Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Newbomb's New Builds (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14260)

Newbomb Turk 08-13-2014 07:45 PM

Newbomb's New Builds

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to get my inconsistent camera to briefly work, so I thought I would start a very Vanel-esque thread showing some of the builds I've completed since it stopped working. There will be one distinct difference to this thread as opposed to others of similar type: I plan to use my patented photography technique of only shooting the best view of the rocket, thereby hiding abundant flaws.

I'll start with a Defender clone, kitbashed from a CC Express, with a baffle from Semroc and decals from Excelsior. It's flown several times at club launches with great success.

Newbomb Turk 08-13-2014 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next, my Scorpion clone, kitbashed from a couple of Hobby Lobby Sky Writers, with Semroc tubes and decals from Sandman. It hasn't flown yet, but the first club launch of the season is this Saturday.

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-13-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Next, my Scorpion clone, kitbashed from a couple of Hobby Lobby Sky Writers, with Semroc tubes and decals from Sandman. It hasn't flown yet, but the first club launch of the season is this Saturday.

:cool: I've got one of those Sky Writers left, and the fin can from the one I CATOed last year. Sounds like just the project I need. Looks like a Mongoose could also be used as a donor.

Newbomb Turk 08-14-2014 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one was a kit I got off ebay late last year. The Apache 2 is a great flier. It really scoots on a C booster.

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-14-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:
This one was a kit I got off ebay late last year. The Apachee 2 is a great flier. It really scoots on a C booster.

I cloned the Tiger Streak last year, which I believe is the same rocket from the Centuri stable. I flew it last year at NARAM on a windy day. Thought I grabbed a A8-0, but grabbed a B6-0 with the B6-6 sustainer. :eek: Oopsie. The rocket windcocked fairly heavily, but then began riding the wind across the road. Flew over a house, a tree, a deck and a pool, but landed safely. I thought it had the woods easily, but the house apparently blocked the wind once it dropped below the level of the roof.

Newbomb Turk 08-15-2014 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next, from a Crossfire kit, a clone of the Black Brandt III. Personally, though, I call it the Jeffy Jeep Special, because he was kind enough to provide me with his fin pattern. Also, this is the first time I used floor polish in finishing, a technique I picked up from his threads.

AstronMike 08-15-2014 09:12 PM

Nice Defender There

Quote:
I was able to get my inconsistent camera to briefly work, so I thought I would start a very Vanel-esque thread showing some of the builds I've completed since it stopped working. There will be one distinct difference to this thread as opposed to others of similar type: I plan to use my patented photography technique of only shooting the best view of the rocket, thereby hiding abundant flaws.

I'll start with a Defender clone, kitbashed from a CC Express, with a baffle from Semroc and decals from Excelsior. It's flown several times at club launches with great success.

I had this rocket when it first came out, but mainly flew it on the FSI E5s. Flew great on those, if a bit slow going up, but looked more 'missily' doing so.

Also recall having that main USAF decal dork up as I laid it too. Blah.

Newbomb Turk 08-26-2014 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Straying a little from the theme, this is the mid-80's vintage Estes Ranger. D-power, I flew it several times back then using a streamer. However, with access to a club field, I think I'll use a 15 inch chute now.

Newbomb Turk 09-18-2014 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everybody likes twins. This is the classic Sprint, cloned with Semroc parts and great decals from Sandman, and the current Sprint XL. Haven't flown the clone yet, but the SL has made several terrific flights. At the first club launch of the Fall it became the first rocket I've ever flown with an E engine. That was impressive.

foamy 09-24-2014 11:28 AM

A nice old-timey and classic design. I've always liked the elliptical shape of the fins with the boat-tail. A good looking pair.

Newbomb Turk 09-24-2014 04:19 PM

Thanks much, Foamy. I can't say enough about Excelsior's decals. They really finish the clone nicely.
In fact, having lost the above Defender at my first Fall club launch, I immediately cloned another. Just received Sandman's decals for that and they are terrific as well.

