Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Grab 'em by the Proboscis. Mosquito TK-1, #0801 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17055)

Overeasy123 01-03-2018 05:34 PM

Grab 'em by the Proboscis. Mosquito TK-1, #0801

5 Attachment(s)
Yeah, that's them. With the balsa cones. I better load up a fresh #11 in case the laser-cut fins don't just fall out. You know, I'm automatically attracted to Bill Simon designs. I just start modeling them. It's like a magnet. Just model. I don't even wait. And when you're a YORF Member, they let you do it. You can clone anything.

ghrocketman 01-03-2018 05:51 PM

That's a whole lotta 'skeeters !

jeffyjeep 01-03-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That's a whole lotta 'skeeters !

Hear! Hear! That’s more ‘skeeters than the U.P. In August! (Eh!)

ghrocketman 01-04-2018 02:49 AM

They have Mosquitos the size of small birds in the U.P.

jeffyjeep 01-04-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:
They have Mosquitos the size of small birds in the U.P.

...and they’re twice as voracious!

foamy 01-06-2018 07:17 AM

A veritable swarm!

neil_w 01-06-2018 08:57 PM

I guess I have to be the one to ask: why so many?

Overeasy123 01-06-2018 11:09 PM

Why so many, Neil? You think it's equal parts Masochism (that's a lot of fillets) and an Ideological Failing with Hillbilly Underpinnings (I can't swing a Corvette, but I can collect a half-dozen cracked-block Chevettes, in my front yard!)?

Mostly a case of the parts having been so cheap from NC Semroc, I bet. And, they are adorable. I'm curious to see what a swarm of 'em look like in the classic design with varying colors. Although not the most visible colors, I want a couple in white with the single fin in metallic aluminum.

As I'm getting a break in the gelid weather this week, I'll get the cones doped and fill spirals with primer.

jeffyjeep 01-06-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy123
Why so many, Neil? You think it's equal parts Masochism (that's a lot of fillets) and an Ideological Failing with Hillbilly Underpinnings (I can't swing a Corvette, but I can collect a half-dozen cracked-block Chevettes, in my front yard!)?

Mostly a case of the parts having been so cheap from NC Semroc, I bet. And, they are adorable. I'm curious to see what a swarm of 'em look like in the classic design with varying colors. Although not the most visible colors, I want a couple in white with the single fin in metallic aluminum.

As I'm getting a break in the gelid weather this week, I'll get the cones doped and fill spirals with primer.

I had to look up the word “gelid”. I learned a new word today!

ghrocketman 01-07-2018 01:37 PM

I'd refrain from flying the white/silver ones if you hope to keep them.

Overeasy123 01-11-2018 01:39 PM

In for a Penny, in for a Pound

9 Attachment(s)
One coat of Dope on the Balsa. Went a bit Heavy with the sanding in places. I may have eroded the profile of some cones. (Caused some unnecessary gouging too, with the edge of the sandpaper.) I'll try to keep my chin up, and spray some Filler Primer.

ghrocketman 01-11-2018 01:56 PM

I can't remember the company name, but years ago there was a company that offered a GIANT L2-capable Mosquito called the "Skeeter" that had a 54mm mount.
Always wanted to build one of those, but never did. I think it was 7.5" diameter and only went to like 800' on a J350W which was great for single-deploy.

tbzep 01-11-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:
I can't remember the company name, but years ago there was a company that offered a GIANT L2-capable Mosquito called the "Skeeter" that had a 54mm mount.
Always wanted to build one of those, but never did. I think it was 7.5" diameter and only went to like 800' on a J350W which was great for single-deploy.

Polecat made a Skeeter, but I think it was a 5.5".

ghrocketman 01-11-2018 05:19 PM

This one was bigger than the Polecat 5.5" one. Maybe it was a scratch-build but I thought it was a kit. I remember it because it only hit around 800' on a baby-J and seemed ideal and easy for L2.

Overeasy123 01-11-2018 11:42 PM

Passive Toxorhynchites Rostrum 6.5+

4 Attachment(s)
These Mosquitos were bound to get unruly, so's I cooked up a quick solution. I call it the P.T.R 6.5+, an acronym for Passive Toxorhynchites Rostrum. If anybody needs the schematic I can get it you as soon as I'm done polishing it.

Kebab skewers staggered every 1.5 inches allow my P.T.R to comfortably accommodate 10 Skeeters.

Overeasy123 01-18-2018 08:09 PM

Breaking the Ice

4 Attachment(s)
Glue-Up of Mosquito #1. Head down, just 27 more fins to go!

Overeasy123 01-20-2018 04:38 PM

Join the Skeeter Army

9 Attachment(s)
2 Square, 2 Paddled, and 8 LE/TE Rounded with tips left Square. I'm thinking that the rounded LE/TE with square tips will add interest. That's certainly not how I finished my Mega Mosquito, but given the scale difference... eh?

