Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Estes Forum? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3379)

scigs30 05-28-2008 06:51 PM

New Estes Forum?

Here is a email I revieved from Estes.

Hi David…thanks for your email regarding the Tomcat kit. I actually built 2 of them back some time ago. I gave the first one away and flew the second one, which was a lot of fun to trim for a good glide.

David, what I wanted to tell you is that we are working on redesigning our website. In addition to making changes to the way it looks and the information provided, we are considering adding a forum or image section as you suggested. It will take us a while to complete this revision, but when the new site goes up in July you will see a big change and then hopefully later in the summer we will be able to have a place were you guys that want to post images can and also we hope to have a forum of sorts for you to write about your rocket experiences. The image section will be easier than the forum part, but we are working on it and I am very pleased to know that you will be one of the first to use it.

Thanks and best regards,

Mike Fritz

Estes Rocket Marketing

David,

Thank you for your interest in Estes Model Rockets, I will forward your request on to the Marketing Team.

Keep 'em Flying,

Christine

K.M.Knox 05-28-2008 08:25 PM

Boy does that sound promising! There is no question there website needs some serious work, they have not updated the information on the rocket side in sometime. They still think the Mean Machine release and the Pop Fly are the latest and greatest.

It makes so much sense having a place for us to upload images of our builds. It shows support and gives newcomers glimpses into the possibilites. And a forum? I like how he words it like the forum is a hard thing to set up... Hmmmm. It is also worded in a way that made me think it won't be a true open discussion forum. We'll see.

Rocket Doctor 05-28-2008 08:56 PM

I don't think that the origianl forum will return. It sounds to me that they are looking for new designs.

As stated, "you can upload images" and "your rocketry experiences".

After all of the flack over the former forum, I'm certain it won't be set up to receive FEEDBACK. And, if it does, I will be surprised.

I think they should get the 2008 catalog out before getting too deep into other projects.

Domminigan 05-28-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Here is a email I revieved from Estes.

when the new site goes up in July

So we can expect it some time in mid January?

Shreadvector 05-29-2008 07:53 AM

If a company is worried about having to moderate a forum in real-time, one option to *not* have messages appear right away. Visitors from outside the compnay can submit posts and soemone from inside the company can review them and allow them to be posted or not - based upon whatever guidelines they choose.

Domminigan 05-29-2008 10:03 AM

I've been a member over at the StreetGlow web site's forum for years. The people whom are interested in making a car glow have always tended to be in the younger crowd, especially after the first two of a series of movies were released. This generally caused some problems with what was considered acceptable decorum on the site, especially given the fact that many of the people who enjoy glow don't mind breaking the law*. StreetGlow resolved the problems by creating multiple moderator positions. Because of the numerous moderators on the site, the board is almost constantly monitored, and real problems that may be detrimental to the image of the company are almost always quickly removed. It was a simple, cheap (read: free), and practical solution to a problem that seems to plague most forums at some time or other.
Although I was not on or aware of the preceding forum operated briefly by Estes, I gather that some of the issues they had were that they were alienating some of the more hard-core rocketeers, and the fallout from such actions. I am curious, however as to exactly what else had been going on to cause them to shut it down.

Rocket Doctor 05-29-2008 10:35 AM

Too much FEEDBACK.........

If you don't get 100% positive feedback, and, you get constructive criticism, then what do you do.........Shut It Down!!!!

The whole purpose of the estes forum was to exchange information, and, many "promises" were made to make changes. After only three months, and many promises, it became too much for them.

Here we are a year later, and, those changes have yet to be made.

And, this is my opinion, from my experience with it and I'm not going to get into a big discussion over it PERIOD !!!

JRThro 05-29-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
The whole purpose of the estes forum was to exchange information, and, many "promises" were made to make changes. After only three months, and many promises, it became too much for them.

Were promises made, or did they say they'd look into some of the requested changes?

Rocket Doctor 05-29-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Were promises made, or did they say they'd look into some of the requested changes?

It wasn't "were going to look into it" it was what they were actually going to do, such as making the shock cord lengths longer. There are many items to be changed. I really don't want to get into this topic again, it has been discussed over and over again in other threads. Right now, I want to concentrate on NARAM 50 and some special items that I will reveal there.

Aflter NARAM, I will post pictures.

RD

MKP 05-29-2008 04:27 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. I agree with Shreadvector, I'm sure it would be heavily moderated. I enjoyed the Estes Forum while it lasted and the current website is basically dead, something has to happen. So I am, very cautiously, hopeful.