Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rock-A-Chute Motors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6048)

Gus 10-22-2009 05:02 PM

Rock-A-Chute Motors

2 Attachment(s)
Intact box of Rock-A-Chute motors with all the original contents.

Anyone have an idea of what year these might have been?

shrox 10-22-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

1958?

shockwaveriderz 10-22-2009 05:32 PM

Welll at least Jan 1959, which is when Estes started manufacturing the Rock-A-Chutes for MMI.

EDIT
There an MMi ad iin 12/59 issue of American Modeler mag where they advertise 3 standard A4 motors for $0.98....

For this ad to appear in the 12/59 issue, it had to be available perhaps as much as 3-4 months earlier than the publication date

The last MMi ad where they are 3 for $1.50 appears in the 4/59 issue of AM, so that dates them to after 4/59 and before approx 10/59

These were most likely made in Vern's backyard in Denver Co. by Estes Enterprises

Terry Dean

BEC 10-22-2009 05:33 PM

The printing on those looks just like that on my late 1960s vintage Estes engines....so perhaps these are from the original Vern Estes-build engine making machine (AKA "Mabel")?

Ltvscout 10-22-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

Who'd you steal those from? :D

Bazookadale 10-22-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
The printing on those looks just like that on my late 1960s vintage Estes engines....so perhaps these are from the original Vern Estes-build engine making machine (AKA "Mabel")?

I have both an original Brown Rock-a-chute and an early Estes Rock-a-chute - those motors are clearly Estes

Willing to sell them? :chuckle:

Gus 10-22-2009 08:20 PM

Terry,

Thanks for the help. I figured probably pre-1960. I've never seen a picture of this style box. The only box I had seen previously was the yellow one. I'm amazed that the original motors came in three packs and included instructions, igniters, and parachute protectors, just like today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Who'd you steal those from? :D

Scott,

Right place, right time. ;)n One in a million pure dumb luck.

snaquin 10-22-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

What a find and in great condition too!

Mark II 10-22-2009 08:24 PM

"...with parachute wrappers..."

A K A recovery wadding. I kind of like MMI's terminology - on one level, "parachute wrappers" is a very specific, functional way of describing wadding (if you already know what it is). On another level, it is strikingly vague and euphemistic. (Huh? Parachute wrappers? Why would you need wrapping paper for the parachute?)

MarkII

shrox 10-22-2009 08:35 PM

We have an unfolded box in the display case, model rockets were referred to as model missiles then.