Next? Launch Lugs and fillets.

Inspiration rarely strikes, and I shudder to think that this idea coincided with Tuesday's Meteor Flash over SE Michigan, but I've decided on the perfect livery for a fleet of Mosquitos! Imagine 2X Spa Blue with a dappling of happy little white clouds conveyed via fan brush, then, from the rear, a generous spray of 2X Oregano or some such drab olive color! Can you see it?

Overeasy123 01-26-2018 05:26 PM

The Fillet Files, #1

4 Attachment(s)
I've decided the best Plan of Attack involves 5 Fillets per Bird, then doping and sanding the fins; lastly, adding the Launch Lug and filleting along said Lug.

Overeasy123 06-10-2018 06:53 PM

Lugs & Primer

3 Attachment(s)
10 'Squitos with lugs, and first coat of primer. I decided to go easy with the lug fillets: I masked top & bottom, and smoothed the MTG with my finger.

LeeR 06-10-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I had to look up the word “gelid”. I learned a new word today!

And here I thought it was the word “humid” that was fat fingered on the keyboard ...

LeeR 06-10-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy123
Yeah, that's them. With the balsa cones. I better load up a fresh #11 in case the laser-cut fins don't just fall out. You know, I'm automatically attracted to Bill Simon designs. I just start modeling them. It's like a magnet. Just model. I don't even wait. And when you're a YORF Member, they let you do it. You can clone anything.

I too am in a Bill Simon build mode.

Built a Sky Hook earlier this year, and doing an upscale using a Panavia kit.
Did an Astron Cobra a few years ago, always loved that model. Finishing up an upscaled Cobra for NARAM.
The Apogee II was my first stager. I want to build another.
Did Bill design the Astron Drifter? I had one as a kid. I’m thinking that an upscale is in order.
I’ve seen the list of his designs, most of which escape me at the moment, but I do remember saying I liked most, if not all, of his models.

tbzep 06-11-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I’ve seen the list of his designs, most of which escape me at the moment, but I do remember saying I liked most, if not all, of his models.

Go to the old SEMROC site and use Bill Simon's name in the designer filter.
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicKits.asp

K-5 Apogee
K-7 Phantom
K-5 Apogee II
K-8 Sky Hook
K-10 Cobra
K-12 Farside
K-12X Farside-X
K-14 Drifter
K-25 Alpha
K-37 Scrambler
K-38 Avenger
K-39 Semi-Scale Saturn V
K-40 Midget
K-44 Birdie
K-45 Beta
K-53 Stinger
TK-1 Mosquito
TK-2 Screamer
K-7B Phantom
0701 Firing Line Starter (Vampire) co-designer
0702 Firing Line Launch System co-designer
TK-40 Midget
TK-44 Birdie
TK-45 Beta
K-59 SPEV
K-65 Scissor-Wing Transport co-designer
K-25 Alpha
K-72 Vostok
K-76 Antares
K-77 Icarus
K-80 Firefly
0807 Condor
K-8 Sky Hook

LeeR 06-11-2018 03:09 PM

I’ve used the old site before, but never noticed this page before. Nice!

And yes, most of his designs I like. Still need to build a Farside-X!

I visited e-Rockets on the Build Night before NSL, but promisied myself I’d not buy anything that night. We were on a 2-1/2 week road trip and I already had table, chairs, easy-up, rocket box, and tool box packed. For just a day of flying at NSL. :)

Our time at NSL was short, but we did meet Vern and Gleda Estes, as well as Ellis Langford and his wife. Vern and Gleda signed my 40+ year old Saros out on the field. I also visited with Peter Alway, who was promoting a new book on V-2 paint schemes. Of course I bought one, and had him sign. I met Peter about 20 years ago and it was great to visit with him again. We attended the banquet, heard the “fireside chat” Estes story from Vern and Gleda, and we were all honored to sign the 4” Big Bertha that was there for guests to sign before it headed to Vern’s home museum.

By the way, thanks for posting the Bill Simon list!

Overeasy123 06-18-2018 07:15 PM

White Primer

6 Attachment(s)
First Mosquito in 2X White Primer. When they're all sprayed and sanded smooth, I can begin worrying about color. Marigold/Black, Sun Yellow/Berry Pink, Berry Pink/Purple, Real Orange/Spa Blue. Aw heck, just finish them all in Golden Sunset, with the singular, and classic, black fin. That'll present as a Swarm of Nostalgic Good Times.