Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rocket Section at Hobby Lobby Getting Bare? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17380)

chrism 07-09-2018 09:02 PM

Rocket Section at Hobby Lobby Getting Bare?

I have been to several HL locations in the Twin Cities, and I have noticed the rocketry section is becoming bare in all the locations I was at. I did pick up a Estes Quinstar for $4.99! Has anyone else notice this at a HL near you?

turbofireball 07-09-2018 09:25 PM

Most Hobby Lobbys had a sale on at least 6 different rockets and a couple of starter sets for the last few weeks. This caused mass hoarding of highly discounted kits. I can only assume other rocketry stuff sold in higher than usual quantities also. This happens this time every year as Hobby Lobby gets ready for new inventory for the fall (and possibly the holiday season). I hope you stocked up! I did!

Newbomb Turk 12-31-2018 01:13 PM

Out doing some NYE running around and decided to stop by the Lobby.

For the first time in quite a while, they had a new addition: the anniversary Alpha VI!

Two were on the rack. One remains. For now. :)

77fair 12-31-2018 02:18 PM

Three weeks ago our local HL ran a 20% off sale on rocket kits, and engines. Once the word gets out, the shelves do get thinned out.

BEC 12-31-2018 03:30 PM

They were getting bare last July when the first post was made. Since then they’ve made the section smaller but at least at my local store what they are carrying is well stocked though I didn’t notice whether there were Alpha VIs in stock when I was in the other day. I brought home a pack of E16-6s instead.

TNmike 12-31-2018 09:14 PM

I noticed earlier this year it seemed they were thinning the herd. Was making me wonder if they were going to do that permanently. They still carry a lot of RTF's, but the kits they carry for the most part aren't that interesting. Hopefully they will bring in some new blood in 2019. At least you can get a fair selection of motors. Just hope they don't continue to cut back.

LeeR 12-31-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
They were getting bare last July when the first post was made. Since then they’ve made the section smaller but at least at my local store what they are carrying is well stocked though I didn’t notice whether there were Alpha VIs in stock when I was in the other day. I brought home a pack of E16-6s instead.

Bernard, I was on the same wavelength as you. Visited a Hobby Lobby yesterday in a nearby town after having lunch with a friend. Nothing really caught my attention much, I picked up a pack of E16-6s.

I’ve visited HLs in four cities in Colorado. All have much smaller spaces and dramatically smaller kit selections. The one thing they all have plenty of is starter sets. I fear this is the new norm.

TNmike 01-01-2019 08:30 AM

"The one thing they all have plenty of is starter sets. I fear this is the new norm."

Bingo

Newbomb Turk 01-01-2019 09:39 AM

Yes, I had those same concerns. That's why I was so pleased to find a relatively new release on the racks.

I've convinced myself that an abundance of Citation Patriots, Black Brant IIIs, Saturns and Little Joes will be available there by days end.

Bob Austin 01-01-2019 09:54 AM

I've seen the same thing here at our local HL, and I wonder how much of this is due to the recent fallout of Hobbico? While the rocketry section is smaller, so are the plastic model selections. More of the 'toys' where kits used to be.