Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Soren's Rocket (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9410)

Gary Byrum 06-09-2011 04:12 PM

Soren's Rocket

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all. New to the site but a vintage rocketeer. As a total scratch builder / designer, I have a fleet of rockets that I designed myself and occasionally I'll do a rendition of something I didn't design but wanted to build. You may remember Soren of Star Trek Generations, (the bad guy).
Public Missiles designed his rocket and there were no available plans for it so I went about it the hard way and came up with a pretty good rendition. Hasn't been flown yet but I'm anxious to get it up. Used BT 70 for the main airframe, hand made the clear payload section and turned the nose on my lathe. Didn't have much choice on these notes. Was wondering if any of you has attempted one of these.

tbzep 06-09-2011 04:22 PM

Looks good. Paramount was stingy by not letting PML offer info or sell a kit.

Are you going to create a scale Nexus or just launch it into a thunderstorm? :cool:

Gary Byrum 06-09-2011 04:33 PM

I agree. I searched hi & lo for something and all I found was a good photo of it on display. I used that in Autocad to do a basic layout. Public Missiles said they had no available build photos and the movie pyro techs did the payload section. I had to capture photos from a YouTube portion of the movie that gave me a 50% advantage of the payload interior. 1/2 of it looks like the real thing and the other 1/2 was off the hip.

Randy 06-10-2011 06:50 AM

Very nice!

It's a little late for this one but where you can see the recessed middle parts, it would make a perfect night launch rocket if you could recess some l.e.d.'s around there.

Great rocket though!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

PaulK 06-10-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Byrum
Hi all. New to the site but a vintage rocketeer. As a total scratch builder / designer, I have a fleet of rockets that I designed myself and occasionally I'll do a rendition of something I didn't design but wanted to build. You may remember Soren of Star Trek Generations, (the bad guy)..
That's really slick Gary. Is this 24mm? All the recovery stuff fits below the payload?

GregGleason 06-10-2011 08:40 AM

What a funny coincidence, I watched that movie with my children a few days ago.

I forgot that it had a rocket in it (the last time I saw it was during its theatrical release in 1994, way before I got back into rocketry). Does anyone know if an HPR was used?

Greg

tbzep 06-10-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
What a funny coincidence, I watched that movie with my children a few days ago.

I forgot that it had a rocket in it (the last time I saw it was during its theatrical release in 1994, way before I got back into rocketry). Does anyone know if an HPR was used?

Greg

Yes, it was HPR. If you watch the credits you will see Public Missiles Limited (PML) that we've mentioned here. :cool:

Edit: Straight from Andy Waddell's lips.....er fingertips:
Quote:
Andy Waddell
Dec 29 2000, 5:57 pm
Newsgroups: rec.models.rockets
From: "Andy Waddell" <adwadd...@home.com> Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:57:12 GMT Local: Fri, Dec 29 2000 5:57 pm

Subject: Re: Specs for star destroying missile in star trek generations

The original did indeed fly; it's not special effects in the movie, it's the actual rocket on a K something-or-other. Don't recall exactly the motor. Whether it still exists I don't know, but I doubt it. IIRC, they had us build a number of them so they could do multiple takes (recovery was "lawn dart into the desert floor" method, so there wasn't anything left to fly again!). They may have some of the other ones we built left, I don't know. (This project was before my time at PML, so I wasn't involved with it directly). -- Andrew D. Waddell PML Online Support Rep NAR L2 52875/TRA L2 2043 Email: ADWadd...@home.com PML: www.publicmissiles.com

And after a little more hunting, I believe they were flown on single use Aerotech K1050's.

GregGleason 06-10-2011 09:09 AM

Thanks and that is cool! :cool:

Now that you wrote that, I now remember that I stumbled across that info at a PML or PML-related site (but that a few years ago, and I've slept since then).

I think that rocket prep is much easier if you are just concerned with the "going up" part! :chuckle:

Greg

Gary Byrum 06-10-2011 09:16 AM

Error

@ Randy...Yes I considered the led lights but didn't bother. I'm not going to launch it in the dark anyway. @ Paul...Yes, Separation point is below the payload section. I was amazed it weighed in at 9 ounces when completed and anticipated the use of 24mm motors from the start. I'd prolly fly it with no less than a D-9-4. Sure would be nice to post the video I'm going to take.

Sorry. I meant D-12-3.

Feyd 06-10-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Thanks and that is cool! :cool:

Now that you wrote that, I now remember that I stumbled across that info at a PML or PML-related site (but that a few years ago, and I've slept since then).

Here is the PML website about Soren's Probe rocket