Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Cardstock Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Show and Tell , Newest Project, OddRocs (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16824)

scott_mills 09-11-2017 10:07 AM

Show and Tell , Newest Project, OddRocs

2 Attachment(s)
OK So I've been feeling nostalgic for the southwest lately since that was where I grew up. That is why I built the wagon wheel. Also Can you guess which scifi television show that i have been binge watching lately ?

I really do believe that Foam-core is a very under utilized material for building odd rocs and science fiction based model rockets. It is incredibly cheap, and light , For the last 3 projects i have used less than 1 full sheet apiece from the DOLLAR store.

tbzep 09-11-2017 04:00 PM

Stargate SG-1 :cool:

Rob Campbell 09-11-2017 05:49 PM

Jaffa! Cree!

Jerry Irvine 09-11-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
OK So I've been feeling nostalgic for the southwest lately since that was where I grew up. That is why I built the wagon wheel. Also Can you guess which scifi television show that i have been binge watching lately ?

I really do believe that Foam-core is a very under utilized material for building odd rocs and science fiction based model rockets. It is incredibly cheap, and light , For the last 3 projects i have used less than 1 full sheet apiece from the DOLLAR store.
Can it be laser cut?

scott_mills 09-11-2017 09:10 PM

I only had 1 opportunity to laser cut foam core, and it didn't include any time to tweak the cutting speed and intensity. It does cut great, but the foam between the card stock shrinks back from the heat of the laser leaving a noticeable concave space, almost an eighth of an inch deep.

Jerry Irvine 09-12-2017 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
I only had 1 opportunity to laser cut foam core, and it didn't include any time to tweak the cutting speed and intensity. It does cut great, but the foam between the card stock shrinks back from the heat of the laser leaving a noticeable concave space, almost an eighth of an inch deep.

So that might promote gluing on something like this. Please disregard that this particular part is cylindrical not flat.

Jerry

scott_mills 09-14-2017 02:37 PM

I suppose it does provide a space for glue to be, but I'm used to using elmers which shrinks. That extra space would be good for epoxy, but that would be overkill, for this light cheap material.

GlenP 10-11-2017 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another cardstock odd-rocket, C1-10P, aka Chopper from Star Wars Rebels.
I found the template on paper-replika.com and put in an 18mm engine mount.
Removable fin units will be made to insert into the bottom of the feet similar to the old Estes R2-D2.

tbzep 10-11-2017 06:06 PM

Nice C1-10P. I've done a couple of simple paper rockets and my son built several including a rather large Little Joe II with a dowel framed escape tower. I've never done any complex paper rockets like that.

GlenP 10-11-2017 07:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The body and head are fairly easy, the legs and feet have lots of little details on them, most challenging paper model I have built. I have to do the R2-D2 now. Here are the fin units, kind of used a fin shape similar to an X-wing... Yes, those are 13mm tubes, and no, I do not plan on clustering, hopefully this will get high enough to open a chute on a C6-3 before hitting the ground.