Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   New Estes V2 For 2012 - Kit 3228 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10784)

GregGleason 02-29-2012 12:29 PM

New Estes V2 For 2012 - Kit 3228

1 Attachment(s)
This appears to be the Estes Canadian Arrow Kit, #2188, just with a shorter body tube for the V2.

Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

Also, I'm glad that it's a 2.60" OD airframe.

Greg

stefanj 02-29-2012 01:49 PM

This is a re-release of sorts.

There was a BT-80 based V-2 out about 20 years ago.

The model could also be used to create neat spaceships, ala the Silver Comet. Just use different fins.

Doug Sams 02-29-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
This appears to be the Estes Canadian Arrow Kit, #2188, just with a shorter body tube for the V2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
This is a re-release of sorts.

There was a BT-80 based V-2 out about 20 years ago.

The model could also be used to create neat spaceships, ala the Silver Comet. Just use different fins.
This is funny. When I got back in the hobby in 1999, about that time, they had the BT-80 Silver Comet available. One popular topic at the time was bashing that into the V-2 :) (instead of bashing the V-2 into a Comet :)) Then they (re-)issued the BT-80 V-2. So I ended up with both in my unbuilt stash, but ultimately sold them off thinking I'd never get around to building them.

Now I have a Canadian Arrow I got because it was part of the X-Prize set from Estes. And I wonder if it'll ever get built, too :o

Anyway, I thought this was funny because it, too, is a good kit to bash into a V-2. But why bother now when you can get a V-2 kit, right? ;)

Doug

BoosterDude 02-29-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

Also, I'm glad that it's a 2.60" OD airframe.

Greg

I was wondering if that's the deal with the new V2, I have to assume it is.

PaulK 03-01-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
This is a re-release of sorts....The model could also be used to create neat spaceships, ala the Silver Comet. Just use different fins.
Or could be made into an accurate scale model, with a simple fin mod & nose weight.

jharding58 03-01-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Since the Canadian Arrow was the V-2 with a longer body tube it only seems fair. And didn't the Silver Comet use the V-2 boat-tail with a canopy version of the nosecone and flashy fins?

GregGleason 03-01-2012 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW, I like the Canadian Arrow. :)

Greg

Bill 03-01-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Since the Canadian Arrow was the V-2 with a longer body tube it only seems fair. And didn't the Silver Comet use the V-2 boat-tail with a canopy version of the nosecone and flashy fins?

Yes.

Bill

tbzep 03-01-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Or could be made into an accurate scale model, with a simple fin mod & nose weight.

If it's like the old Estes kit that used the PNC-80K, it will need a pointy tip added to it. It seems like the kit was also stretched a little in length in addition to the oversized fins, but I might be thinking of some of the larger V-2 kits that have been produced.

dlazarus6660 03-01-2012 06:45 PM

Canadaian Arrow kit

I just traded away a Canadaian Arrow kit for another OOP kit. Now I can replace with what I was going to do with the Canadaian Arrow kit.
A V-2.