Newbomb Turk 03-27-2015 05:24 PM

After beating the heck out of my last Semroc Goblin, I just completed a clone body to go with the existing nose cone. First launch last Saturday, extra long shock cord, resulted in a strike on and crumpling of the top of the body tube. Still flyable, so I have that going for me.
With this clone completed, I have a couple of questions about my next two builds. (Is it bad to be building two at a time? My fleet is making inroads on most of the floor space around here.) 1) A 1:1.54 Goblin upscale, using a perfect ST-20 tube and beautiful upscale nose cone from Sandman. I'd like to make this a two D engine cluster. Does anyone know where I could order such an engine mount for an ST-20 tube? 2) A standard Wolverine clone, again props to Gordon for the quality nose cone. Does anyone know off the top of their head the thickness of the original Wolverine's balsa?
As usual, thanks for the help!

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-27-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:
After beating the heck out of my last Semroc Goblin, I just completed a clone body to go with the existing nose cone. First launch last Saturday, extra long shock cord, resulted in a strike on and crumpling of the top of the body tube. Still flyable, so I have that going for me.
With this clone completed, I have a couple of questions about my next two builds. (Is it bad to be building two at a time? My fleet is making inroads on most of the floor space around here.) 1) A 1:1.54 Goblin upscale, using a perfect ST-20 tube and beautiful upscale nose cone from Sandman. I'd like to make this a two D engine cluster. Does anyone know where I could order such an engine mount for an ST-20 tube? 2) A standard Wolverine clone, again props to Gordon for the quality nose cone. Does anyone know off the top of their head the thickness of the original Wolverine's balsa?
As usual, thanks for the help!

Sucks for the Goblin. I did the same thing you did, made a new body to go with the old nose cone. It was yellow, then orange, then yellow again. Still doesn't have the decal.
Geez, I wish I only built two at a time. :o
I thought the Wolverine balsa was 3/32". I've never gotten one to fly without a wiggle. Something about that fin setup.

ghrocketman 03-27-2015 07:29 PM

VERY Nice Defender clone.
I need to build one of those along with a Skybolt.

jeffyjeep 03-28-2015 08:19 AM

Quote:
Next, from a Crossfire kit, a clone of the Black Brandt III. Personally, though, I call it the Jeffy Jeep Special, because he was kind enough to provide me with his fin pattern. Also, this is the first time I used floor polish in finishing, a technique I picked up from his threads.

"Photo NOT by Jeffy Jeep". Now THAT's funny!

Great builds! The Defender has been one of my favorite sport flyers ever since the kit was introduced. I've built a few of them, but I never thought about bashing a CC express kit. I've always done them completely from scratch since the parts are all quite common. What kind of blue did you use?

As for the BBIII, I was dancing in the streets when the Crossfire kit came out--making the BBIII PNC and nozzle obtainable.

Kimble29 04-01-2015 01:21 PM

Those are some great looking rockets! The cd was a great bonus chuckle!

Newbomb Turk 06-06-2015 05:17 PM

Thanks, all.

Fish: No worries. I'll just re-re-clone the body. Still need to buy a new one from Semroc.

GH: I don't really remember the Skybolt from back in the day, but checking the catalog it looks pretty cool. Bet it's a good flyer, too.

Jeff and Kimble: Glad you enjoyed the cd. I was tempted to post a blurb along with that one. "Has been outside, has flown more times than I can count and has been handled more than a college cheerleader." Discretion, discretion.

I believe the blue was Testor's rattle can flat blue, plus dull coat.

Newbomb Turk 08-15-2017 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Astron Avenger clone. Semroc parts, Sandman decal.
Hasn't flown yet, but soon.

Newbomb Turk 08-15-2017 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BMS Cobra clone. I've always liked this design, but never built it as a cluster until now. It's flown three times at da club, each on C6-7s, using a 12 inch chute. Flies great.

Newbomb Turk 08-15-2017 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Renegade clone, Sandman decals. I love this one on an E9-6.

