Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Best Christmas ever??? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6633)

dtomko 02-21-2010 10:41 AM

Best Christmas ever???

1 Attachment(s)
1972. OK, who can tell me what's in that unmarked white box in front of the fireplace???

Drew

tbzep 02-21-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
1972. OK, who can tell me what's in that unmarked white box in front of the fireplace???

Drew

Saturn 1B or V?

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-21-2010 12:04 PM

Don't know, but I have two of the Adventure Team Mobile Support Units out in my man cave. :D

dtomko 02-21-2010 02:40 PM

Tim, it's the original Estes 1/70 Saturn 1B. That plus the Adventure Team vehicle was a pretty sweet haul! There were also a couple of plastic models; it looks like a Mayflower and there was an Aurora helicopter. Aurora had their headquarters a few miles from where I grew up.

All I have left of my GI Joes is a foot locker full of single boots and half outfits! I did buy the Mercury capsule (ahem) for my son (ahem) when it was rereleased a few years ago.

I was a little too unskilled for the 1B at that stage in my life (10), so it sat in my room for a few years until I felt confident enough to tackle it. I think I finished it about 3 years later. It was given to me by my uncle Bill, who passed away last November. Bill worked for Grumman in the late 60s and was on the team that developed the guidance system for the LM. How cool was that for a kid then??!!

Drew

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-21-2010 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I actually have 1 3/4. One I had to canibalize to make this one. I still need to find an antenna and the ladder. :rolleyes:

dlazarus6660 02-21-2010 05:58 PM

White box?

Is the white box a yuletide fireplace log? :p
How come it isn't wrapped? :D

Drew,

1972 was my best Christmas as a child/teenager. I was 12 then. Got my first Cox model airplane, The Red Baron. I still have whats left of it! I have a pic of me and it somewhere.
I'm notsure I want to post it...I look like a dork!

Daniel

dtomko 02-21-2010 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, that's a "post" present opening shot!

Bill, does the searchlight work? I love the "Search for the Radioactive Satellite" line on the box :eek:

Here are me and my brother. That toy in front was for my younger cousin.

Yeah, that kid was ready to build a Saturn 1B!

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-21-2010 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
I'm notsure I want to post it...I look like a dork!

Daniel

Yeah, that's a HUGE concern around here. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-21-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
Yeah, that's a "post" present opening shot!

Bill, does the searchlight work? I love the "Search for the Radioactive Satellite" line on the box :eek:

Here are me and my brother. That toy in front was for my younger cousin.

Yeah, that kid was ready to build a Saturn 1B!

No, I still need to fix the wiring and get a bulb.
Which of the two guys is you?

dtomko 02-21-2010 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with Bill.

I'm too self conscious myself to post anything potentially embarrassing on this forum.

Drew