Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What Does CATO Stand For? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2398)

mojo1986 10-31-2007 08:47 AM

What Does CATO Stand For?

I know what a CATO is, but what are the origins of this acronym? I've always wondered what the letters actually stand for, and just realised that someone here will probably be able to answer the question. Hands up if you know.............

Joe

pyrovette20 10-31-2007 08:57 AM

Catostrophic failure

Shreadvector 10-31-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I know what a CATO is, but what are the origins of this acronym? I've always wondered what the letters actually stand for, and just realised that someone here will probably be able to answer the question. Hands up if you know.............

Joe

It is not an acronym, it is an abbreviation for Catastrophic Failure. Like "combo" is an abbreviation of "combination".

Many people assumed or were told it was an acronym, and some invented words to conform to the letters to create a false acronym. They then told others who believed them. The worst example (and most illogical) is "Catastrophe At Take Off". This is illogical for several reasons that any thinking person should be able to quickly realize:

1) Rockets do not "take-off". They "launch" or "lift-off" (if they are from the 1950's) they "blast-off".

2) motor failures which are Catos include failures that occur anytime during motor burn, including at ignition, 1/4 second after ignition as the rocket is already leaving the launch rod and all the way through dealy failure (which is also catastrophic).

tfischer 10-31-2007 12:00 PM

The fact that it's in all caps doesn't help the confusion. I don't order a COMBO at Subway or talk on the PHONE...

-Tim

UMRS 10-31-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986

Joe

It really stands for "%*&##$@!!*$#@" so much for all the hardwork on the spirals and sealing the balsa wood.

:)

Chas Russell 10-31-2007 12:45 PM

Unkie Mike hit right on the nose.

Not everyone capitalizes cato. Except to begin a sentence.

Regardless, it is still a four-letter word!

Chas

ghrocketman 10-31-2007 01:35 PM

Gotta agree with Uncle Mike here on this one.
They are almost always result in post flight flavorful statements such as G$# D@#!, P*&^% O! S%&$ and other good ones !

tbzep 10-31-2007 04:02 PM

You guys ever notice that a cato always happens to one of your favorite rockets, yet nothing ever happens to your "throw away" type rockets that you will launch with any motor in any wind condition? :rolleyes:

UMRS 10-31-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You guys ever notice that a cato always happens to one of your favorite rockets, yet nothing ever happens to your "throw away" type rockets that you will launch with any motor in any wind condition? :rolleyes:

That is good point #2

ghrocketman 11-01-2007 10:27 AM

Gotta agree with that one too....
Some rockets, no matter what you do they always come back even when you are trying to lose/crash/CATO/destroy/orbit them, like a DISEASE. Such as an old beat up no-name BT-50 3fnc 24mm powered rocket with an 18" chute flown on an E9-4 (purposefully short delay and overpowered)
Others like a nicely built Cherokee-D almost always (have about a 3 to 1 chance of losing to recovering) get lost on the first flight of a D12-7 and 18" chute combo even in a HUGE field.