Newbomb Turk 05-16-2018 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Honest John, 80's flavor, vintage plastic nose cone with a clone body. Had to replace the body after the old shock broke and it tumbled into knee high grass. The camouflage works. :rolleyes:

Newbomb Turk 05-16-2018 06:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The remnants of a poorly half-built Freedom 7 Mercury Redstone from my Mom's house. I've learned quite a lot from you guys. The glamour shot shows it finished, although without the black ring above the fins. D'oh.

It's flown 15 times. Love it.

Newbomb Turk 05-16-2018 06:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I do love my staging. The Comanche 3 is actually my third. My leftover from the 80's flew a few times, then burn out the 2nd stage and lost the nose cone from another vintage cord snap. My second failed to stage on its first or second flight. Now this one, still going strong. Ten flights cumulatively.

Newbomb Turk 05-16-2018 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another survivor from back in the day. It's flown four times, not counting however many times in the 80s. I definitely like this finish v. the current.

Blastfromthepast 05-17-2018 03:21 PM

Nice additions to your fleet !

A Fish Named Wallyum 05-17-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:
Another survivor from back in the day. It's flown four times, not counting however many times in the 80s. I definitely like this finish v. the current.

:cool: This was on my short list of decals that I wanted from Gordon. The Goodrocks guy was selling some on eBay, but they looked like they were a bit chewed up for the money, and the other decals in the lot were nothing special. As it stands, I'm still holding out hope and have not painted my Yankee yet.

Newbomb Turk 05-21-2018 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Astron Farside-X clone. Built with Semroc parts, but before they started kitting it.

Newbomb Turk 05-21-2018 12:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Astron Scrambler clone, using Sandman's excellent payload section and decals. The second picture shows the wear and tear gained from three flights using a cluster of C's.

Newbomb Turk 05-21-2018 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Semroc Ranger. Like the Farside-X above, it is unflown as yet, being too powerful for the NTMLF.

I chose not to use the included "RANGER" decal. Now, on my next scratch build, I can cut the first "R" off of it and name the build the "ANGER".

Newbomb Turk 05-26-2018 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks, guys!

Estes Trajector with Accur8 skins. As a NASA fanboy, I love this set of skins.

Also, having not used the laser weapons on the build, I can add them to the Anger. :D

Newbomb Turk 05-28-2018 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Semroc Der V-1.5. Fun build, metallic silver over grey primer / white primer. Decals went on fine. Two coats of floor polish.

mwtoelle 05-28-2018 03:35 PM

The Der V-1.5 really gets up there with a B motor.

Newbomb Turk 05-28-2018 05:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I suspected a B might be a bit much for the NTMLF.

Newbomb Turk 06-26-2018 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cover your eyes. The Sizzler, #1906, clone, nekkid.
Anybody have an extra decal set? I noticed Goodrocks has some up on ebay. Anyone ever bought his?

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-26-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:
Anybody have an extra decal set? I noticed Goodrocks has some up on ebay. Anyone ever bought his?

Got an inkjet printer? Get yourself some BelDecal paper and print a set off yourself. It's so easy even I can do it.

LeeR 06-27-2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

I thought I did. What I have is a set of Mega-Sizz decals. Sorry!

Newbomb Turk 06-27-2018 08:11 PM

Thanks a lot for checking, Lee. I really appreciate it.

Bill, I gladly accept your advice and ordered the decal paper today. I'm going to do what OJ said when a reporter asked if he'd consider getting married again.

Newbomb Turk 07-20-2018 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here, with much gratitude to Don Eichelberger for his advice and encouragement, a fully-clothed Sizzler clone.
Took a little practice and I think I'll do better with my next set of decals, but it should look good on the away pad. :rolleyes:

Newbomb Turk 07-20-2018 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just completed the Semroc Mini-Centurian. Really like how it turned out.

tbzep 07-20-2018 03:23 PM

Nice and shiny!