Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   3D Printing Asylum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Review: 3D Printed Mini Cineroc 808 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17909)

rosko_racer 05-19-2019 03:15 PM

Review: 3D Printed Mini Cineroc 808

10 Attachment(s)
Friends of mine have access to a 3D Printed and they made a Mini Cineroc 808 case/nose cone (whatever it is called...) and also gave me the HD 808 Keychain Spy camera that goes with it... The 3D files for the camera casing can be found at Thingiverse, www.thingiverse.com/thing:3155424... The designer also created a full size version of the casing that can also be found in Thingiverse. He has created a "Cineroc Tribute" in Facebook. I had to disassemble the keychain camera and carefully mount it on the sled. Everything worked out fine and it takes great videos. Check the pictures for more details on the camera sled and the casing... (Sorry but I did not take a picture of all the parts of the casing before assembly).

After assembly I used trim monokote to decorate the casing. To secure the NC and the camera
hood I used three small screws. I do not know if it was the 3D process but had to enlarge the casing hole to see the on light better. Also had to add a BT-50 coupler to the NC shoulder as it did not fit the BT-50 I used on my custom built booster.

Overall the camera was a good fit for the Cineroc sled and casing. No other issues.

rosko_racer 05-19-2019 03:32 PM

Custom Built Booster for the Mini Cineroc 808

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to build my own booster for the camera. One of my friends suggested I build it with canted motors for a more stable, less spinning take off... I have never done a video rocket and never build a rocket with canted motors... both new territory for me. I could not find a commercially available double 18mm canted motor mount so I had to customize one. (I plan to do a separate build thread for the booster later.) The steely eyed will immediately recognize the fin profile as they are a take from the OPTIMA. BT-60 (double walled) to BT-50. I have named it the "Wind Rider" booster because it flew well even under windy contidions. I used trim monokote for the yellow, orange, and red stripes.

Had a chance to fly it with two B6-4s during my vacation in Lajas, Puerto Rico. It was very windy (15-18mph wind gusts) that day. The video from the 808 camera was great going up. Unfortunately due to the high winds the camera spinned a lot during descent... I uploaded an edited version of the video in Youtube .

After the flight the booster is now on display at my daughter's room in P.R. I brought the Cineroc 808 back with me and have started to work on a "Wind Rider" version 2 to fly on Father's Day...

I am very happy with the Cineroc video and had fun building the booster. Enjoy the pictures!

- R_R

erik442 05-19-2019 04:21 PM

That's a super nice model. Great job!

ghrocketman 05-19-2019 08:45 PM

If you have canted motors it WILL spin...exactly what you don't want unless you want video with a lot of "roll".
The flight will be more stable on the vertical axis, but the video will be LOUSY.
Use a "four fin" booster and take all effort to align the fins straight.
I would use very stiff/dense wood of larger than normal thickness.

tbzep 05-20-2019 07:22 AM

They are canted to the CG, like the Fliskits Deuce's Wild and Tres.