Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Work station (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15679)

soopirV 02-09-2017 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopirV
A clean shop is the sign of a sick mind...I'm sure that's a psychological truth. Simply amazing, John- if my wife ever sees those photos though, I'm done for!

As proof, I submit a quick snap I just took of my "shop"...it's in mortal disarray...I really need to fix this. Maybe this weekend!

I'm lucky to have a single car semi-detached garage- doesn't share any walls with the main house, but is at 90' angle to main 2-car garage, so still easily accessible. It's a true mancave in which I brew and ferment beer, do some rudimentary electronics hobby work (mostly in support of rocketry) and of course, rocketry.

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-09-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopirV
As proof, I submit a quick snap I just took of my "shop"...it's in mortal disarray...I really need to fix this. Maybe this weekend!

I'm lucky to have a single car semi-detached garage- doesn't share any walls with the main house, but is at 90' angle to main 2-car garage, so still easily accessible. It's a true mancave in which I brew and ferment beer, do some rudimentary electronics hobby work (mostly in support of rocketry) and of course, rocketry.

I like the rocket racks on the wall. I need to get busy on something like that. :cool:

jeffyjeep 02-09-2017 09:55 PM

Yeah! Those rocket racks are definitely a great use of wall space!

soopirV 02-09-2017 09:56 PM

Thanks! The feature I enjoy most isn't visible- the verticals are 1x4 with holes for dowels bored every 6" or so. The 1x4s have saw-toothed picture hanging brackets screwed in at the top, which hang on #6 wood screws spaced every 2" on a 1x2 furring strip mounted securely to the wall. The bottom of the 1x4s have a little chunk of furring strip to act as a spacer, and the screws along the top allow me to remove and reposition the verticals very easily. I'm not sure if I came up with this or if I saw it somewhere else, but it holds everything from my super vega to a lazer in easy-to-access space.

If only the rest of my shop was that organized...

Tango Juliet 02-12-2017 11:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I need to make some racks like that too. For now, most of my rockets are in a corner of the living room floor on a PVC stand/rack that I cobbled together.

When I bought my home a year and a half ago, I converted one small spare room upstairs into my hobby room. I also build and fly R/C airplanes and it was designed with that in mind. The main bench is approx. 42" off the floor, mounted to the wall, which puts it at the perfect working height for me when standing (I'm 5'- 8"). It's built in an "L", and I used the short side for cutting wood and mixing epoxy, the long side (9' wall to end) is for wings/fuselages/etc. It's also covered with 1/16" steel sheet for using magnetic building fixtures. I pulled up the carpeting and left the bare sub-floor, but painted it with a white primer as well as the walls, that way I had no worries about glue/paint drips. I also installed T8 light fixtures in kind of a square pattern around the ceiling. Those along with the white paint makes it very bright/sterile and I have very little shadow when I'm working. My only real problem is that it's a bit small, and due to the design of the house, it's pretty warm upstairs. The A/C has a hard time with that room in particular with the south facing dormer and a window on the western wall. I've got window film on both windows, but it doesn't help much. I might have to put in a window A/C unit this summer.