybe I should start a thread...

Looks like these were from your UFO Invader? That is next on my list.

- RPR

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-11-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko_racer
Thanks Bill!

Seems like I can replicate that conector with a piece of ST-13, some string to simulate the thin edge, cardstock to simulate the hatches, and small pieces of rounded ends of a dowel. Challenging but cheaper that forking $14 for the connector and the NC at MoldinOldies. I already have the NC. The scan on the instructions from JIMZ show them but I could not figure out if the edge was thick (to the end of the conector) or thin.

Did you know that there is no build thread on the SSV Scorpion? I did the fins with 1/16 basswood and laminated them with 110 cardstock. Probably overdone but only had 4" wide sheet of basswood so I had to make the fins from two pieces. Maybe I should start a thread...

Looks like these were from your UFO Invader? That is next on my list.

- RPR

Larry Zeilmann did a review on each of the Super Kits years ago, but no one has done anything like a build thread. :cool:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/centur...y-zeilmann.html
The UFO Invader needs to be redone. I rushed it when I built it and the metallic paint shows every mistake. I think it will wind up being grey instead of silver when I redo it. :o

Gus 10-30-2016 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Larry Zeilmann did a review on each of the Super Kits years ago, but no one has done anything like a build thread. :o

Trying to finish up some old projects. :)

dlazarus6660 10-30-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Trying to finish up some old projects. :)

Very nice Gus!

Tau Zero 11-05-2016 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
The UFO Invader needs to be redone. I rushed it when I built it and the metallic paint shows every mistake. I think it will wind up being grey instead of silver when I redo it. :o
A few years back I came across the trick of applying a base coat of black paint between the primer and silver coats. The black paint fills in the gaps that silver alone makes stand out like a sore thumb.

You might even want to try *two* coats of black paint before applying the silver.