Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Estes Kit Changes from 2006 to 2007 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1526)

Ltvscout 03-06-2007 08:19 AM

Estes Kit Changes from 2006 to 2007

I just went through and compared the Feb 15th 2006 Estes price list (last one I had on hand) to the March 1st 2007 price list. I only compared rocket kits and motors. I didn't bother with their toys and the parts.

Here is what has been discontinued:

#1434 Max Trax Starter Set
#2193 X Prize Eagle
#1676 E9-P motor
#1750 Gnome Bulk Pack Rockets

Here is what is new since the 02-15-06 price list:

#1412 X-15 Starter Set
#1899 Astrovision Digital Camera Rocket Launch Set
#1896 Puma
#0651 Der Red Max
#1807 Snitch
#1895 Patriarch
#1960 Nova Payloader
#2027 Pop Fly
#2029 Converter
#2050 Super Neon
#2169 Dragonite
#2182 Wacky Wiggler
#1295 Mean Machine
#2037 D-Region Tomahawk
#2121 Liquidator
#1793 UP Aerospace SpaceLoft Bulk Pack Rockets

Gus 03-06-2007 01:36 PM

In addition to the others already talked about, this is the first I've heard the Snitch and Wacky Wiggler are back.

Kind of odd that they closed out all those Snitches through liquidators last year and now they're back. I wonder if they bumped them up to D's. Any design change you know about? I have to admit I was surprised when they dropped it in the first pace.

As for the Wacky Wiggler, still a bunch of the old ones out there. I never had the impression it was a big seller.

Daniel Runyon 03-06-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Kind of odd that they closed out all those Snitches through liquidators last year and now they're back. I wonder if they bumped them up to D's.

It says they operate on B6-0 and C6-0.

I dig the idea of saucer rockets, but these look pretty dang cheesy!

Royatl 03-06-2007 03:47 PM

That's because they *are* cheesy. Yet many people like them (and you'll see lots of odd little rockets like that at our launches). One member flies almost nothing but saucers, spools, compact discs, pyramids, etc. At a high power launch last year he flew a bigger saucer on one of Aerotech's new Warp-9 motors.

Daniel Runyon 03-06-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
One member flies almost nothing but saucers, spools, compact discs, pyramids, etc.

That's cool by me! I could get into some saucer and oddball action no problem, I just wouldn't enjoy something as simplistic, VERY unrealistic (and I could be very forgiving of a lot of saucer kits as far as this aspect goes), and just plain toyish looking as the Snitch.

But then, a lot of people deeply enjoy a lot of things that I just cannot understand why... witness the phenomenon of NASCAR! It's hard on me sometimes, but I really do know that The Universe doesn't revolve around me and my tastes... but I do have an excuse of sorts... I'm an only child!

The_Forgotten 03-06-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I just went through and compared the Feb 15th 2006 Estes price list (last one I had on hand) to the March 1st 2007 price list. I only compared rocket kits and motors. I didn't bother with their toys and the parts.

Here is what has been discontinued:

#1434 Max Trax Starter Set
#2193 X Prize Eagle
#1676 E9-P motor
#1750 Gnome Bulk Pack Rockets

Here is what is new since the 02-15-06 price list:

#1412 X-15 Starter Set
#1899 Astrovision Digital Camera Rocket Launch Set
#1896 Puma
#0651 Der Red Max
#1807 Snitch
#1895 Patriarch
#1960 Nova Payloader
#2027 Pop Fly
#2029 Converter
#2050 Super Neon
#2169 Dragonite
#2182 Wacky Wiggler
#1295 Mean Machine
#2037 D-Region Tomahawk
#2121 Liquidator
#1793 UP Aerospace SpaceLoft Bulk Pack Rockets

so the Canadian Arrow and the rest of the X-prize rockets are in the 07 catalog (or price list) still? There's been much talk that the Canadian Arrow is OOP. My catalog should be here tomorrow, so then I can know definitively. :)

Royatl 03-06-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forgotten
so the Canadian Arrow and the rest of the X-prize rockets are in the 07 catalog (or price list) still? There's been much talk that the Canadian Arrow is OOP. My catalog should be here tomorrow, so then I can know definitively. :)

"Discontinued" may not be the best word to use. Essentially, they've made all they're going to make, but they probably have plenty left at current demand. Unless, of course, the X-Prize people extended the license terms without Estes having to do anything additional?

It's interesting to note that somewhere on the web there's a picture of Estes CEO Barry Tunick in the Estes Offices standing next to a *large* model of the Eagle.

Ltvscout 03-06-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

No, the Canadian Arrow wasn't in the 02-15-06 price list either.

The_Forgotten 03-06-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
"Discontinued" may not be the best word to use. Essentially, they've made all they're going to make, but they probably have plenty left at current demand. Unless, of course, the X-Prize people extended the license terms without Estes having to do anything additional?

It's interesting to note that somewhere on the web there's a picture of Estes CEO Barry Tunick in the Estes Offices standing next to a *large* model of the Eagle.

I didn't use the word "Discontinued"... you did... :p

In any event, there aren't any more rolling off the lines, supplies will diminish eventually, and all will be doomed... :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Royatl 03-06-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:
I didn't use the word "Discontinued"... you did... :p

In any event, there aren't any more rolling off the lines, supplies will diminish eventually, and all will be doomed... :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

OOPS, you're right. You used OOP. Did I say OOPS? OOPS, no I didn't. Oh well :o Hey, I was still at work... I was distracted! I was framed, I tell ya!